Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:55 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,039 times

Advertisements

The alcohol laws in Pennsylvania are becoming more lax, I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. You can indeed buy liquor at some grocery stores, albeit, it is normally a licensed "state-store" that is inside the grocery store. Gas Stations are also allowed to apply for licenses to sell such booze as "six-packs" etc. Sheetz has been obtaining many of these licenses. It'll just be a matter of time before the laws are just like any other state. There is a ton of red tape preventing it atm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 08:45 AM

237 posts, read 859,975 times
I wouldn't say that they are getting lax quickly.

The only true changes have been the Liquor stores open on Sundays and some small changes to distributors/six-pack shop rules.

Sheetz may be buying up six-pack licenses, but there is still a long way to go in the courts before that becomes common. The one store (in Altoona) that does have it has had their beer section open and reclosed repeatedly as the appeals work their way through the courts.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't say that they are getting lax quickly.
I never said that.
Quote:
The only true changes have been the Liquor stores open on Sundays and some small changes to distributors/six-pack shop rules.
There are pretty significant changes in Pennsylvania.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:48 AM

314 posts, read 849,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
LOL isn't a law in NOLA that you HAVE to drink liquor?? ;-) I have never understood Texas's "Dry laws", They force alcoholics to drive further while drunk to buy liquor. Makes no sense to me.
Nor do i understand teh concept that bars have to close at 2. everybody just does like 50 shots and then hits the road. the shots don't even hit 'em till they are halfway home. NOLa has the idea with 24 hour bars! Yea! LOL.
And yes. If you live in this area, you have to drink and eat to excess. that is what every festival is around here. Food or liquor. That is why I am leaving. I hardly ever drink anymore. I haven't met my quota

Old 10-10-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Nor do i understand teh concept that bars have to close at 2.
This used to really bother me, too. UNTIL...

lol

I started visiting other cities where bars are open up to a few hours later and I always found myself wanting to leave around 2 anyway. I wasn't sure if it was just because I've been so conditioned into doing so, or if I genuinely feel like I want to go home and that I'm tired and plenty drunk by then. I sometimes go to afterhours in Pittsburgh until around 3 or 3:30 and I'm pretty miserable by that point. LOL. Or hungry!!!!!!!! I'd much rather be at midnight buffet at Eat N Park. YES!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 09:19 PM

713 posts, read 1,865,681 times
I don't see why PA has the liquor laws that it does. The following article suggest that state liquor stores should be privatized: http://www.alleghenyinstitute.org/briefs/vol7no21.pdf (broken link)

Unfortunately, PA politics dictate that no one is allowed to lose their state job, even if it means lower taxes and a better business climate for everyone else. So we'll probably still have this antiquated non-essential government function for a long time.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:45 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstrip View Post
Too funny!! I just started working at the Wegman's in Allentown, during the day, while my kids are in school. It is an amazing grocery store, isn't it?? Of course, this one, being in PA, doesn't have beer or wine but I have heard how nice the one's in VA are with their wine dept.
Wegmans is the best!

I go to one of the three newly-built stores in No Va...the entire bottom level is a dedicated "wine cellar" with labels form all over the world, as well as several local wineries...they even have weekly tastings.

Even though there's a store in Erie, too bad they probably won't ever come to Pgh....Giant Eagle has too much of a monopoly.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:56 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
Wegmans is the best!

I go to one of the three newly-built stores in No Va...the entire bottom level is a dedicated "wine cellar" with labels form all over the world, as well as several local wineries...they even have weekly tastings.

Even though there's a store in Erie, too bad they probably won't ever come to Pgh....Giant Eagle has too much of a monopoly.

*groan* I HATE Giant Eagle, it's such a dump! How do I try to bring it to the media's attention? Not that Eagle is such a dump (which is IS compared to so many other grocery stores) but to actually GET a Wegman's in this area! Pittsburgh is so behind the eight ball in retail. (I know you have Robinson Towne Center - most cities have one of those in every neighborhood.)

If you build it they will come.................. *smile*

Thanks

Old 10-13-2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
I don't see why PA has the liquor laws that it does. The following article suggest that state liquor stores should be privatized: http://www.alleghenyinstitute.org/briefs/vol7no21.pdf (broken link)

Unfortunately, PA politics dictate that no one is allowed to lose their state job, even if it means lower taxes and a better business climate for everyone else. So we'll probably still have this antiquated non-essential government function for a long time.
Which is SO dumb. People drink more because it's such a pain in the arse to go to the beer store that they have to "stock up."
And you are right, it would certainly make it easier for the business owners. I think that is one of my main complaints about Pittsburgh, lack of grocery stores that are nice and large and the fact you can't buy beer at the store.

Don't get me wrong, I love Pittsburgh and can't wait to get back next week, but I'd love it more if I could go to Wegman's buy some beer............ *smile*

Old 10-13-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
This used to really bother me, too. UNTIL...

lol

I started visiting other cities where bars are open up to a few hours later and I always found myself wanting to leave around 2 anyway. I wasn't sure if it was just because I've been so conditioned into doing so, or if I genuinely feel like I want to go home and that I'm tired and plenty drunk by then. I sometimes go to afterhours in Pittsburgh until around 3 or 3:30 and I'm pretty miserable by that point. LOL. Or hungry!!!!!!!! I'd much rather be at midnight buffet at Eat N Park. YES!!!
I agree the 2 o'clock thing is not bad. Seriously, do you really need to be out at 4am? AHHHHHHHH!

Oh and by the way, I will be spending 12 hours in an airport tomorrow. YUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh