Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I agree w/the posters who have said they've never heard anyone say Pixburg, Sliberty, etc. - as pointed out in other probably old posts, there are words/sayings that are regional: gumband, nebby, chipped ham..... (all I can think of at the moment) - some of the other things I've heard in other areas, yinz, youns, yall, - there is some variation of the though to let your dog go out into the yard - "left the dog out" comes to mind
Tell me where else you've heard yinz/yunz. Y'all is not a Pittsburgh colloquialism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 12:30 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Knowing that you grew up here that just seems impossible to me! Sweeper is one of the most widely used of the Pittsburghese terms. Even some people that don't otherwise speak with a Pittsburgh accent/dialect at all still end up saying sweeper instead of vacuum.
BUT -- both my parents were from the middle of the state (Bedford County) and my mother's heritage was PA Dutch. I say all sorts of weird stuff you've probably never heard, although I am losing it as time goes by. ( guess I need to make some creamed lettuce....)

I never had the Pittsburgh accent... although the "to be" thing had me pegged as being from Pittsburgh. In fact, some people hear a very slight drawl because my father spoke with one. And when I lived in PA, I had a few people think I was from England when I worked front desk at a hotel... I think it was the lack of the Pittsburgh accent.

But there's always those little oddities. I grew up calling those elongated sprinkles on top of ice cream Jimmies. My husband (born and raised in Beaver County) was SURE I got that because the place we used to get soft serve in Cranberry was called Jimmies. Nope -- the round ones are sprinkles and the long ones are jimmies.

Just checked with hubs -- they called it a sweeper too....

Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My mother calls a vacuum a "sweeper" and she's never left Cincinnati. A broom is a broom.
The full name is Vacuum-sweeper.

That is left over from years ago, Refrigerators are Iceboxes, Margarine is Oleo.

For some a bit younger, photocopies are Xeroxes.

Remember clicker for remote?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:41 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Picksburg, yinz, he don't, I aint got, I seen.

Will never utter those words. Only people that do are either lazy, dumb, or both.
So true and the same goes for the people who call our city The Burgh.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:05 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Picksburg, yinz, he don't, I aint got, I seen.

Will never utter those words. Only people that do are either lazy, dumb, or both.
How about cousint? Or stold?

Old 10-04-2012, 10:14 AM

9,330 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Nope, but then again, I'm grew up outside that other big Pennsylvania city.

When I came to Pittsburgh for college, a lot of my PGH-area native friends chided me for "talking funny." Their accents were actually very neutral for the most part, almost like newsspeak, although they would sometimes use PGH-specific phrases like "redd up" and "needs washed."

Old 10-04-2012, 11:21 AM

995 posts, read 1,115,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post

That is left over from years ago, Refrigerators are Iceboxes, Margarine is Oleo.

For some a bit younger, photocopies are Xeroxes.

Remember clicker for remote?
Yes! to all of these.
I was puzzled by the posts from people who called them a vacuum OR a sweeper lol. As I've gotten older, I admit I've pretty much dropped the vacuum part tho.
Does everyone use them as verbs tho? I haven't ever said "I vacuumed the living room" It's always "I ran the vacuum in the living room"
Xeroxes are both nouns and verbs, and occasionally redundant. "Xerox this, please" and "This is a xerox copy"
My aunts and mother called our refrigerators "the fridge" tho. My grandmother called it the icebox, because it truly had ice blocks in there.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 PM

480 posts, read 611,712 times
Picksburgh is terrible. It makes me cringe every time I hear it. Most intelligent people I know NEVER say this. I don't even know why people say it like that. It's NOT yinzer speak. It's idiot speak.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:56 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghuser View Post
It's NOT yinzer speak. It's idiot speak.
Same thing, isn't it?

Old 10-05-2012, 12:40 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Actually, it's vacuum-cleaner. A sweeper has brushes, but no vacuum, and is an older invention. Since the vacuum evolved from the sweeper, many people attached the old name to the new device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh