Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Thinking about the overall quality of life, how would you rate the region as a place to live?
Excellent 33 28.45%
Very Good 57 49.14%
Good 12 10.34%
Fair 7 6.03%
Poor 7 6.03%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 03:59 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,018,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Can you please stop beating around the bush when referencing me and just come right out and say what's on your mind?
Not everything is about you, SCR. Although I wish it was, because that would mean you were the only person who did things like that. Alas, there are plenty of others who do all those things I mentioned. Especially those people who vote to raise taxes even though they wont stay in the town very long or (for a variety of reasons) they won't end up paying much of those taxes.

Every city has people who do that, and the most pathetic part is these people often have delusions that the residents of the town will thank them for doing this, because they see it as doing the city a "big favor" before they left.

Happens a lot with college kids, as well as those people who move to one city after another, always hoping to find some sort of paradise that doesn't actually exist. They often have the best intentions that their new city "needs" various idealistic projects. It's easy to vote for things when you know that in a few years you will be moving and someone else will foot the bill (not to mention have to deal with construction hassles to build all these fabulous "improvements.").

That's why I wish there was some sort of residency requirement before people were allowed to vote on taxes. You have to have bought property and/or have lived in a town for at least 5 years--something along those lines. And yes, I know there are problems with that idea, too, and that's why such rules don't exist--but it would be nice if there was a way to limit who can vote on raising taxes so that the people who vote for projects also have to pay for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'd be more than happy to pay a higher wage tax so we could have better public services here. My rent has increased consistently since I moved to the East End in 2010, and I'd be willing to pay higher rent to offset an increase in my landlady's property tax burden if it meant that the higher tax bill provided we residents with better services.
Considering how much you gripe about your rent, this is a bit difficult to believe. Also, it sounds like you are willing to have your landlord's property tax increased (and your rent raised the same amount) if you get to dictate which specific services her tax increase would cover. It doesn't quite work that way. The odds are high that the money would service a need in another part of town, or used for something completely different than what you assume it would be used for. Even if you could dictate (and enforce) that the money would only be used to fill potholes, they might concentrate on other parts of the city that have a greater need than the particular streets you drive.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
If tax rates were raised, that would not necessarily mean an increase in city services. It wouldn't necessarily mean a long term increase in revenues either, as some people would leave the town to make it to the surrounding communities that offer lower tax rates.
Yup. Raise the city taxes, and a lot of time places like "soulless Cranberry" end up being the big winners.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:22 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,492,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Yup. Raise the city taxes, and a lot of time places like "soulless Cranberry" end up being the big winners.

Soulless is capitalized.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:23 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,237,532 times
Caladium - I'd rep you for these last three posts if could.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Soulless is capitalized.
LOL LOL and yeah! Damn you, auto correct! Throws in capital letters in the strangest places, changes the word "to" to "yo" and now this. That's what I get for posting from an i-pad.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:47 PM

32,613 posts, read 77,439,770 times
It's been almost a year-and-a-half since this thread was active, but since we've had a lot of newcomers during that timeframe I thought it was a prudent opportunity to "bump" this thread to gain some new perspectives. What say ye, and why?

I initially voted for "Very Good", and I'd vote the same way today. I like this city overall. I'm just worried that if we continue to push for more gentrification and growth WITHOUT making corresponding improvements in the existing infrastructure for transportation and transit that the ensuing congestion will drive more people away.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:12 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,858,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL LOL and yeah! Damn you, auto correct! Throws in capital letters in the strangest places, changes the word "to" to "yo" and now this. That's what I get for posting from an i-pad.
What ever happened to Caladium? Did she change her name?

Old 06-10-2015, 03:15 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,505,135 times
I'd say it depends on the type of lifestyle you want. In general, I'd say in between Good and Very Good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh