Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:02 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Um, no schools have NOTHING to do with it. Parents! That is what matters. You know it and I know it.
That was sarcasm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 07:07 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
That was sarcasm.

No. Parents raise kids, not schools. Goodness, I really feel old if I have to even state this. I mean, you know parents actually RAISE children don't you? Throwing rocks at cars is a parent issue. Schools have nothing to do with an act like that. I can't imagine anyone thinking otherwise.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:49 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Hopefully, the police or someone else on the ground has a beat on these juvenile delinquents on Reed and gets this kind of activity stopped before someone is seriously injured or even killed.

About 12 years ago or so, there was a similar situation around Perrysville and N. Charles where bad actor minors were engaged in the same kind of thing with passing motorists. The situation was reported and the matter was resolved.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:05 PM

80 posts, read 111,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
Driving on Reed Street between Kirkpatrick/Centre yesterday evening between 8/8:30pm. Granted, not the nicest area in Pittsburgh, but its not exactly a war zone.

Slow rolling up to the red light, windows down, and a bunch of kids run down the sidewalk and pelt my car with stones/rocks, then run into the backyards of some of the houses right on Reed Street. The kids were maybe 6-10 years old.

I didnt want to go give chase and leave my car running/open for theft, or walk into something else...so I just sucked it up and drove away.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is this a really bad part of town, and I just don't realize it when driving through there? I've ran through this area several times and never felt threatened.

Also - worth it at all to file a police report? Honestly its a PITA to go to a station and get checked out and everything, all for nothing likely. I'm not exactly worried about the dents.
A similar situation happened to me in the plaza with Trader Joe's near Bakery Square. About six kids near the McDonalds threw something at my car, but I don't think it was a rock because there wasn't any damage at all and it didn't sound like a very dense object. I heard a large "clunk" and then saw the kids laughing at their devious scheme. I figured confronting them would only give them what they want (attention), so I just ignored it, although in hindsight maybe I should have...

Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Well it is about is ridiculous as comparing pinecones to rocks.
Not nearly as ridiculous as comparing throwing stones to shooting kids. That is what you did here.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:34 PM

275 posts, read 628,416 times
In the least call the police once you are in a safe area. Called Broken Window Syndrome, small crimes, especially when kids get away with them only lead to bigger crimes. For all you know this could have been a ploy to get you to stop and then they steal your car, kill you, or rob you. You are in bad situation. Even if they catch the kids good luck getting any kind of restitution. Parents I am certain are part of the 47%

Old 10-05-2012, 02:09 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts10yrs View Post
Parents I am certain are part of the 47%
Very pertinent information.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:01 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
As the thread continues I'd like to remind everybody to stay calm, respectful and on topic.
If that doesn't work, I'd like to remind you all of the tos and threaten with infractions, maybe this approach will do the trick
Carry on, but behave. Please.
Yac.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:45 AM

556 posts, read 1,228,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Not a reflection on the neighborhood... Just people's parents...
I went to Schenley, I can say it's pretty reflective of the neighborhood. Just IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh