Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is pittsburgh northeatern or midwestern?
Northeastern 100 51.28%
Midwestern 45 23.08%
other 50 25.64%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 07:26 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,072,367 times

Advertisements

"Mountains"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 06:25 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,846,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Imo anything west of the mountains is midwest. That makes pittsburgh "other".
.... Typical "East Coast Bubblist"

Old 06-05-2014, 04:57 PM

4,797 posts, read 5,981,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Upstate New Yorkers say "pop", too. They say "soda" in Milwaukee. There are tons of pop/soda maps on here to puruse.

I do agree that Pittsburgh is northeast.
Pittsburgh is NE geographically and culturally I don't think it is East Coast. It's proximity to the South and Midwest just makes it a hodge podge.

BUT, for those saying the Midwest is conservative, I think that is a misconception. Two of the most Democratic cities are Chicago and Detroit. Granted, Detroit is UAW Democrat but there is a huge Progressive presence in Chicago.

Other regions that are Midwest and Blue are Madison, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, the entire Northwest Region of Indiana, most of Iowa, Minnesota. The Midwest is probably purple at best. But you want conservative, the Midwest isn't the best region to look, unless you want the Western edge of the Midwest (like the Dakotas and Nebraska).

Denver btw is in the Frontier/Mountain region. Not Midwest.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:05 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
As a native Midwesterner, that's crazy to me. I'd agree that it could be Great Plains, but doesn't anybody think in terms of "Mountain West" out there?

Granted, the Midwest is geographically large and culturally diverse, but places like Pittsburgh and Denver are just so different from the majority of the Midwest to me that I couldn't bring myself to call either "Midwestern" with a straight face...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Pittsburgh is NE geographically and culturally I don't think it is East Coast. It's proximity to the South and Midwest just makes it a hodge podge.

BUT, for those saying the Midwest is conservative, I think that is a misconception. Two of the most Democratic cities are Chicago and Detroit. Granted, Detroit is UAW Democrat but there is a huge Progressive presence in Chicago.

Other regions that are Midwest and Blue are Madison, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, the entire Northwest Region of Indiana, most of Iowa, Minnesota. The Midwest is probably purple at best. But you want conservative, the Midwest isn't the best region to look, unless you want the Western edge of the Midwest (like the Dakotas and Nebraska).

Denver btw is in the Frontier/Mountain region. Not Midwest.
Denver is not in the mountains.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:13 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,574,016 times
Quote:
Exactly what proximity to the South are we talking about? No, northern West Virginia doesn't count, because culturally it's not Southern.

Quote:
Bill Peduto, the new mayor of Pittsburgh, is a progressive Democrat. He had to win the Democrat primary somehow.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:16 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,228,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Exactly what proximity to the South are we talking about? No, northern West Virginia doesn't count, because culturally it's not Southern.
Historically northern West Virginia is "southern", Bethany in Brooke County voted in favor of the Confederacy in 1861 and there are still southern accents found north of Sutton, even in Monongalia County, Harrison County, etc. True, it hardly counts as the south, but it is not equivalent to Pennsylvania.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,126 times
You have some good points.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:48 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,359,620 times
Really??!!?!?!? What idiot would even think that ANY part of Pennsylvania is in the Midwest??!?!?!?!

At this rate why not include NYC, Boston and the Jersey Shore too???!?!?

Old 06-11-2014, 03:14 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,846,089 times

Old 06-14-2014, 08:16 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,726,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
lol it looks like it is in apalachia but it is still in a northeastern state,
so that makes it a northern city.
Here's a map.
Attached Thumbnails
What is pittsburgh? midwest or northeast or...Other???-population_change_2000-2010_map.gif  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh