Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is pittsburgh northeatern or midwestern?
Northeastern 100 51.28%
Midwestern 45 23.08%
other 50 25.64%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 03:54 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memberX View Post
I don't know any midwestern cities with the steep, hilly terrain like Pittsburgh. Also Pittburgh is a part of the Appalachians, which encompasses most of the northeastern states.
Duluth (though it's not as big as Pgh).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 03:55 PM

268 posts, read 383,191 times
Pittsburgh: Paris of the Appalachians

Old 12-02-2012, 05:07 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
I chose "other", since being located in a time warp wasn't an option.
How so?

Old 12-02-2012, 05:41 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
Mid-Atlantic

The Mid-Atlantic states, also called middle Atlantic states or simply the mid Atlantic, form a region of the United States generally located between New England and the South Atlantic States. Its exact definition differs upon source, but the region often includes Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Washington D.C., New York, Virginia, andWest Virginia. North Carolina is sometimes also included. The Mid-Atlantic has played an important role in the development of American culture, commerce, trade, and industry.[4]

Old 12-02-2012, 07:14 PM

225 posts, read 298,321 times
Pittsburgh Is.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,777,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
I agree that Pittsburgh is kind of in its own region. It's relatively isolated, yet close to other big cities in both regions. I definitely think Pittsburgh is the gateway to the Northeast. Here are some Northeastern characteristics I notice in Pittsburgh-- walking seems to be a way of life more so than in many Midwestern cities. Neighborhood commercial districts in Pittsburgh feel more cohesive and vital compared to many other Midwestern cities. The stigma of "riding the bus" does not seem as apparent in Pittsburgh as it does in many Midwestern cities- it's clear that people of all races and economic groups ride the bus to get around, where as the bus in many Midwestern cities seems like a last resort, relegated for citizens who have no other means to get around. Also, it seems like Pittsburghers tend to make less eye contact on the street than you'd find in a typical Midwestern city.

That said, it's also clear that a lot of Midwestern and Northeastern cities do share a lot of common traits, at least relative to other regions of the country. The older cities of the Midwest grew up along with the big Northeastern cities- they attracted lots of immigrants and retain ethnic enclaves and historic, walkable built environments. The biggest cultural differences in these regions, I think, are between urban centers and the rural hinterlands.
St. Louis is another strange one. Definitely in the Midwest, but the built environment reminds you of an eastern city.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
St Louis is one of the cities that makes me think there is an alternative classification involving the industrial-river cities (others in this group would be Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, and maybe Minneapolis and Memphis).

Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 AM

19 posts, read 33,217 times
Here for being "Mid-Atlantic" - at least in school (in Beaver County) that's what we learned. We aren't quite Northeastern to be north east, but not to the west enough to be mid-west. I believe Maryland also falls into this category because they aren't south enough to be southern.

Edit: whoops did quick reply only to find Copanut beat me to it. =)

Old 12-04-2012, 09:05 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,777,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd115 View Post
Here for being "Mid-Atlantic" - at least in school (in Beaver County) that's what we learned. We aren't quite Northeastern to be north east, but not to the west enough to be mid-west. I believe Maryland also falls into this category because they aren't south enough to be southern.

Edit: whoops did quick reply only to find Copanut beat me to it. =)
There are a lot of border regions that are like this. Louisville; South or Midwest, gets blood on the floor in these forums.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:14 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
St. Louis is another strange one. Definitely in the Midwest, but the built environment reminds you of an eastern city.
How so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh