Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 09:08 AM

10 posts, read 16,401 times

Advertisements

Considering renting a home in the Aspinwall area. How is it in terms of schools, safety, etc.? Is a great place for families? What about a commute to the Fed. Building?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 AM

34 posts, read 42,342 times
I am not a fan of Route 28 at all and have a difficult time advising anyone to make that a destination. You see something going wrong on 28 what seems like everyday. I'd rather live east of the Sq Hill tunnels and I wouldn't do that.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:27 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,682 times
The rest of the criteria are great though - great schools, great place for families, safe.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:42 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
I lived there for 3 years and loved it. Great schools, nice town, tons of families. Let me say it again, tons of families. The commute is much better than you think it is. Going to work, not bad at all, coming home can be a little rough. Then again, any commute is rougher coming home. The thing to remember is you are right on 28 so you don't have to drive 10 minutes to get on Route 28. The other thing is that the Federal Building is in the right location for commuting to Aspinwall.

The thing to remember is that when 28 is finished it is going to be awesome.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:53 AM

733 posts, read 987,040 times
Short answer: Yep, it sounds like a good fit.

There are some drawbacks like Rt 28, but they are minor. For the big picture items you listed, it's a good fit, considering you are already interested.

28 will be awesome when finished, I'll second that.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:05 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach4Top View Post
I am not a fan of Route 28 at all and have a difficult time advising anyone to make that a destination. You see something going wrong on 28 what seems like everyday. I'd rather live east of the Sq Hill tunnels and I wouldn't do that.
Since you don't commute on Route 28 (after all, you live in Franklin Park), you wouldn't know that it's a breeze now. From Aspinwall to downtown, it's a straight shot with no traffic light. All of the bridges have been bypassed. Aspinwall is about 10 to 15 minutes into town during rush hour. A mere 5 minutes in the middle of the night when there is zero traffic.

The commute home is about 15-20 minutes, but that will be reduced to 10-15 minutes when the construction is done. During construction, the only slow-down is merging from two lanes into a single lane, which backs up at Heinz. With the construction, it's better than it was prior to the construction. No traffic light. No cop controlling the lights and leaving it red for eternity. It's just everyone taking their turn merging into a single lane.

This is probably one of the fewest roads in the country where travel improved DURING construction. LOL It's only going to get better too!

OP, I highly recommend Aspinwall. The school system is great. The neighborhood is perfect for families. And the commute is one of the best for a suburb and is only getting better.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:54 AM

110 posts, read 152,881 times
I would always prefer to live in the city but I do work in Aspinwall and its a great little place and 28 is really not all that bad. In 2 years it will be awesome.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
I loved Aspinwall when we were looking. It was really lovely. Too bad we couldnt find anything in our price range.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:39 PM

89 posts, read 170,222 times
We just moved there and love it! Really quiet, tons of little kids and families, great parks and cafes to walk to, and everyone is really nice! My husband commutes on 28 and there are days where it is difficult, but it's not as bad as many other commutes and at least you live right off 28. We highly recommend it!

Old 04-05-2014, 10:59 AM

9 posts, read 7,402 times
I grew up in Aspinwall and I live there now. Aspinwall is ALL ABOUT NEIGHBORS, families and working together to KEEP it great. In the summer we have free "bring your own folding chairs" live music, open air "get-togethers" and we are now building our Riverfront Park. We have "Light up Night", Fireworks and many opportunities to get together. Aspinwall is safe, friendly, social, and fun. LOTS of kids being nurtured by responsible parents and adoptive "grandparents". Neighbors help neighbors (always have, it is our tradition - be prepared to be an ACTIVE neighbor, we all know each other). We have an excellent athletic field on one side of our town and UPMC St Margaret Hospital on the other side - the walk to either from anyplace in town will not take 15 minutes. Drive to the Waterworks shopping center in 10 minutes or walk there to shop. We have the BEST in emergency services - Police, Fire and Ambulance. Am I proud of what we have? You bet I am, we all are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh