Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 06:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
About a third of the places mentioned were actually suburban teams, as is Wilkinsburg itself.
Good point. I'll rephrase. They never messed with our suburban team's spectators who were from a township that has no gangs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 06:34 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
[QOUTE]When you are needing police to prevent violence or murder at school football games that should be about the time you cancel those sports programs altogether as your students/parents don't deserve them[/quote]

Beg to differ... This is possibly the worst I idea I ever heard no offense!
-To tell the truth most young black males from the inner-city hope to be either: rappers, basketball stars and or football stars. Taking away football/basketball leads them to be rappers... Rappers leads them to be drug dealers or gangsters...
-Canceling football in Homewood, Wilkinsburg, etc would have practically crippling effects on what's left of the community. Football teaches you values and a male coach may be the only positive role model for some of these kids. Also the community gets to see and gets to know their youth that do positive things (which is more uncommon than not).
-East Allegheny had two former football players killed this summer, those young men maybe fell a stray in their live's after football... Imagine if Duquesne/Crestas Terrace in North Versialllies never had football and those young men, along with many others started slipping up when they were 13... Long story short with out football you'd have more criminals, therefore more crimes/violence in the hood.
-Everybody deserves to play football its an American right. It's what keeps neighborhood pride in places like: Homewood, East Hills, Garfield, Beltzhoover, Aliquippa, Clairton, North Braddock, Braddock, Rankin, Swissvale, etc... Even some Prisons have football teams; though the key take away point is that they have high security measures in place at all times.
-Not only does the hood need football, but America's most watched event on television does as well... So just think about what you posted, but keep in mind most of the NFL's Football (including the Steeler's) players are from these types of areas.

P.S.~ That would include all HS Football games even suburban ones have police (although they aren't really needed).

Old 10-13-2012, 06:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I agree. It would be terrible to take activities away from young children just because their adults can't behave. Canceling activities would solidify the futures of the little ones.

Yes, all HS football games have police, even in the suburbs. In my township, all of the police seem to be at the HS football games, especially Homecoming.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:58 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
[QOUTE]To tell the truth most young black males from the inner-city hope to be either: rappers, basketball stars and or football stars. Taking away football/basketball leads them to be rappers... Rappers leads them to be drug dealers or gangsters..
They should get more realistic aspirations & maybe study or something crazy like that

Old 10-13-2012, 07:02 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
Quote:
They should get more realistic aspirations & maybe study or something crazy like that
True this what you posted non debatable, it's a big problem in America, however just know this scenario isn't for every inner-city black kid. There are lots of blacks who get out the hood through education, although they are far fewer in numbers than the ones who don't, yet this is for another thread.

Quote:
Is a police presence new? I don't recall police at Homestead and Perrysville when my kids were playing peewee football. That was ages ago though.
Since there were shootings in Homewood Playground in the late 2000's the City League Neighborhood Termite+ Teams have had police presence.

Wilkinsburg task force in the mid 2000's was present for home games and they did a good job of not allowing identified gang members of the J-Town Hoods/Hunter Park Gangstaz/Trill-Turner Hoods/City Bound Gangstaz to even loiter around the parking lots of the games. Now I can't speak for Pop Warner teams in the: Stow Rocks, Steal Valley, Penn Hills, Woodland Hills, McKeesport, East Allegheny/West Mifflin, Clairton, Beaver Falls, Aliquippa & New Kensington/Arnold areas. The Pop Warner games in most Suburban communities usually don't have security, but the Batman Movie Massacre & Sheek Temple Massacre should make events have more security IMO...

Old 10-13-2012, 08:31 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Wow, I just missed that by an hour or so when I rode my bike past there. It was quiet by then. I was really bummed when they reopened that school. It was so quiet there and really so much better. Now they got it all going again. Goodness at a pewee football game no less. Sure is an odd life to lead in the city. I guess I will never return to live there. Not my cup of tea, but I guess you get used to it as long as you don't go outside much. Sometimes I wonder if I should start driving and leave my bike at home. It sickens me to think that way, but maybe East Liberty is really too dangerous. There have been a few armed robberies that didn't even make the news that I know of. When we take the garbage out or leave from work, we are supposed to go in groups because it is too dangerous. Sad state of affairs, but it is what it is I guess.

Last edited by gg; 10-13-2012 at 08:41 PM..

Old 10-13-2012, 08:34 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Seriously. How many people make a living as a rapper or a football player?

Old 10-13-2012, 08:52 PM

116 posts, read 216,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yes, all HS football games have police, even in the suburbs. In my township, all of the police seem to be at the HS football games, especially Homecoming.
Yes, there are always police at HS football games and large events and they're of course there incase something does get out of hand but for the most part are simply directing traffic and pedestrians as there usually aren't many altercations at these events.

Who would bring a gun to a youth football game anyway? I guess something like this makes you wonder how many other people from areas like this are going about their day to day activities while holding a firearm?

Old 10-13-2012, 08:56 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpriv View Post
Yes, there are always police at HS football games and large events and they're of course there incase something does get out of hand but for the most part are simply directing traffic and pedestrians as there usually aren't many altercations at these events.

Who would bring a gun to a youth football game anyway? I guess something like this makes you wonder how many other people from areas like this are going about their day to day activities while holding a firearm?
I don't think I have EVER seen police at a Pee Wee football game. Sorry. Maybe high school or even jr. high, but not at a pee wee game. Goodness!

Old 10-13-2012, 09:16 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,094 times
There were a few there weeks ago. Not to regulate the kids. It was to regulate the adult riff raff that comes, parks like an *******, litters, etc.

Where do you work that you are afraid to take out the garbage? That sounds like a load of garbage to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh