Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 06:30 PM

508 posts, read 888,904 times

Advertisements

In your opinion what are the best/worst parts of the 15136 Zip Code?

My guess is West Park is the nicest. Are the Bottoms still real bad? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 06:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I never think in terms of zip codes so I had to look it up.

15136 zip code - Google Maps

Of course, Robinson and Kennedy are fine. You'll get the most update feedback on McKees Rocks and Stowe from Allegheny Angel.

I've been to the bottoms recently for an appointment during the day. It didn't strike me as dangerous, but what do I know?

Old 10-13-2012, 06:36 PM

I thought the Bottoms were okay. I mean the hold historic Eastern European styled Churches seemed real nice. I've heard Preston or Presston (uncertain of the exact spelling) is mostly blue collar folks. Unclear whether or not it (it meaning the Bottoms and Preston/Presston) are better than up near the McKees Rocks business district?

Old 10-13-2012, 07:50 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...85551,0.209255

This map is pretty self explanatory but: the projects are bad, there are areas that will be at that level soon, and there are gritty, blue collar, sketchy areas such as the Bottoms that really aren't too bad and don't look like they'll change for better or worse anytime soon... From a non resident...

Old 10-13-2012, 09:52 PM

A real estate buddy of mine claims he's getting $700.00 a month for a 3 bedroom in the Bottoms. I find it a bit hard to believe.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
$700 seems about right for a three bedroom in a working class neighborhood.

I just checked Craig's List and didn't see a 3 bedroom in McKees Rocks for much lower than that.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:54 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
The Bottoms are fine. It's a low income area, but not dangerous at all in my opinion. Then again, in spite our sometimes staggering violent crimes, I do not see any part of McKees Rocks or Stowe as dangerous, except perhaps the projects and the areas directly around them (maybe). Been here three years now, have walked through every neighborhood night and day, numerous times. It's poor, and you will run into some unsavory characters occasionally, but you will be fine. I love going for walks here. There is a lot of working class and labor history in McKees Rocks and Stowe, not to mention ancient Native American history relating to the Indian Mound. The violent history of McKees Rocks is not a recent phenomenon. It has always been a low income area with crazy crimes dating back to the Mafia in West Park in the 1920s and 1930s, and then the lives lost in the bloody Sunday strike in 1909. Sure, it's not sanitized, but it's interesting, and the cheap prices reflect the problems (school district), but also compensate for them.

Friends are usually shocked when they visit and come to see how peaceful and charming my neighborhood actually is, at least compared to the perception and rumors of the area. And how cozy my little house is, wood paneling, green carpet, and all. Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it, too.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 10-14-2012 at 01:04 AM..

Old 10-14-2012, 08:03 AM

It's funny because my house here in North Side has wood paneling and green carpet too. When folks first come up the road they are shocked at the condition of the neighborhood. Some boarded up houses and overgrowth. Not to mention the actual road is very worn and torn. But once inside all of that seems to fade away. In some ways I feel there are streets in the Rocks that are way nicer than in the North Side.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:16 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
[quote]It's funny because my house here in North Side has wood paneling and green carpet too. When folks first come up the road they are shocked at the condition of the neighborhood. Some boarded up houses and overgrowth. Not to mention the actual road is very worn and torn. But once inside all of that seems to fade away. In some ways I feel there are streets in the Rocks that are way nicer than in the North Side.[/QOUTE]

If you lived in East Duetchtown, Troy Hill, Spring Garden, Spring Hill, Perry Hilltop, California-Kirkbride, or Marshall-Shadeland north of Woodland Ave-east of Shadeland Ave, Upper Manchester, Fineview, or Northview outside the 'jectz there's no debate

Old 10-14-2012, 01:47 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
There are nice streets and homes in every neighborhood in and around Pittsburgh, even Braddock, Duquesne, Homewood, etc. That's why I hate when people paint the conditions of the poorer neighborhoods with a broad brush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh