Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,276 times

Advertisements

Family of three ( reluctant junior highschooler in tow) for spouse to work in Moon township. Set to start in the next 2 months ( before Christmas) and have NO idea where to look for rental housing. With a teen, should we consider moving to Pittsburgh and having spouse commute? Stay in Moon? Schools? Rental allowance from 2500 - 3500 / month. 3 bedrooms. 3 cats. Although comparison says its cheaper to live in MT than East Bay, think the heat will be on 24/7 until we acclimate. Really unsure if this is the best move. Considering my staying with our son til he finishes school year, then following spouse. Advice welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 10:55 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
By East Bay, do you mean like Oakland/Berkley area or the town along Millerton Lake? If it is the former, then cost of living in Moon Twp. (and anywhere in the Pittsburgh Metro region) will be significantly lower. One thing that has been touched on before is that the rental market is tight causing rents to be higher in Pittsburgh than in other similar areas, but compared to the Bay Area, it is still very affordable. Moon Twp. is in a decent school district and with your budget you should have absolutely no problem finding a home (you might even be able to go larger if you wanted to.) Depending on what type of area you prefer, Moon Twp. is an auto-centric suburb with little to no crime, but is quite limited in activities one can do without a car which to a teen can be a turn-off. If I were to move to the city of Pittsburgh, I would make sure to get into the Alderdice feeder program as it has been shown on this forum to easily be comparable to the top performing suburban districts. Moves are never easy, especially cross country moves like you are doing, but I am sure that everyone on this board will be more than happy to help you. If you have any specific questions to ask me I will try to answer them to the best of my ability. Good luck with everything

Old 10-14-2012, 11:07 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
By East Bay, do you mean like Oakland/Berkley area or the town along Millerton Lake? If it is the former, then cost of living in Moon Twp. (and anywhere in the Pittsburgh Metro region) will be significantly lower. One thing that has been touched on before is that the rental market is tight causing rents to be higher in Pittsburgh than in other similar areas, but compared to the Bay Area, it is still very affordable. Moon Twp. is in a decent school district and with your budget you should have absolutely no problem finding a home (you might even be able to go larger if you wanted to.) Depending on what type of area you prefer, Moon Twp. is an auto-centric suburb with little to no crime, but is quite limited in activities one can do without a car which to a teen can be a turn-off. If I were to move to the city of Pittsburgh, I would make sure to get into the Alderdice feeder program as it has been shown on this forum to easily be comparable to the top performing suburban districts. Moves are never easy, especially cross country moves like you are doing, but I am sure that everyone on this board will be more than happy to help you. If you have any specific questions to ask me I will try to answer them to the best of my ability. Good luck with everything
I wouldn't want to grind out a Pittsburgh-to-Moon commute.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,276 times
Thank you so much for the quick replies. Escilade 18, moving from the Walnut Creek area of East Bay. Looking at as many rental pages as possible, so hopefully one will turn up something that fits. Thank you so much for the advice. Heavenwood, will keep that in mind.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 AM

556 posts, read 1,227,822 times
Maybe look out in Beaver County? We have some good school districts... Hopewell/Central Valley/Blackhawk area

We are in Center Twp, Central Valley schools and my Fiancee works in Moon, she has a 10-15 minute commute each way.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I wouldn't want to grind out a Pittsburgh-to-Moon commute.
Agreed there.

Back to the OP - I'd consider areas like South Fayette and North Fayette as well. They are both very good areas with a quick commute to Moon township. Great schools in South Fayette and there have been a decent amount of new condos built in the area recently.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,203 times
Try Sewickley? Very good school district reputation, walkable downtown. In the middle of your price range is
4 BEDROOM HOME IN SEWICKLEY

Old 10-15-2012, 08:13 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Try Sewickley? Very good school district reputation, walkable downtown. In the middle of your price range is
4 BEDROOM HOME IN SEWICKLEY
I agree with this suggestion. You are coming from an area that will need something more than Moon or Beaver. I would start my search in Sewickley and probably end my search there. You have a teen NOT wanting to move and Sewickley would be a pretty good place to get around for him/her with a very nice feel. I wouldn't do Moon either. Your price range allows Sewickley.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:57 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times
Sewickley is a great compromise between suburban, good commute time, yet walkable business district.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:36 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
We jsut moved to the south fayette district with a 12 and 13 year old. They just LOVE the school. They go to school with smiles on their faces.

We did look at Sewickley and couldnt find anything in our price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh