Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 03:35 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
And yet no shootings. I credit the calming influence of organic arugala.
Whole Foods shoppers generally believe in gun control, I'm guessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 03:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I think the real reason the East Liberty one is so jammed is that there's no more room to put more parking, and the store is wildly successful. At one point I heard (and probably still true) it had the highest sales per square foot in the whole chain. If there were room to make it a little bigger they probably would. Doing a whole new store, though, they might be afraid of still.
There's no doubt it's a successful store, but they'd make even more money if there was better parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
For you, what you do is go to the Wexford store, duh! A better and bit roomier layout inside and plenty of parking spots in Wexford Plaza. And they have beer!
I'll check it out someday. I haven't been in the habit of going to Wexford and Cranberry. When I worked in Warrendale, it didn't seem like a big deal, but Wexford and Cranberry are totally off my radar these days. It's not even far from where I live. I just like to bunch my errands together, and there's no much over that way for me to add to the trip.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:00 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,282 times
So tragic.

One lesson we can learn --- don't engage in an argument with someone who appears to be completely unstable and full of rage over what's happened on the road.

It's best to remain courteous, try to defuse the situation by being apologetic or at least agreeable ( e.g. "we'll make sure it's taken care of right"), and get the police involved as soon as possible.

As for PTSD or brain injury, I think it definitely must be investigated whether either of these had a role in this tragedy.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:17 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Yes, the average education at a Whole Foods would be much higher than where this happened. You are correct.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:21 PM

59 posts, read 114,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
The East Liberty store has armed security every evening...

The only incident in the parking lot that I am aware of actually involved the off-duty Pittsburgh Police officer that was working security!

City Council approves lawsuit settlements - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 10-21-2012, 12:09 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
So tragic.

One lesson we can learn --- don't engage in an argument with someone who appears to be completely unstable and full of rage over what's happened on the road.

It's best to remain courteous, try to defuse the situation by being apologetic or at least agreeable ( e.g. "we'll make sure it's taken care of right"), and get the police involved as soon as possible.
I think what we may have here is a case where one idiot got into an altercation with another idiot, and the second idiot was an even bigger moron. The shooter should be on his way to prison, but if the dead man actually punched him, he is in no way an innocent, and we would be calling for him to go to prison had the second man not decided to shoot him.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:46 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Slightly off-topic, but in the articles I read both motorists just wound up in the grocery store parking lot after being involved in a road rage incident nearby. It's not like the PTSD Hummer dude backed out of a space into the truck after buying a bag of Doritos at the store and then gunned the other driver down because the parking lot environment was so stressful.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily imply that only liberals shop at Whole Foods. There ARE some conservatives in the East End. There's a home with a Romney campaign sign in the yard on Amberson Avenue in Shadyside, near Fifth Avenue, and if I'm not mistaken I saw either a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's bag mixed in with their trash one day while sitting and waiting for the light to turn green.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:47 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Also, I wouldn't necessarily imply that only liberals shop at Whole Foods.
Totally agree. Conservatives are just as much into health and nutrition as liberals, especially wealthy conservatives and they can easily afford Whole Foods.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:46 AM

225 posts, read 299,736 times
I didn't see a woman had her turn signal on trying to merge into my lane the other day so I ended up not letting her in, I can't remember where I was exactly, just getting off 79 near Bridgeville I think. So she pulls in behind me and starts tailgating me, flipping me off, screaming out her window, and taking pictures of me and my car with her phone.

Then she follows me the next four or five miles of random turns, I finally decide to just go to my destination and figure she'll get bored eventually, pull in to the lot and park, just as I'm getting out of my car she comes flying in behind me and starts screaming how I "almost hurt [her]" and demanding to know how I can justify what I did and screaming that she got pictures of me so "just wait." I told her to get the hell out and she left after ranting a bit more but she was clearly trying to provoke more than eyerolling from me.

People are ****ing nuts.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:11 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&J O'Rourke View Post
I didn't see a woman had her turn signal on trying to merge into my lane the other day so I ended up not letting her in, I can't remember where I was exactly, just getting off 79 near Bridgeville I think. So she pulls in behind me and starts tailgating me, flipping me off, screaming out her window, and taking pictures of me and my car with her phone.

Then she follows me the next four or five miles of random turns, I finally decide to just go to my destination and figure she'll get bored eventually, pull in to the lot and park, just as I'm getting out of my car she comes flying in behind me and starts screaming how I "almost hurt [her]" and demanding to know how I can justify what I did and screaming that she got pictures of me so "just wait." I told her to get the hell out and she left after ranting a bit more but she was clearly trying to provoke more than eyerolling from me.

People are ****ing nuts.
I've had some pretty funny encounters with women in traffic, thinking they were intimidating me by over use of their brake pedal, but their demeanor changes quickly when they know they are being followed. I also had a late 20 something woman flip me off at Edgewood Towne Centre, and decided to pull up to see what her problem was. She sped off in a hurry when she realized I was pursuing her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh