U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 AM

666 posts, read 1,309,299 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of people griping about Pittsburgh politics on here, and I agree in large part with many of the complaints, especially the unfavorable tax structure for entering corporations. In response, I ask one simple question:

In an attempt to put aside your natural propensity to vote for one or two main personal issues, what advice can you give me as to what is the best way to vote in order to create a favorable environment for new businesses to enter the Pittsburgh region and boost the economy? (both locally and nationally if possible)

P.S. Advice only, please. Lets not get into a heated debate over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 12:22 PM

2,902 posts, read 7,053,868 times
Quote:
especially the unfavorable tax structure for entering corporations.
Thankfully, just in the last year or so, a lot of these taxes have been changed for the better and more are planned. We'll see what happens. In fact, certain taxes in Pennsylvania that were unfavorable to companies changed last year. The capital stock and franchise tax was decreased to 4.89 mills from 4.99 mills, retroactive to the beginning of 2006, as part of a gradual phase out of the tax. And, the increased research and development tax credit, whose cap increased from $30 million to $40 million, took effect on June 30.

Last edited by guylocke; 10-10-2007 at 12:31 PM..

Old 10-10-2007, 09:47 PM

714 posts, read 1,300,760 times
A lot of Pittsburgh's problems are due to policies of at the state level. I've found the following site helpful. There is even a link that shows how to contact your state assembly representatives.

Pittsburgh's Future - Issues and opportunities affecting Pittsburgh and Southwestern Pennsylvania

Old 10-11-2007, 07:34 AM

666 posts, read 1,309,299 times
Quote:
I've found the following site helpful
Wow, great site! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:59 AM

51 posts, read 5,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
A lot of Pittsburgh's problems are due to policies of at the state level. I've found the following site helpful. There is even a link that shows how to contact your state assembly representatives.

Pittsburgh's Future - Issues and opportunities affecting Pittsburgh and Southwestern Pennsylvania
It seems like the State has put the Pittsburgh region out to pasture in many ways. I wonder why that is?

Old 10-11-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505ci View Post
It seems like the State has put the Pittsburgh region out to pasture in many ways. I wonder why that is?
I think it has to do with Philadelphia having most of the clout. Add to it the fact that Harrisburg is in eastern PA.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:44 PM

57,972 posts, read 29,557,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
I see a lot of people griping about Pittsburgh politics on here, and I agree in large part with many of the complaints, especially the unfavorable tax structure for entering corporations. In response, I ask one simple question:

In an attempt to put aside your natural propensity to vote for one or two main personal issues, what advice can you give me as to what is the best way to vote in order to create a favorable environment for new businesses to enter the Pittsburgh region and boost the economy? (both locally and nationally if possible)

P.S. Advice only, please. Lets not get into a heated debate over this.
I'll be packing my bags shortly.. Cant wait to move..

Old 10-11-2007, 02:47 PM

26,562 posts, read 47,325,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'll be packing my bags shortly.. Cant wait to move..
...from Pittsburgh...to Scranton? (Fingers crossed!!!) LOL! Just kidding!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 10-11-2007 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-11-2007, 10:00 PM

gallacus,

To give you my two cents on your original question:

Traditionally, republicans have been for lower taxes and lower spending. Thus IMO they would be better suited to create a more favorable tax and business climate. We had a republican Governor, Tom Ridge, but not a whole lot changed. Now we have "Fast Eddie" Rendell, who's proven himself to be for more of the same: high taxes and wasteful spending. His latest proposal is to toll I-80 and give the money to the grossly-inefficent and corrupt transit authorities in Philly and Pittsburgh. Ed Rendell recently beat republican candidate Lynn Swann, so that shows you where the general population stands with regard to their political beliefs.

That said, I think the only way to change Pittsburgh and PA is to educate people on how our economy compares with the economy of other states (especially the booming states in the South), and how much better our economy could be. People also need to realize that the sacred-cow of organized labor is making the cost of government services much higher than it should be. After all, public-sector unions aren't taking extra money from ultra-rich robber-barons, they're taking it from the public...their neighbors!

So *IF* a person can get into a public-sector union in PA, they've got it made...with wages and benefits far better than the free-market would dictate. Everyone else is stuck with a lousy economy, teacher strikes, transit strikes, and high taxes.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:04 PM

2,902 posts, read 7,053,868 times
Quote:
His latest proposal is to toll I-80 and give the money to the grossly-inefficent and corrupt transit authorities in Philly and Pittsburgh.
What?? That's definitely an opinion. Have you actually looked in depth at the proposal for taxing I-80? I'm all for it after reading it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh