Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:42 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times

Advertisements

I saw lots of cops headed through east liberty when i was going to the gym.

My take since this is my hood - some people drive like assh0les on negley on their way to northern suburbs. They treat city streets like back country roads.

Some people on foot have no regard for cars or bikes and just walk into traffic.

Hopefully the kid is ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 PM

377 posts, read 652,177 times
Truly hope the kid is okay.

As far as kids running out in the road I have had teenagers run out in front of my car multiple times.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Last week, I was driving North on Route 28 and there are four boys, approximately 13 years old, playing chicken running back and forth across the highway like deer.

I called the police. It was insane. It early evening, dark outside. You could barely see them darting back and forth. I truly thought they were deer for a moment.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:14 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Boy, 13, hit by car in Highland Park in critical condition | www.wpxi.com

I wonder how they know he "ran out into traffic"? Kind of an odd story, but the way people drive in Highland Park, I am sure no one could actually have control enough of their car to stop. People drive well over 40 in a 25mph zone every day. If the driver was going 25 would they be able to stop or at least not have a kid in critical condition? I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Happens. Had a customer when I worked at the bank lose a son -- he was on his bike, popped out between cars, hit by an SUV, flew way up into the air and when he hit the ground he was gone. Helmet and all. SUV driver was not cited, he was not driving over speed limit, multiple witnesses said the kid came out of nowhere.

Driver felt AWFUL, but the parents of the kid talked to him and told him truthfully they didn't hold him at fault. These things are called accidents for a reason.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Oops. I meant Route 8, not Route 28.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:46 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
My take since this is my hood - some people drive like assh0les on negley on their way to northern suburbs. They treat city streets like back country roads.
^ This. People know how congested Washington Boulevard outbound can be at rush-hour as they head towards the Highland Park Bridge so they instead race up streets in Highland Park trying to beat that gridlock. Suburbanites treat many neighborhoods, including my own Polish Hill, as "cut-throughs" instead of NEIGHBORHOODS!

Old 11-03-2012, 08:42 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
^ This. People know how congested Washington Boulevard outbound can be at rush-hour as they head towards the Highland Park Bridge so they instead race up streets in Highland Park trying to beat that gridlock. Suburbanites treat many neighborhoods, including my own Polish Hill, as "cut-throughs" instead of NEIGHBORHOODS!
Um, lots of the rushing around are city residents going to other city designations. Believe me. Both city dwellers and suburb folks are driving wildly fast. I wish people would drive the speed limit or at most 5mph above, but they don't.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:08 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Pedestrian injured in Point Breeze - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 11-03-2012, 10:15 AM

18 posts, read 40,367 times
Quote:
Boy, 13, hit by car in Highland Park in critical condition | www.wpxi.com

I wonder how they know he "ran out into traffic"? Kind of an odd story, but the way people drive in Highland Park, I am sure no one could actually have control enough of their car to stop. People drive well over 40 in a 25mph zone every day. If the driver was going 25 would they be able to stop or at least not have a kid in critical condition? I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.
I was a car or two ahead of where the kid ran across the street. I saw him in my rear view quickly run across the street, as if he was trying to beat traffic. He had to have been blocked by the cars going in one direction and then was hit by a car going in the other direction. There was no way the car could have stopped. I didn't see the actual collision but I heard it and looked in my mirror to see his shoe fly off into the street.

I hope he's okay. It seemed pretty bad. A few minutes later the police had completely blocked off that part of the street.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:19 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
I don't know what happened, but I do always notice that there is always a slight blame on the pedestrian and/or cyclist. Notice how they say, "ran out into traffic". Really? Maybe, but what kid at that age would run into traffic. A 13 year old city kid. He isn't 5 years old. Like I said, I don't know what happened, but I suspect the usual thing will take place. Some kid was on the street a car/suv couldn't stop and he shouldn't be on the street. The old days of, "you must be in control of your car" are over.
Sometimes the pedestrian/cyclist is at fault. It's called contributory negligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh