Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:26 PM

4 posts, read 4,014 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just need a little reassurance here, if anyone can provide it. My husband and I both just received great job offers in Pittsburgh, so any economy/job concerns that I see raised on this forum wouldn't apply to us. We're mid-30s and we like to watch sports, eat out, do home improvement stuff, BBQ, bike and run, play with our dogs, meet new people, etc. But whenever we tell anyone that we are moving to Pittsburgh, we get that wrinkled nose look. We really like our new employers, we love the amount of house we can afford in Pittsburgh for the money, we're coming from a much colder climate so the weather should be fine, we're both from blue-collar backgrounds, etc. We've done a ton of research and it seems like the only thing that might be "worse" compared to where we're coming from are the property taxes (if we end up living in Allegheny County), but those are balanced in our case by what will be a significantly lower state income tax and a much shorter commute (right now we're both doing 40-minute drives). I'm originally from Jersey, he's originally from Nebraska, and we've lived in New Orleans, Houston, Las Vegas, and the Twin Cities. Are we missing something? It seems like we should fit in just fine and everyone else just needs to relax, right?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 08:30 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Quote:
It seems like we should fit in just fine and everyone else just needs to relax, right?
You sound like just about the perfect candidates!! I hope you enjoy yourself.
Quote:
We're mid-30s and we like to watch sports, eat out, do home improvement stuff, BBQ, bike and run, play with our dogs, meet new people, etc. But whenever we tell anyone that we are moving to Pittsburgh, we get that wrinkled nose look.
I anticipate you'll really like it here. As for wrinkled nose looks, don't worry, the majority of people who have never been here have serious misconceptions about the place stemming from the old steel mill, filthy, grimy, and industrial city mindset. That city doesn't exist anymore. :P

Old 10-10-2007, 08:47 PM

511 posts, read 1,936,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoPittsburgh View Post
Hi,

I just need a little reassurance here, if anyone can provide it. My husband and I both just received great job offers in Pittsburgh, so any economy/job concerns that I see raised on this forum wouldn't apply to us. We're mid-30s and we like to watch sports, eat out, do home improvement stuff, BBQ, bike and run, play with our dogs, meet new people, etc. But whenever we tell anyone that we are moving to Pittsburgh, we get that wrinkled nose look. We really like our new employers, we love the amount of house we can afford in Pittsburgh for the money, we're coming from a much colder climate so the weather should be fine, we're both from blue-collar backgrounds, etc. We've done a ton of research and it seems like the only thing that might be "worse" compared to where we're coming from are the property taxes (if we end up living in Allegheny County), but those are balanced in our case by what will be a significantly lower state income tax and a much shorter commute (right now we're both doing 40-minute drives). I'm originally from Jersey, he's originally from Nebraska, and we've lived in New Orleans, Houston, Las Vegas, and the Twin Cities. Are we missing something? It seems like we should fit in just fine and everyone else just needs to relax, right?

Thanks in advance.
People on the outside have no idea; I've lived here nearly a year and love it. The neighborhoods all have their own character, dinning possibilities are endless, and you'll love the biking culture here. Just get here and come have a great time. My fiance and I are both around your age bracket and have great jobs with great employers. Lets us know when you get here and we'll dine out together.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
My fiance and I are both around your age bracket and have great jobs with great employers.
That's really great vwscottie. Out of curiousity, what do you and your fiance do? You don't have to answer that.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 6,137 times
Default Moving To Pittsburgh

I think people that have not visited or lived here really do not know Pittsburgh. I have live here my whole life, travelled all over the States. The closest place I found to Pittsburgh was in my travels in Europe. We have real communities not just housing plans. The People of Pittsburgh are a big part of what makes our City stand apart.

Terry

Old 10-10-2007, 09:00 PM

713 posts, read 1,865,264 times
With your backgrounds, I don't think Pittsburgh is going to be any kind of shock for you.
The main problem in Pittsburgh is the economy. If you already have good jobs lined up, than you've got no problem.

Like any major American city, there are high-crime areas to avoid. As long as you stay out of those areas, you should be good.

People still think Pittsburgh is a smokey, polluted city. It isn't. Yes, there are some problems in some of the river valleys because any pollution can get trapped there during certain weather conditions. There was an article about the American Lung Association giving Pittsburgh a poor air quality rating. However, that rating was based on a single pollution monitoring site located in a river valley next to some industries, so it's not representative of the whole region. See the following article: FOUL! - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 10-10-2007, 09:03 PM

4 posts, read 4,014 times
Thanks so much for the responses, it's great to hear all of them.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
However, that rating was based on a single pollution monitoring site located in a river valley next to some industries, so it's not representative of the whole region. See the following article: FOUL! - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Oh my gosh, I have never read that article!! How very interesting. I thought it was all a bit fishy, especially since I've seen other research showing Pittsburgh has fairly good quality air and practically zero smog. I'm not saying that recent study is completely debunked, but that was a fascinating piece, nonetheless.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:19 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Let me preface this by saying that I don't live in Pittsburgh and live in a city roughly four to four-and-a-half hours northeast of it in the Pocono Mountains; you can take my insight with a grain of salt if you're so inclined. However, I've been to the city several times, and each time I come for a visit I find myself tearing up at the prospect of leaving. Pittsburgh honestly has one of the most beautiful skylines I have ever laid eyes upon. The people are very friendly and are open to striking up conversations with complete strangers while standing in line somewhere for something. Traffic congestion is no worse than many other major U.S. cities. The biggest problem with Pittsburgh (and my hometown of Scranton for that matter) is that the residents of the cities themselves have become so brainwashed with pessimism from several decades of post-Industrial decline that they largely can't fathom that both cities are resurging nicely now in the 21st Century. When a visitor comes to Scranton, for example, they're often met with "Why the hell would you want to come to a dump like this?" from the locals. I suspect visitors to Pittsburgh often get the same unflattering feedback from people who are consistently stuck in the mindset that the city can not herald in a rebirth when it most certainly can.

I've fallen in love with Pittsburgh. I live very close to New York City and spend a lot of time there roaming the streets of Manhattan, but Pittsburgh just has a certain "homey" and intimate feel to it that you don't get in "Da City Dat Never Sleeps" (or even here in the Electric City for that matter). The unique neighborhoods of Pittsburgh are definitely its greatest asset. I wouldn't sweat a move to Pittsburgh. Hell, if I wasn't so hellbent on ascending the political ladder in my own hometown, I'd be walking hand-in-hand with my partner along the streets of Shadyside in a heartbeat. I've had several college friends relocate to the city, and they're all thrilled to be there. I think you (or me for that matter) will have the same experience. Best of luck to you!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 10-10-2007 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: Typographical Error

Old 10-11-2007, 05:13 AM

Quote:
I'd be walking hand-in-hand with my partner along the streets of Shadyside in a heartbeat.
Teehee!! Really nice post by the way ScrantonWilkesBarre, very eloquent. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh