Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 07:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

I just read a little bit of the history link. Thanks for posting that. I do intend to read it all, eventually.

I have said that if we moved back to the Pgh area, I'd live in Cranberry. It sort of reminds me of the area of Beaver County where I grew up, but it's not so depressed. DH says he'll never look for another job again, so that's just a fantasy, but I think, despite the sprawl, it's a neat area. DH's background is in nuclear physics; maybe Westinghouse will make him an offer he can't refuse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 12:41 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I just read a little bit of the history link. Thanks for posting that. I do intend to read it all, eventually.

I have said that if we moved back to the Pgh area, I'd live in Cranberry. It sort of reminds me of the area of Beaver County where I grew up, but it's not so depressed. DH says he'll never look for another job again, so that's just a fantasy, but I think, despite the sprawl, it's a neat area. DH's background is in nuclear physics; maybe Westinghouse will make him an offer he can't refuse!
I love history -- when we moved to Oakland CA, the first thing I did was hit the library for Oakland history books.

Although I know you like new construction, there are some mighty fine older homes built in the 50's in Cranberry. In my opinion the area nearest the shopping areas are WAY built up (think Rt 19/Rte 79/ Rte 228 and Turnpike area) -- I'd head closer to Zelienople -- like off Glen Eden Road (that's where the dairy used to be where we got our milk!)

Although you might get a kick out of Fernway -- all the homes built in Fernway are built on slabs -- no basements. I was never sure if it was merely because it was cheaper to build on slabs, or if the rumors that Fernway was built on the original cranberry bogs were true and the water table was too high to dig basements.

My parents house in Greenville PA was built on a slab, with radiant floor heating and my mother LOVED it.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:48 AM

74 posts, read 219,224 times
Does anyone know if they are taking resumes, ( Westinghouse) and if so, where to send them. My son is very intrested in getting a job there, but we are haiving difficulty finding where to send resumes. Thanks!!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:35 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
Westinghouse is taking out full page ads every Sunday in the Post-Gazette and Tribune-Review to recruit workers. You have to go through their website to apply. They are hiring at a very fast pace these days.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:15 AM

299 posts, read 1,008,830 times
My dad works for the Monroeville location of Westinghouse. He says he will retire before the move and that lots of employees and VERY unhappy with the relocation. Some are planning to retire, others are hoping to find employment elsewhere to avoid Cranberry. So, that will create more openings, even if those openings aren't for "new" jobs. That's what my dad says, at least.

I believe PA ranks 9th in the nation for teacher pay. You can access specific salary information at this Web site:

PA Teachers Search

You'll see plenty of teachers, non-administrators, paid at the $80,000 level.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:31 AM

70 posts, read 335,910 times
Latest pictures from Westinghouse site in Cranberry Twp.

Attached Thumbnails
Westinghouse moving to Cranberry-wh1.jpg   Westinghouse moving to Cranberry-wh2.jpg  

Old 07-22-2008, 11:02 AM

70 posts, read 335,910 times
In 2004 we moved to Economy Boro (1 mile from Beaver-Butler county line), which is about 5 miles door to door to new Westinghouse site. When we decided to leave Northern Allegheny county for good, we did consider moving to Cranberry at one point. But with the growing traffic, we decided against that. We also prefer our place in the bigger 1-acre lot housing plant, with more mature trees surrounding each of the houses, as supposed to 1/4 acre lot in Cranberry for a comparable priced house. The tax in Beaver county is also more favorable.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:24 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNightRat View Post
In 2004 we moved to Economy Boro (1 mile from Beaver-Butler county line), which is about 5 miles door to door to new Westinghouse site. When we decided to leave Northern Allegheny county for good, we did consider moving to Cranberry at one point. But with the growing traffic, we decided against that. We also prefer our place in the bigger 1-acre lot housing plant, with more mature trees surrounding each of the houses, as supposed to 1/4 acre lot in Cranberry for a comparable priced house. The tax in Beaver county is also more favorable.
That's one of my favorite areas.... that and Bradford Park... very probably where we'll end up if we decide to move back to PA.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 PM

11 posts, read 47,082 times
will this be all of Westinghouse moving to Cranberry? My husband is a mechanical engineer and all the job postings are still listed for located in Monroeville- Anyone know anything about this?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:21 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,370 times
Wesinghouse is moving its World Headquarters to Cranberry, and the majority of employees in Western PA will be working there. Most of the engineering departments will be working out of Cranberry. The move from the current location in Monroeville will begin in the next couple years and eventually the Monroeville office will be closed.

There will still be some employees at the growing Waltz Mill and New Stanton Sites (East of Pittsburgh), as well as the Blairsville tube manufacturing plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh