Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 02:23 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times

Advertisements

Sigh...
I understand this is an emotional issue for many, but I have to point out that when discussing even very emotional issues on city-data, you have to remain calm and respectful to those that don't share your opinion. Because if you start a fight, even if you're right, you will get punished for it.
Yac.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:00 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Again this is all moot given the fact that they beat him on the assumption that he was doing something wrong, which is far beyond their authority. If this case occured in an area with a population that wasn't as old and didn't have a tendency of lagging behind the rest of the country this would be a nonissue. The officers would be off the street as no jury (outside of elderly white western PA) could have found justification in their actions.
i think you give the rest of the country more credit than is due. this stuff happens everywhere. the officers who gunned down amadou diallo in nyc weren't even charged with anything, and the mayor immediately held a press conference trying to imply that somehow because he had some problems with his student visa he deserved to be killed for reaching for his wallet while standing on his doorstep. that was standard operating procedure for giuliani any time police killed an innocent person, which happened several times when i lived in the city. or jean charles de menezes in london, who had all sorts of lies told about him (he was wearing a bulky jacket on a warm day, he ran, he hopped a turnstile to get into the underground, he jumped out of his train seat at an officer, the police identified themselves) in order to justify his being shot dead, until video footage came out that proved all of those things false. no charges filed against individuals there either, just against the police department itself.

it's obvious even from this thread that there are lots and lots of people who just tend to believe the police over other people, no matter what. you get enough people like that on a jury (and i would guess this happens more often than not) in a case like this where it is one person's word against another's, of course things are going to tend to go the cops' way.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:15 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
it's obvious even from this thread that there are lots and lots of people who just tend to believe the police over other people, no matter what. you get enough people like that on a jury (and i would guess this happens more often than not) in a case like this where it is one person's word against another's, of course things are going to tend to go the cops' way.
I don't always believe the police. Look at Drew Peterson, one of the most arrogant, evil examples of a cop out there. And as far as court decisions go, I've seen some farily obvious, high profile cases go totally a different direction then I ever imagined. Casey Anthony is a perfect example.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:38 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Glad to see this conversation devolved into another "PITTSBURGH IS TEH MOST RACIST CITY EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!1" *****-fest.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Glad to see this conversation devolved into another "PITTSBURGH IS TEH MOST RACIST CITY EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!1" *****-fest.
If it's anything, its full of reverse racism

Old 11-25-2012, 06:16 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
oh please, give one example of someone saying something bad about poor, poor white people as a group.

oh wait, i forgot, it's "reverse racism" if anyone dares to suggest that racism against minorities actually exists in the present day. great spin there.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
oh please, give one example of someone saying something bad about poor, poor white people as a group.

oh wait, i forgot, it's "reverse racism" if anyone dares to suggest that racism against minorities actually exists in the present day. great spin there.
Reverse racism to me is one race constantly blaming all their problems in life on the fact that they are whatever race they are, and the world keeps doing them wrong because of it. This does happen a lot here.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Reverse racism to me is one race constantly blaming all their problems in life on the fact that they are whatever race they are, and the world keeps doing them wrong because of it. This does happen a lot here.
I don't see any of that here. Racism is racism. Racism is bias plus power. Nobody here is calling whites inferior.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 AM

9,335 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't see any of that here. Racism is racism. Racism is bias plus power. Nobody here is calling whites inferior.
According to Meriam-Webster, nope:
Quote:
1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2: racial prejudice or discrimination
I haven't closely followed this thread, so I won't venture to comment on the extent of the name-calling and its racial implications (or lack thereof). But I really hate the way some people subvert the word "racism" to mean "only white people can be racist." I understand the "prejudice plus power" logic, and in fact think that's a great way to explain a number of adjective-modified forms of racism, such as institutionalized racism. However, the implications behind such semantic subversions are clear, and do little but give a "pass" to people like Al Sharpton (and in some people's minds, even Louis Farrakhan). I'm not trying to suggest you buy into the full extent of that; I just really hate that kind of linguistic butchery.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:57 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,302 times
Good post HeavanWood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh