Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 01:18 PM

44 posts, read 151,101 times

Advertisements

It is my pleasure to talk of Pittsburgh and help guide you to find what you're looking for. The main street through Regent Square is Braddock Avenue. It lies along the border of the city near Edgewood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 08:23 PM

44 posts, read 151,101 times
check out this site. It has much info on city neighborhoods and their development
popcitymedia.com

Old 12-10-2006, 12:51 AM

7 posts, read 33,595 times
Default McKeesport

Looking for someplace safe? STAY AWAY!!!! McKeesport has the area's hospital. They NEED it. It has more shootings than Baltimore, I don't know how Baltimore keeps the rep as most dangerous city compared to that area except that they're counting only over a certain population that McKeesport doesn't meet. It is dangerous, I don't like it down there during the day. I used to have occasion to go there and hated it. Most of those Mon towns are not safe. Not yet. Hopefully someday, but not yet. There are fewer daytime shootings in Baltimore and DC than there are in the towns up and down the Mon River for the most part. If you want to be in a mode of building up a place that was once a nice town and is now totally trashed, fine; but it's not safe.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:17 AM

24 posts, read 94,543 times
Default Mine insurance a must!

anyone wanting to move to pittsburgh might want to check out this website. Pittsburghgeologicalsociety.org/subsidence.pdf
Every once in a while you will hear in the news about how some poor fellow's house fell into a mine. I have mine insurance for our house. It's not much, but do you really want to live somewhere that your house might fall into a hole. This website will help you understand and see if the area you are looking into is over a mine. Good luck, most of western pa is undermined!

Old 02-20-2007, 06:05 PM

149 posts, read 608,354 times
Just wondering...
Did Dan, Ontheroad, or Valt ever move to Pittsburgh yet? Where have you all found your new homes?

Old 02-21-2007, 07:33 AM

24 posts, read 94,543 times
Default What???

Where do you get this information, that "people are coming in droves"? You must have lived here cause I can tell you have been hitting that crack pipe again. And the arrogance that you have against locals implying that they can't think for themselves is typical of someone who made good money while here while the rest of us suffered. We have plenty of people here just like you that couldn't be bothered with the deplorable economic situation of "the rest of us." In all the cities discussed here Pittsburgh has some of the worst, most-negative comments anywhere. What does that tell you? Posters here are using their eyeballs, watching the news, talking to neighbors and pushing for change EVERY SINGLE DAY. What the hell are you doing? This city is getting a reputation nationwide for paying far below acceptable levels for almost every job. I personally had a relative offered 1/3 of what he was currently being paid to come work here. You have GOT to be kidding me! There is no significant business to speak of here, and those that do exist are paying substandard wages. Why do you think this is? I, for one, do not plan to stay here much longer if we do not start getting some real traction. So STOP THE BS.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
Calm down. Please.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:02 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Hi Sue,

I haven't heard anything from Dan, but Valt and I stay in contact.

I am headed to Pittsburgh in less than a fortnight, and will stay about a month or more. It is unlikely I will move full time to Pittsburgh, but will probably make it a second home as my children live there and I'm about to be a grand again in two months

As for where in Pittsburgh, still undecided but probably somewhere on the East Side.

Thanks for asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueJ999 View Post
Just wondering...
Did Dan, Ontheroad, or Valt ever move to Pittsburgh yet? Where have you all found your new homes?

Old 02-26-2007, 06:51 PM

67 posts, read 221,246 times
Default Pittsburgh's final ranking

Hi Sue,

after six months, and extensive travel to find the BEST new location for us,
our final list includes just three destinations:

** Pittsburgh, PA **
** Evanston, IL **
** Burlington, VT **

with Pittsburgh ranked "NUMBER 1"

Some places did not even get an in person visit like Madison WI because we thought it would be too much like Burlington VT, and in that case why move. Others, like Ann Arbor MI, we visited, but they did not make our final list. Also visted in the last six months but not included on the final list were Providence RI, Morristown, NJ, and Cleveland, OH.

There have been pauses in our praise of Pittsburgh, largely due to some concerns very well, and in some cases, very accurately expressed in this forum.

Overall, we are happy with what we see. Of course, I will be happier once we locate a nice home, find a community, move our jobs, and a few other details, but my vision of all this is at last more clear.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:12 PM

781 posts, read 1,619,202 times
Hi,

I posted here a while back and we are in Regent Square. We moved here a month ago. (Minus a few days) It is a nice area, and we are adjusting quickly. We are renting since our home in IL is not sold yet, but when we do buy, it will be in Regent Sq or Squirrel Hill. I am surprised at how friendly people are.

The public elementary school "Minadeo" is excellent.

I had never stepped foot in Pittsburgh until the day we moved here! (My husband took pictures of places we were interested in renting, I looked at them through email and we agreed on this place.) I have only lived in the Midwest. (WI, IL, IA, NE)

It is quite hilly & the weather was not good for the move, but we made it!

Valt,

I was born & raised in Madison, WI. Loved it! I am curious why it is ranked nagative to your needs?

Last edited by Sideblinded; 02-26-2007 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: Madison shout out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh