Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 07:22 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningsiderules View Post
Ya, also, since you're from the Bay Area, I'll bet you will appreciate the affordable housing stock, the walkable sidewalk neighborhood feel, beautiful homes, all in a residential type area.

I was immediately enamored when we came here to look at a rental house and we saw kids playing in the street without weird hovering parents, dogs are everywhere, on leashes and decent looking yards, with two parks within walking distance.

Check out this link if you want some more impartial advice about this nabe.

Moderator cut: link removed
Didn't know new members couldn't post links. Please provide your link via DM. And yes, I do appreciate the home prices there. It's the main reason I'm moving. I had always wanted a big old Victorian in San Francisco, but there aren't any even close to my price range. Hell, there aren't even studio apartments in my price range here. And, Pittsburgh reminds me of San Francisco in many ways. The hills, the older housing stock, blue collar union roots, Catholic working class Democrats were once the majority - in Pittsburgh they were mainly eastern European, in SF they were mainly Irish and Italian, a vibrant city of distinct and walkable neighborhoods... Still, it will be a big adjustment to be so far from friends and family, the weather, it's much more conservative than SF, the whacky liquor laws, the greater Pittsburgh area has way fewer people than the greater Bay Area. I worked in Silicon Valley and I'm used to the energy of being in the heart of it. Apple, Google, Facebook, start ups... I worked for a construction company and almost all our clients were in high tech. Just about everyone in the company is a liberal to moderate Democrat. I was talking to a potential employer in the Pittsburgh area who told me the entire company and their clients were depressed because Obama had been reelected. I had a "you're not in Kansas anymore" moment when I heard that. I'm moving in January and I can't wait to get there. Although I do wish I could move in the spring. I'm going to have to learn to live and drive in the snow immediately. Not thrilled about it.

Anyway, keep us posted about your relocation. I'll do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 08:30 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I worked for a construction company and almost all our clients were in high tech. Just about everyone in the company is a liberal to moderate Democrat. I was talking to a potential employer in the Pittsburgh area who told me the entire company and their clients were depressed because Obama had been reelected. I had a "you're not in Kansas you anymore" moment when I heard that. I'm moving in January and I can't wait to get there.
This link might help you understand why an entire company was upset that Obama won.

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...PVAJg#map:id=3

They likely don't live in the city or one of the bordering suburbs. Pretty much, the further you live from the city center, the more likely you are to have voted for Romney.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
This link might help you understand why an entire company was upset that Obama won.

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...PVAJg#map:id=3

They likely don't live in the city or one of the bordering suburbs. Pretty much, the further you live from the city center, the more likely you are to have voted for Romney.
Selltheburgh,

You nailed it. The company is about a half hour outside Pittsburgh.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:02 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
On political terms also be advised that Pittsburgh's employers cast a wide geographical net to lure in their employees. I work in the heart of the East End in what should be solid "blue" territory. With that being said the amount of clients I had the morning after Election Day who were miserable and moody, citing Romney's loss as the reason, was mind-boggling. These clients, though, come in from Butler County, Fayette County, Washington County, and other Republican strongholds. Just because you're moving to Crafton, which may be blue as the sky, doesn't mean you won't be working beside many individuals who don't espouse your ideological values so just be careful how you proceed!

Old 11-25-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
On political terms also be advised that Pittsburgh's employers cast a wide geographical net to lure in their employees. I work in the heart of the East End in what should be solid "blue" territory. With that being said the amount of clients I had the morning after Election Day who were miserable and moody, citing Romney's loss as the reason, was mind-boggling. These clients, though, come in from Butler County, Fayette County, Washington County, and other Republican strongholds. Just because you're moving to Crafton, which may be blue as the sky, doesn't mean you won't be working beside many individuals who don't espouse your ideological values so just be careful how you proceed!
Yes, I'm well aware of the political differences from where I live now. It was just funny to hear it so boldly stated in an interview setting. If I take that job I will definitely be a fish out of water politically speaking. I have another interview next week. So we'll see how it goes.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:43 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times
Juliegt, some time ago I worked in a software company where everybody was republican. True, half an hour from the city... That job was so depressing at election times. I wish I could punch them all and I am not a violent person

Aren't workplaces supposed to be free of politics? They hired me to do a job, not listen to their blubber which actually affected my mood, gave me headaches and yes, affected my ability to perform my job. One day I quit and I found a job downtown. I have never had a problem with this job. Very happy.

I'm telling you this because if the employer asks you about your political orientation, to me at least, is a red flag. Less if they are a political organization, in which case it is a legitimate question.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:53 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times
morningsiderules could you please send me your blog in a PM? I love Morningside.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 PM

19 posts, read 35,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Didn't know new members couldn't post links. Please provide your link via DM. And yes, I do appreciate the home prices there. It's the main reason I'm moving. I had always wanted a big old Victorian in San Francisco, but there aren't any even close to my price range. Hell, there aren't even studio apartments in my price range here. And, Pittsburgh reminds me of San Francisco in many ways. The hills, the older housing stock, blue collar union roots, Catholic working class Democrats were once the majority - in Pittsburgh they were mainly eastern European, in SF they were mainly Irish and Italian, a vibrant city of distinct and walkable neighborhoods... Still, it will be a big adjustment to be so far from friends and family, the weather, it's much more conservative than SF, the whacky liquor laws, the greater Pittsburgh area has way fewer people than the greater Bay Area. I worked in Silicon Valley and I'm used to the energy of being in the heart of it. Apple, Google, Facebook, start ups... I worked for a construction company and almost all our clients were in high tech. Just about everyone in the company is a liberal to moderate Democrat. I was talking to a potential employer in the Pittsburgh area who told me the entire company and their clients were depressed because Obama had been reelected. I had a "you're not in Kansas anymore" moment when I heard that. I'm moving in January and I can't wait to get there. Although I do wish I could move in the spring. I'm going to have to learn to live and drive in the snow immediately. Not thrilled about it.

Anyway, keep us posted about your relocation. I'll do the same.
I didn't realize I shouldnt post a link either. Sorry for the poor etiquette. You'll get used to the republicans, they are kind of everywhere. But remember PA is a blue state. You're gonna love it here, I just know it! I will DM you a link. Take care.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:41 PM

19 posts, read 35,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
morningsiderules could you please send me your blog in a PM? I love Morningside.
Sure. I'd love, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh