Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you smell your neighbors when you open your windows or go outside?
Yes, I smell cigarettes 9 26.47%
Yes, I smell other scents 6 17.65%
No, my property is scent free 23 67.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 02:28 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,941,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If I smoked and lived in a densely-populated neighborhood I would indeed check with my neighbors to be certain that they weren't being subjected to my exhaust.
You're kidding right? Might as well move because someone somewhere will object.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 02:35 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
You're kidding right? Might as well move because someone somewhere will object.
As my pal and wise philosopher jay5835 once said "two different people may have a different reaction when presented with the same stimulus." I'm not bothered at all by the odor of gasoline as someone is weed-whacking, the odor of manure in the countryside, or the odor of dryer sheets, for what it's worth. With that being said I'm rather oddly sensitive to cigarette smoke, and, as such, would be most inclined to try to make sure others weren't bothered if I happened to be smoking for that reason. I'm not the type of person to walk up to someone in the huddled masses in front of Western Psychiatric and start coughing uncontrollably until the smokers feel awkwardly enough to scurry back inside or deck me, but I do resent it when someone who chooses to smoke comes near me, sees that their exhaust is blowing in my direction, and then expects ME to move.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
You're more bothered by lawn mowers than dryer sheets. Fine. I take you at your word. But do they give you headaches, lawn mowers, or produce other neurotoxic effects. Google "neurotoxicity dryer sheets" and give a read to what you find.
Noise can be very debliating for some people.

Hyperacusis Network > 4 Types of Sound Sensitivity

Old 11-21-2012, 02:51 PM

675 posts, read 2,089,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Noise can be very debliating for some people.

Hyperacusis Network > 4 Types of Sound Sensitivity
Considering that I've stated that I do not have any kind of unique health condition that makes me abnormally sensitive to normal stimuli, I'm not sure how that's at all relevant.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
Considering that I've stated that I do not have any kind of unique health condition that makes me abnormally sensitive to normal stimuli, I'm not sure how that's at all relevant.
I was responding to Jay. That's why I quoted him.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:26 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
The day I can't sit out on my front porch and smoke a cigar...ah, bite me.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:39 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,984,986 times
Quote:
So, I realize this is a hotly debated issue, but I need some advice. We've moved into what we think is the perfect house about a year ago, but we have neighbors who love to stink us out. Their laundry vent is about 10 feet from the side of our house, and they use some of the most ridiculously scented crap I've ever smelled. I'm very sensitive to smells (a trip to Bath & Body Works is an instant headache for me) and they seem to do laundry for about 4-5 hours a day. On top of that, they've begun smoking in the last 6 months, which seems to be almost constant throughout the day and night. I realize some people don't mind the smell of cigarettes, but I can't stand it, not to mention the thought of my small children breathing it in.

The issue is, we can get away from it by cooping ourselves up indoors, but part of what we like so much about our new house is the yard/deck. I'm being driven crazy by the whole thing, I just want to play with my kids outside but I will end up with a headache, and don't want to subject my kids to this crap. Am I completely crazy, and I should just deal with it? Is this something that many people deal with? If I thought that I had a good chance of ending up in a house with none of this scented crap/smoke constantly wafting into our open windows, I'd consider moving.
I am curious about something though, you are afraid your children are going to be affected by cigarette smoke from 10 feet away because of your neighbors and the dryer sheet issue as well. My question is:

Do you take your children to fast food, feed them anything out of a box (macaroni & cheese), or use traditional cleaning products (Clorox Bleach, Pledge, Pine Sol, Scrubbing Bubbles)? If you do you are exposing them first hand to all those nasty little chemicals AND you are allowing them to ingest them as well because of all the chemicals in fast food and anything out of a box or microwaved from an already prepared frozen meal. So in essence you are doing your children more harm in your home than your neighbors who live next door.

Last edited by CSD610; 11-21-2012 at 04:37 PM..

Old 11-21-2012, 03:51 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,828,709 times
Quote:
I do not have any kind of unique health condition that makes me abnormally sensitive to normal stimuli...
Most people don't get headaches from breathing in dryer sheet fumes.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:46 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,498,965 times
I thought this thread was about putting neighbors in a smoker.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:00 PM

675 posts, read 2,089,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I am curious about something though, you are afraid your children are going to be affected by cigarette smoke from 10 feet away because of your neighbors and the dryer sheet issue as well. My question is:

Do you take your children to fast food, feed them anything out of a box (macaroni & cheese), or use traditional cleaning products (Clorox Bleach, Pledge, Pine Sol, Scrubbing Bubbles)? If you do you are exposing them first hand to all those nasty little chemicals AND you are allowing them to ingest them as well because of all the chemicals in fast food and anything out of a box or microwaved from an already prepared frozen meal. So in essence you are doing your children more harm in your home than your neighbors who live next door.
Call me a health freak, but no, I do not do any of those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh