Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:39 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
My agent told me that I can't back out of the deal; he said if I did, I'd be in default. So, I don't think I have much of a choice in the matter.
Ahh I see. That's quite an odd sales agreement you have there. Do you agree with his interpretation of it? Typically you'd only lose your hand money, which was probably $500 or $1,000. If you had an inspection clause, you can back out based on something wrong in the inspection (if there was anything).

If what your agent says is true, then you will just have to make the most of it. I think once you're here your frustrations will settle down a little bit. Hopefully you'll enjoy the details and charm of the home itself and making it your own. While you will not be right on top of your favorite Victorian blocks, I hope you'll come to terms with only being a ~20 minute bus ride or ~75 minute walk from downtown, as well as maybe 45 minutes to the Victorians you love in the lower northside and 40 minutes to the more urban business district of Bellevue. Whatever happens, I hope it's for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 02:54 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
I like Tarentum better than Brighton Heights. The canal era history of the town and the river front park are awesome.

Seriously, though, Brighton Heights is nice. I've never heard anyone so down on BH. Even the sketchy parts are nicer than East Deutschtown and Spring Garden. Architecturally, I prefer East Deutschtown and Spring Garden, but aside from that, those historic neighborhoods are a mess and only getting worse, sadly. I would love to be part of a revitalization in Spring Garden, which is actually my favorite neighborhood. However, after walking around and talking to people who live there extensively, I am not so sure there is much hope. So many of the homes have been abandoned and exposed to the elements for so long. On any given street, at least 50% of the homes are abandoned. Although it may not appear so, speak to the neighbors or walk around behind the homes and you will see the sorry state the neighborhood is in. It's tragic.

But that was what has motivated me to find a house in Spring Garden or East Deutschtown, the feeling that I need to do something to save the history there that is being lost.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 05-30-2013 at 03:02 PM..

Old 05-30-2013, 02:56 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I like Tarentum better than Brighton Heights.. lol
Oooh! Oooh! I smell a photo challenge! How 'bout a photo tour of each?

Old 05-30-2013, 02:59 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Personally, I would have loved to move to Troy Hill; however, I couldn't find anything in my price range there that didn't need a huge amount of work. Why it's so difficult to find an affordable home for sale in Troy Hill is beyond me.

Can't force people to sell, much less sell for a price in your price range. If you had an unlimited budget, you'd have more choice- that's the free market.

But all you have is a case of buyer's remorse.

I hemmed and hawed between this house in L'ville and another one in Brookline for 3 days before I went down with my hand money. Even after I closed, I wasn't sure if I made the right deal or if I spent too much money.

It ended up turning out fine.

When my father bought his home in the 1950's, he reported got physically ill with concern afterwards, but it turned out to be an ok deal as well.

Move, make the best of it, and you should be fine in Brighton Heights. Plenty of folks have very good lives over in that part of the world and the majority of residents have lived in the community and don't plan to leave until they are taken out in a pine box. If they can be satisfied living there, I'm sure you can too.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:59 PM

654 posts, read 944,939 times
Quote:
I like Tarentum better than Brighton Heights. The canal era history of the town and the river front park are awesome.

Seriously, though, Brighton Heights is nice. I've never heard anyone so down on BH. Even the sketchy parts are nicer than East Deutschtown and Spring Garden. Architecturally, I prefer East Deutschtown and Spring Garden, but aside from that those historic neighborhoods are a mess and only getting worse, sadly.
I think one of the reasons I'm so down on BH, honestly, is because it reminds me of a lot of the conservative suburban neighborhoods I lived in while growing up. I truly hated my existence there.

It kind of resembles suburban Long Island, at least architecturally.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:05 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Which town? Living the rest of my life in Santa Monica was a dream of mine once (I lived 4 blocks from the beach, in Ocean Park), and then I got a job in Seattle, then Portland, then DC, and I haven't been back in 30 years.
LOL, north Redondo near Artesia Blvd. If you go back 30 years, you may recall "Thristy Bar" on Artesia Blvd., which was pretty close to my first place (It was actually "Thirsty's" but they messed up the sign and then were too cheap to redo it. ) I only owned that place 2 years, due to meeting my husband and moving into his house--but I stayed in the general area for 2 decades.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Oooh! Oooh! I smell a photo challenge! How 'bout a photo tour of each?
Okay! I have been wanting to photograph Tarentum, anyway, and BH is right across the river from me. California Avenue has some grand homes.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:08 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, north Redondo near Artesia Blvd. If you go back 30 years, you may recall "Thristy Bar" on Artesia Blvd., which was pretty close to my first place (It was actually "Thirsty's" but they messed up the sign and then were too cheap to redo it. ) I only owned that place 2 years, due to meeting my husband and moving into his house--but I stayed in the general area for 2 decades.
I never got down there much, to the South Bay. I might've, I suppose, if Seattle hadn't happened. We might've been neighbors, who knows?

Old 05-30-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I think one of the reasons I'm so down on BH, honestly, is because it reminds me of a lot of the conservative suburban neighborhoods I lived in while growing up. I truly hated my existence there.

It kind of resembles suburban Long Island, at least architecturally.
Yeah, but BH isn't suburban by Pittsburgh standards, because it's part of the "big bad North Side." I would say BH is about as urban as many of the East End neighborhoods, like Regent Square, Point Breeze, Highland Park, Squirrel Hill, etc.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:17 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Yeah, but BH isn't suburban by Pittsburgh standards, because it's part of the "big bad North Side." I would say BH is about as urban as many of the East End neighborhoods, like Regent Square, Point Breeze, Highland Park, Squirrel Hill, etc.
Some houses there are downright cute. And cheap. Check this out, SCR: 3426 Massachusetts Avenue, Pittsburgh PA - Trulia

And here's a bunch of 'em (not as cheap): http://www.trulia.com/PA/Pittsburgh,...ghton_Heights/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh