Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times

Advertisements

No, let the rest of the country educate themselves.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:25 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I think that the state should switch back to "Penna" from "PA" but the post office probably won't like it.
PA doesn't have the national identification disadvantage that PGH does.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:32 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
All of Pittsburgh's Sports teams use PIT, and the sports teams represent Pittsburgh on a National and some International stage.

Now ask which one of those better identifies the city to outsiders...Not insiders..
So you are advocating that the PGH Steelers/Penguins/Pirates determine for us how we should be known? Interesting.

As you might not know, I moved to PGH a scant year ago (therefore, I am/was an outsider), and prior to that I had never encountered the PGH abbreviation. It took me a second to figure it out and not much longer to see it as a better abbreviation to use for the city. I couldn't care less what sports teams do and I think it ridiculous to think they "represent" PGH, the city, to the world. Besides, the use of "PIT" on a scoreboard refers to the team, not the city.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
I'll suggest a yes. Because you can say PIT but not PGH. People will say Philly or Cincy because otherwise the name is a mouthful. PIT might get confused with Pitt, but maybe context will take care of that.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,313 times
There are quite a few Pittsburgs but only one Pittsburgh. Having the 'h' in 'PGH' distinguishes us from the others.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:37 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
There are quite a few Pittsburgs but only one Pittsburgh. Having the 'h' in 'PGH' distinguishes us from the others.
Correct, hence the obvious choice of PGH.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:40 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
So you are advocating that the PGH Steelers/Penguins/Pirates determine for us how we should be known? Interesting.

As you might not know, I moved to PGH a scant year ago (therefore, I am/was an outsider), and prior to that I had never encountered the PGH abbreviation. It took me a second to figure it out and not much longer to see it as a better abbreviation to use for the city. I couldn't care less what sports teams do and I think it ridiculous to think they "represent" PGH, the city, to the world.

Its not about advocating, its about an identification that has already been put into place by the sports teams and other factors. Its about Pittsburgh's national identification vs. its Local identification...

A lot of cities have taken their National/International identifying abbrv and adopted it for universal use.
Besides, the use of "PIT" on a scoreboard refers to the team, not the city.[/quote]

That makes no sense...the team represents the city...PIT universally identifies Pittsburgh in all sports....Not just the Steelers, not just the Pens, not just the Pirates, not just the Power....

Old 11-27-2012, 10:41 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I strongly prefer "PGH" over "PIT" as well. Do we really want to tell people we live in a "PIT"? Other than Plattsburgh, NY or Poughkeepsie, NY there aren't many other well-known cities on a national scale I can think of that would be mistaken for "PGH". As was already pointed out "PIT" could be shorthand for Pittsfield, MA; Pittsburg, CA; Pittsburg, KS; Pittston, PA (my hometown); Pittston, ME; and many, many more (Pittsburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

I also don't understand why you're so adamant about using Atlanta for comparison purposes. I HAVE heard of "The ATL" before, but then again Atlanta's airport is also MASSIVE compared to ours, which can't even support a buget airline to NYC. I much prefer Pittsburgh to Atlanta, even if we don't have a well-known abbreviation. I concur with Copanut---let people educate themselves!

Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Why do we want people who can't figure out what "PGH" means to identify us?
Amen!

Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Besides, the use of "PIT" on a scoreboard refers to the team, not the city.

That makes no sense...the team represents the city...PIT universally identifies Pittsburgh in all sports....Not just the Steelers, not just the Pens, not just the Pirates, not just the Power....
PITT = University of Pittsburgh. End of discussion.

If someone in Springdale or Oakdale told me they were "heading to Pitt for the day" I'd presume they were going to tour the college campus in Oakland.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 11-27-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh