Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I can only picture what Wilkensburg would become if bars started popping up.
Can you imagine? People paying to drink a variety of alcoholic beverages inside, rather than picking up cheap beer from the distributor and drinking it outside, like God intended?

The horror, the horror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 08:05 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Say what you want, but Wilkensburg would be worse if bars are allowed.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:06 AM

By the way, I don't know how many people watched the Kitchen Nightmares episode set in a Wilkinsburg soul food restaurant, but I was not at all surprised to see it had a pretty diverse clientele. If you spend some time in downtown Wilkinsburg, that is what you will see.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Say what you want, but Wilkensburg would be worse if bars are allowed.
Well, as an actual resident of Wilkinsburg, I very much hope they put your confidence in the reliability of your imagination to the test.

Of course maybe you are actually talking about Wilkensburg, in which case for all I know you may be right, since I have never heard of it.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:13 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
I used to interact frequently with the Wilkinsburg Police and they told me that Wilkinsburg is much different at night. Maybe things have changed since that was a few years ago.

One thing to remember is that it only takes one bad bar to ruin a neighborhood.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Well, as an actual resident of Wilkinsburg, I very much hope they put your confidence in the reliability of your imagination to the test.

Of course maybe you are actually talking about Wilkensburg, in which case for all I know you may be right, since I have never heard of it.

Gee, sorry, I made a mistake.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I used to interact frequently with the Wilkinsburg Police and they told me that Wilkinsburg is much different at night. Maybe things have changed since that was a few years ago.
There is certainly WAY less general activity at night, which is not good for a commercial district, particularly one in a still-distressed area.

This is among the many things that having lawful evening-oriented businesses could change for the better.

Quote:
One thing to remember is that it only takes one bad bar to ruin a neighborhood.
But as I noted, having no lawful evening-oriented establishments isn't good either. It is basically conceding the entire district to unlawful activities after dark.

Of course nuisance bars are a real problem, but it is throwing the baby out with the bathwater to deal with the nuisance bar problem by allowing no bars and alcohol-serving restaurants at all. And there is help available for communities to deal directly with nuisance bars:

http://www.phila.gov/districtattorne...cNuisance.html

Old 11-29-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Gee, sorry, I made a mistake.
You sure did, but the spelling was the least of it. Treating the citizens of Wilkinsburg like some primitive tribe incapable of handling their firewater is a bit more serious of a mistake.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:26 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,532 times
There is one possibility - perhaps it will be possible legally for Wilkinsburg Council to modify its bylaws in such a way as to allow "nice people" restaurants to apply for R licenses while prohibiting "bad people" bars.

Obviously, this will pose a legislative challenge, since while we all understand the difference, there is no legal definition of "nice people". But a very clever borough councillor (or, more likely, the borough solicitor) may be able to frame the rule in such a way as to achieve the same thing.

At the very least, this should certainly be discussed and examined by council and public both: is it possible to frame a new bylaw to achieve the desired result without opening the door to undesirable unintended consequences?

Old 11-29-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
At the very least, this should certainly be discussed and examined by council and public both: is it possible to frame a new bylaw to achieve the desired result without opening the door to undesirable unintended consequences?
I suspect the PLCB and associated state statutes regarding liquor licenses would trump any local bylaws attempting to restrict licensing to locally-favored entities.

Again, though, there are a variety of state programs a community can use to deal with an actual nuisance bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh