Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 07:57 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My wife and I are trying to figure out somewhere for a comparably quick overnight (or perhaps two-day) trip for our four-year anniversary.

She would prefer not to be further away than two hours from Pittsburgh in case we need to run back to the in-laws. Obviously that means our options are limited, as we're generally people who prefer visiting cities (even small ones) to country trips. But if anyone knows of any quaint little boroughs nearby worth checking out, it would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 10:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
All of these suggestions are nearby:

How should I celebrate my ten-year anniversary? Recommendations please.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:12 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Point pleasant wv is neat to visit, mostly due to moth man stuff and other weirdness. There is a great old hotel there too, I forgot the name but it's easy to Google.

Bedford PA is nice too but I'm not sure if it's less than 2 hours away.

If I were doing that, I think I'd go stay in the Lincoln motor court (great old fashioned tourist cabins) and visit ligonier.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:04 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,308 times
I've actually had a lot of fun taking weekend trips to Cleveland, which I've visited twice this year.

Cleveland has an excellent food scene and various other cool things to do. Some of my favorite "attractions" are West Side Market, Great Lakes Brewery, Cleveland Symphony Orchestra, and Little Italy. Hotels are relatively inexpensive and transit service is decent, particularly if you use the Healthline (BRT system) and the "Rapid" (subway).

In the other direction, Lewisburg and Lancaster are neat little cities. Both have little downtowns with shops, junk stores, and restaurants. Lewisburg is also close to several state parks and forests, which are great for hiking and picnics, if those sorts of things interest you.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:20 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Oglebay, at Wheeling. See the Christmas lights. Oglebay Resort & Conference Center Wheeling, WV | Golf | Spa | Zoo | Tours | Lodges

I live very close to Tara, and the Buhl Mansion that Hopes linked to. Most of the attractions here are the outdoorsy summer things. But there is Joden estate jeweler in Grove City, Premier outlets, Wendell August, all Grove City. Reyers Shoes and The Winner dress store in Sharon

I'm not certain, but it might be that the Buhl Mansion guests are taken out to Tara for meals. There may not be a chef at the Buhl. I sometimes see empty charter buses going 'round my country block, and I know they're coming from Tara.

I'd say something good, about the town, but really, it just gets increasingly desolate and seedy. The populace isn't very educated or prosperous, either one. Tara and Buhl places are nice, though.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:51 PM

97 posts, read 165,327 times
I highly recommend the Bedford Springs Resort. It's an Omni hotel and depending on when you go you can get some fantastic deals. I will say that if you don't get a 'deal' it can be (in my opinion) expensive. The pool is fantastic, the springs and spa are worth the $25 entrance fee, and the rooms are impecable. Also, I've never experienced bad service there.

It'll take you about 75 minutes from most parts of Pittsburgh (depending on how long it takes you to get to the Turnpike / favorite mode of eastbound travel..)

Good luck in your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh