Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 03:55 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm sorry, but while Buncher's plan is kinda crap, this sounds even worse. What you're basically advocating is making a second, bigger Station Square. It might be better located for that sort of thing, but the whole idea of an "entertainment district" is so 1990s. What we need to have in the Strip on this parcel is housing, and lots of it. Some retail as well, sure, but the Strip needs residents. In 2010 it only had 600 people, which was a great step forward from 200 in 2000, but still far too few considering the neighborhood is immediately adjacent to downtown.
There are plenty of places that housing can go. And last I've heard Station Square was in decline and even now, Pittsburgh has no riverfront entertainment area. Some spots are just too choice to waste. Pittsburgh has something special in the Produce Terminal, the Strip, with a potential Hotel/Convention Center district nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 04:17 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm sorry, but while Buncher's plan is kinda crap, this sounds even worse. What you're basically advocating is making a second, bigger Station Square. It might be better located for that sort of thing, but the whole idea of an "entertainment district" is so 1990s. What we need to have in the Strip on this parcel is housing, and lots of it. Some retail as well, sure, but the Strip needs residents. In 2010 it only had 600 people, which was a great step forward from 200 in 2000, but still far too few considering the neighborhood is immediately adjacent to downtown.
It could work if it wasn't one develop (and certainly not buncher). just lay out the area to front the river with commercial and maybe a street and sell off the lost individually to different developers. sort of the anti-station square if you will.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:49 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:

Clearly Buncher doesn't know what they are doing.
Yeah. It's not like they've ever made any money in the real estate development game...

Old 12-14-2013, 06:17 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Yeah. It's not like they've ever made any money in the real estate development game...
It's not their bottom line I'm worried about. In fact, none of the opposition of Buncher's project concerns their making money. It's the aesthetics and impact it will make.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:06 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Is the eye rolling because you feel there is not an old boy network Cope or you don't think Peduto can put an end to it?

Old 12-15-2013, 12:45 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Buncher isnt forward thinking, exactly. see those renderings? that is Vancouver, or Honolulu - places once beautiful (like in 1850) now overcrowded and ugly with international style sky wedges and skyscrapers.

they are not popular with the decision makers, i believe. and this is because 1) of their vision - i mean, look at that. its so ugly

2) they are advocating a specially designated zone there, with its own code (for everything from road with to sidewalk width to number of parking lot spaces, etc. etc.). i dont know if this was approved or what. i believe it was brought to council and approved....any moles from city hall on this forum who know?

Buncher sucks. They arent like some architects/developers who are trained with sensitivity to peoples needs, wants, and for flexibility for future expansion, re-use, or adaptive use. They are old-skool. and i hope they read this.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:55 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
old school cronies that is

Old 12-15-2013, 11:23 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
Is the eye rolling because you feel there is not an old boy network Cope or you don't think Peduto can put an end to it?

As long as the City is populated by Democrats, things will never change. Peduto will have to bow down to all the unions to make things work, the more things change...

Old 12-16-2013, 05:55 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
As long as the City is populated by Democrats, things will never change. Peduto will have to bow down to all the unions to make things work, the more things change...
im not sure what i think about this comment. i am not in any political party. but i don't know if the democrat monopoly here has anything to do with it.

the single most thing that determines a final result may be community input.
this is why some people are so active in civics in pittsburgh - because MOST others are so apathetic, that it doesnt take much to be a loudmouth and to get some sway around here. its true, i think. that is not a negative statement on the "loudmouths" at all - they know how it works.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:01 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
im not sure what i think about this comment. i am not in any political party. but i don't know if the democrat monopoly here has anything to do with it.

the single most thing that determines a final result may be community input.
this is why some people are so active in civics in pittsburgh - because MOST others are so apathetic, that it doesnt take much to be a loudmouth and to get some sway around here. its true, i think. that is not a negative statement on the "loudmouths" at all - they know how it works.
I'm a registered independent, the only time I was in the Republican party was when Santorum was around, I always voted against him. I just think the City is dominated by Democrats that bow down to the unions, which is why I will never live there. Ah, to each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh