U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 11:03 AM

4,542 posts, read 7,438,105 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what the major differences are (if any) between Braddock and North Braddock? Is one preferable or safer than the other? If one lived in North Braddock, would they be able to consider themselves part of the general Braddock revitalization, or is it considered a different neighborhood? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 11:29 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,913,851 times
North Braddock is really two seperate areas, for all intents, divided by the Grand View Golf Club and Braddock Cemetary.

The portion to the Southwest basically are Braddock, separated from it only by a set of railroad tracks. Like Braddock, it is mainly (although not overwhelmingly) black.

The area on to the Northeast is basically an extension of East Pittsburgh. Racially mixed for the most part, but fairly white. Closer to East Pittsburgh it's pretty typical Mon Valley housing, but as you ascend up Wolfe Avenue it gets progressively whiter and more 1950s suburban in style.

I'd say unless you lived in the Southwestern portion, you wouldn't feel all that connected to Braddock.

You looking at the house on Jones Avenue? It has a ton of potential, and looks your style.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 AM

Yes, that's the house! You know my style so well, Eschaton. It definitely has all of the original features I look for, which are so hard to find. All of the mantles are intact. Plus, I'm tired of living in a row house and hearing my neighbor scream at her boyfriend for hours every day.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,875,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Yes, that's the house! You know my style so well, Eschaton. It definitely has all of the original features I look for, which are so hard to find. All of the mantles are intact. Plus, I'm tired of living in a row house and hearing my neighbor scream at her boyfriend for hours every day.
Do your due diligence and check the street out on Fri & Sat nights (I know you know this) and see how safe you feel. If it checks out I say go for it. What a fantastic price for a cute house. Hope there aren't any major structural issues. A detached house rocks. You can still live in or close to the city without hearing the neighbors unless they're really loud.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:19 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,169,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Can anyone tell me what the major differences are (if any) between Braddock and North Braddock? Is one preferable or safer than the other? If one lived in North Braddock, would they be able to consider themselves part of the general Braddock revitalization, or is it considered a different neighborhood? Thank you!
The major difference is one has the word "North" in its name whereas the other one does not.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:34 PM

65 posts, read 452,125 times
I wouldn't feel unsafe there and I'm a white nerd. My friend used to live on Locust St.

But perhaps I have an in -- I am a Woodland Hills alum.

Regardless of "actual" boundaries I'd consider that area to be more Braddock then N. Braddock. Like someone else said N. Braddock "up the hill" has a suburban feel to it. I spent many a summer afternoon swimming in my friend's in-ground pool and going to parades and events in N. Braddock.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 PM

3,585 posts, read 4,929,197 times
The listing says it's two bedrooms - but from the picture it sure looks like it's much larger than two bedrooms. Have you been inside? It looks like the attic may be usable, as well.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 PM

12,414 posts, read 11,913,851 times
The one thing which would scare me about this house is the lack of any kitchen shots. I'm sure it's not trashed, based upon the rest of the house, but if it's totally nonfunctional upon move in, it might require immediate attention. You can't live upon Wheel Deliver out there like we did the first year we were in our house.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:46 PM

I have driven by the house a few times and it just seems to have a vibe that is very similar to where I'm at now in Stowe / McKees Rocks - run down in spots, but doesn't feel unsafe.
I imagine the people who live there are a similar mix of where I'm at now, and I generally like my current neighborhood a lot. This would be closer to work, though. The house actually has two attic bedrooms - so it's really a 4 bedroom. It's a big house. Also a formal dining room, which I have been wanting.

If you check the pictures of the house on Howardhanna, there is a kitchen shot. I absolutely love the kitchen - it's perfect for me. Basically, if it has a place to plug in a microwave, I'm good.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 12-11-2012 at 01:54 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 03:14 PM

255 posts, read 221,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
North Braddock is really two seperate areas, for all intents, divided by the Grand View Golf Club and Braddock Cemetary.

The portion to the Southwest basically are Braddock, separated from it only by a set of railroad tracks. Like Braddock, it is mainly (although not overwhelmingly) black.

The area on to the Northeast is basically an extension of East Pittsburgh. Racially mixed for the most part, but fairly white. Closer to East Pittsburgh it's pretty typical Mon Valley housing, but as you ascend up Wolfe Avenue it gets progressively whiter and more 1950s suburban in style.
As a Wolfe Avenue resident I can confirm this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh