Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:28 PM

69 posts, read 80,030 times

Advertisements

New Steampunk Victoriana update at: Steampunk Victoriana Restoration - Blog

We're moved in and have the site rolling, Please feel free to say hi!

We are working on plans to take the next upgrade steps and preparing for permits and such in late spring, weather pending. It's 39 on the second floor and a nice 74 on the second. The 3 we haven't even ventured into lol.

We are dry and warm and I can work from home, so if anyone in the area has any questions on the restoration, feel free to drop by or post.

As for the neighborhood, we have a link setup on neighborhoods site, so all those in Allentown area please feel free to join and we can be a linked community. See it here: https://nextdoor.com/invite/3r0n5t1cuwojx6fmg2va

I need a few more people to validate the area and then it can be a live community for the neighborhood.

- NeilP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 10:44 PM

225 posts, read 299,736 times
What permits do you need to apply for?

Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Congrats on the move. I just read your latest blog post and the thought of a 32 foot truck getting stuck on the hills in Allentown made me laugh. I guess blocking the road is one way to meet the neighbors!

I'm assuming you don't have any pictures of the 2nd floor up on the site yet? Looking through the gallery I can't fathom anything in those pictures actually being livable in it's current state (at least not to anybody but squatters, and you already seem to have a home office set up). Are you not posting those pictures for privacy? Or are you really living in rooms with no walls and ceilings?!

Old 12-11-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&J O'Rourke View Post
What permits do you need to apply for?
Not sure, plan the interior until spring when can, all minor things. Exterior in springish...

Old 12-11-2012, 10:56 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Are you anywhere near Crafton? I just semi-moved in to my house and will be here another week before going back to CA to spend the holidays and pack up my house and pets for the move. I'd love to stop by and meet you and see the place before I go back. Have you posted the actual address? If not, and you're ok with me stopping by, please DM me. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Congrats on the move. I just read your latest blog post and the thought of a 32 foot truck getting stuck on the hills in Allentown made me laugh. I guess blocking the road is one way to meet the neighbors!

I'm assuming you don't have any pictures of the 2nd floor up on the site yet? Looking through the gallery I can't fathom anything in those pictures actually being livable in it's current state (at least not to anybody but squatters, and you already seem to have a home office set up). Are you not posting those pictures for privacy? Or are you really living in rooms with no walls and ceilings?!
Pics prolly tomorrow.

So far:
  • We've insulated (R22) on all the walls
  • Sealed the windows (cept for one missing, it's jerry-rigged to block cold)
  • Expanding foamed the Cracks and Holes
  • 16 mil vapor barrier-ed the walls
  • Got a bedroom warmed in
  • Got the kitchen clean, repaired original cabinets (we need others as cooking from boxes sucks)
  • Fixed 1st floor bathroom, but needs a fan and a water supply (coming this weekend)
  • Cleaned the stair rails
  • Fixed the Gas Stove and Heater
  • Got the power working in the kitchen, no extensions now
  • Hung the TV
  • Setup an odd desk from spare parts, we need a desk lol
What we really need:
  • Water or a way to fill 5 gallon jugs.
  • Working plumbing (god I need a shower, truck stop showers are scary lol)
  • Help plumbing, PEX everywhere
What we could use:
  • Bobcat for 3 days
  • Desk, Couch, Chairs, Tables, Counter tops, cabinets
- NP

Old 12-11-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Are you anywhere near Crafton? I just semi-moved in to my house and will be here another week before going back to CA to spend the holidays and pack up my house and pets for the move. I'd love to stop by and meet you and see the place before I go back. Have you posted the actual address? If not, and you're ok with me stopping by, please DM me. Thanks.
Cali to Pitts - Welcome!

As for the address, text me at 423-987-9647 for the address

Old 12-12-2012, 12:24 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnwebwise View Post
Cali to Pitts - Welcome!

As for the address, text me at 423-987-9647 for the address
Are you from CA too? I'll text you soon for the address. Thanks.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Are you from CA too? I'll text you soon for the address. Thanks.
Tennessee, actually but I travel ALOT and been there many times.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Thanks for the update! For cabinets, check out craig's list and Construction Junction in Wilkinsburg. I'll be getting rid of mine soon, but don't hold your breath waiting for hubby to get it done.

As for water, you could drive weekly/biweekly/monthly to a spring. I know where some are located in Venango County. I know quite a few people who have been filling jugs from this spring for drinking water since their wells aren't the greatest. They've been doing it for years and haven't gotten sick. You'll have to allow private messages or find some way for me to provide written directions to the spring in Venango County. It's not something that I could easily explain on the phone. It would be best if we found a spring closer to you. The one in Venango would be about a 1 hour 20 minutes drive away.

As for showering, join a gym that doesn't have a contract. There are quite a few where you can pay by the month.

Gold's Gym located Downtown is $29/month for month to month. So, for $60/month, you and your wife cab shower until you get plumbing. The locker rooms are very nice.

Last edited by Hopes; 12-12-2012 at 05:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh