Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 08:15 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
If you're not allowed to access certain types of guns, then how is that not a ban on those guns?
You already aren't allowed to access all types of guns. Anyway, you went from banning guns to "ban on those guns". That is quite a difference. Bottom line is education and how to handle guns as well as some mental assessment. We can't just pass out the guns and hope for the best. It is ridiculous. At least some class in handling guns and safety for goodness sake. Not sure why the dumb NRA is against education? Never understood that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 08:47 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
I don't see the NRA allowing anything to be done. They pretty much own the Congress and what they say, goes. Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done on the legislative. It will be up to local communities to barricade schools even more than they are now and hope for the best.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:00 AM

510 posts, read 905,242 times
I think this terrible situation has put a spotlight on two issues: our poor mental health system and our obsession with guns.
Closing down the state psychiatric hospital system, while it seemed 'humane' on the surface, was a big problem in the US. There are many people who need a high level of round the clock care. I believe that most state hospitals were good facilities although many people think they were all like "One Flew Over the Cuckcoo's Nest".
You can say guns aren't a problem, but the same day as the Connecticut shooting, a man stabbed 22 children and an adult in a school in China. There were no fatalites.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:09 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dark View Post
All the reports I have seen, quoting the medical examiner, stated that the rifle was the weapon that killed the victims, and the shooter only used one of the handguns on himself.

Not trying to make any kind of point here, other than to set the facts straight.
Not saying youre wrong & i stand corrected if thats the case, but man, the 'facts' on this case change hourly, he killed his mother teaching at the school, then he killed her at home, then she wasn't even a teacher at all, it was his brother that did it, etc etc - this case should also be a wake up call that reporters should shut up about reporting unconfirmed rumors as spot on facts.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:22 AM

531 posts, read 501,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Not saying youre wrong & i stand corrected if thats the case, but man, the 'facts' on this case change hourly, he killed his mother teaching at the school, then he killed her at home, then she wasn't even a teacher at all, it was his brother that did it, etc etc - this case should also be a wake up call that reporters should shut up about reporting unconfirmed rumors as spot on facts.
I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. It seemed like the media got nearly every major detail that was reported in the first 12-24 hours completely wrong.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:07 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
The answer to this is simple. Outlaw guns. I've said it and I'm saying it again. I am an European and incidents like these are way less frequent there.

Yes, I know it is stipulated in the American constitution, but at that time it was necessary. Now it is not. The consitution needs to be changed in this respect to make it difficult to get hunting guns - for which there should be an application process etc. And just outlaw the rest of the guns. Only the police should cary guns.

I am amazed that in this country is easier to get a gun than a bottle of alcohol to make limoncello from scratch with. I am amazed how many households have guns and their kids can get their hands on them.

I don;t care if you throw tomatoes at me. This is what I think.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
The answer to this is simple. Outlaw guns. I've said it and I'm saying it again. I am an European and incidents like these are way less frequent there.

Yes, I know it is stipulated in the American constitution, but at that time it was necessary. Now it is not. The consitution needs to be changed in this respect to make it difficult to get hunting guns - for which there should be an application process etc. And just outlaw the rest of the guns. Only the police should cary guns.

I am amazed that in this country is easier to get a gun than a bottle of alcohol to make limoncello from scratch with. I am amazed how many households have guns and their kids can get their hands on them.

I don;t care if you throw tomatoes at me. This is what I think.
I won't disagree with your opinion, just will note that the provision was not put into the constitution for hunting purposes but rather an additional check on governmental power.
Now you can think that's crazy, but that's why the right is enumerated in the bill of rights (and even more strongly so in the PA constitution)

As an aside, alcohol is way too overly regulated here.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I am an European and incidents like these are way less frequent there.
Because the mental health system locks up the violent nutties in Europe. That's what needs to happen here.

The problem is there are nuts loose on the streets because our government stopped spending on mental instutions in the early 80s.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Because the mental health system locks up the violent nutties in Europe. That's what needs to happen here.

The problem is there are nuts loose on the streets because our government stopped spending on mental instutions in the early 80s.
'Mainstreaming' is a good intention with horrible consequences.

There's also the terrible intention of not having to spend as much $ on mental health if you just throw them out onto the street as well

Old 12-17-2012, 11:16 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Excellent Article: I Am Adam Lanza's Mother
This article says it all. Too bad Adam Lanza's real mother didn't follow this advice. Now how can we force Obama and all the other politicians and also the talking heads in the media to pull their heads out of their ***** long enough to read it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh