U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:46 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,379,363 times

Advertisements

Salt's menu does look awesome. I really need to get there. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 AM

165 posts, read 225,175 times
Love, love Wild Rosemary in Upper St. Clair.

HOME

Old 12-18-2012, 10:57 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,394,874 times
Salt
Union Pig & Chicken
Spoon
Dinette

or since he's a chef you could probably just take him to the southside to get **** drunk and have a good time (not intended as a negative statement just an understood universal truth to members of the profession)

Old 12-18-2012, 11:09 AM

9,155 posts, read 8,914,647 times
I've never eaten at Salt, but I have never heard one bad word from anyone who has eaten the food. For some reason, I look at their menu, and I never see anything I want to eat. On the menu for today (12-18-12), nothing in the Start section begs me to eat it. I'd like the risotto with the mussels, but I'd as soon skip the other elements that go into it. Only the scallops sound good to me in the Main section. Menu | Salt of the Earth

Someone else mentioned Lidia's. If they're getting everything right, it can be a wonderful place. Some of my favorite meals I've ever eaten have been at Lidia's. But their quality is spotty. I'd advise calling ahead, speaking to the manager, telling him you're bringing your friend the chef, and express your hope that the meal will be stunning (of course, you may not be willing to take that risk). Lidia's Pittsburgh

If your friend likes seafood, maybe Penn Avenue Fish Company downtown. They get a mostly lunch crowd, i.e., dinner is only Wed, Thu, Fri, and Sat, but the food is superb. It is not a fancy place, though. PENN AVENUE FISH COMPANY

I would be inclined to eat at Spoon, probably. It's an attractive room, nothing formal, but a nice contemporary vibe (placemats by Chilewich, if that rings a bell), and I've always loved the food. Fresh, local, modern american cuisine in Pittsburgh East End. SPOON: eat, drink, lounge.

EDIT: Another place I'm hearing good things about is Cure, in Lawrenceville. It's for meat eaters. http://curepittsburgh.com/

Last edited by jay5835; 12-18-2012 at 11:30 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 11:37 AM

731 posts, read 1,054,461 times
Try savoy one of my favorite restaurants in Pgh.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:09 PM

606 posts, read 809,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
legume or root 154 are also good choices, neither is super fancy (well, i haven't been to the new legume location) but they both have a real focus on quality, interesting food.
These are my two go-tos for out-of-town guests who really care about food, and everyone I've been at either with has raved about the food. But I agree, neither are fancy. I have been to the new Legume location quite a few times, and while it's definitely a more "refined" space than the last one I only dress up if I feel like dressing up. I like Salt too (not quite as much as Root or Legume, but it's at the top of the next tier for me), and it's a really visually interesting space, but it's another place where you'd be comfortable in jeans. Any of those three would, I think, appeal to a chef. Piccolo Forno and Avenue B are other possibilities along these lines -- reliably good food, but a chill atmosphere.

Of the "schmancy" places I've been to I have to say the only two where I've had unmixed good experiences has been Eleven and (not quite as schmancy) Toast!, and either of those might fit the bill. I'll throw out Stagioni as another possibility, with reservations: I went to the Bloomfield location not too long after they first opened and have never been back there because of the one thing that most turns me off in a restaurant at that price point: I had a dish that I can (and routinely do) cook better at home. That said, they've moved into the old Le Pommier space, and Le Pommier would've been my #1 answer to this question if they were still open. I had a phenomenal dinner there a few years ago and I think that space is just beautiful. And Stagioni has had some really glowing reviews from people whose opinions I respect. Anyone been there since they moved?

Old 12-18-2012, 01:32 PM

747 posts, read 1,074,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
Yeah, I thought of Salt too. When I think of a place that a chef might enjoy, the first places that come to mind are:

Salt
Union Pig & Chicken
Savoy
Habitat
Eleven
Spoon

Granted, I'm no foodie, and I tend to like most everything, haha.
My wife and I will celebrate our 13th wedding aniversery at savoy. I do enjoy the food. The sunday after church brunch is good also.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:09 PM

98 posts, read 154,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
The Hyeholde in Moon is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to eat and they go all out decorating for Christmas. I wasn't totally blown away by what I ate there, but it may have been what I ordered and I've only been there once. It appears to get good reviews but it is pricey.

Hyeholde Restaurant and The Round Room

It is quite nice there and a little out of the ordinary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Why don't you take him to Lautrec at Nemacolin.

I'll second that, Lautrec is one of the fanciest restaurants I've been too. The only drawback is it is a little far (that and it is indeed pricey).

Old 12-18-2012, 08:01 PM

268 posts, read 324,466 times
Spoon would definitely be my number 1 choice. If you are looking for exquisite food, but also for my 2 cents the best wine list in the city. Chef Brian Pekarcik used to work for Gary Danko in San Francisco and has brought with him that extensively developed wine list that is rarely found in Pittsburgh restaurants.

My number 2 would be Salt of the Earth.

Happy eating! You can't go wrong with many of the places above....but these two are just outstanding cutting edge culinary delights.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,841,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Why don't you take him to Lautrec at Nemacolin.
Agree with the top notch white tablecloth experience there. Good chef too. If your brother appreciates service, can't go wrong there.

That said, a lot of chefs I know don't want to do fancy or upscale when they go out, they just want something good they can enjoy and not feel the need to critique or analyze. I'll throw out a couple of other suggestions for great food, not much in the amenity area: Josza's (Hungarian) and KousKous (Moroccan). Both are byo and the chef/owner is right up front.

Last time I went out with a well-known chef from a major city, he chose Dinette. He probably would've also stopped in at Station St Hot Dogs if it had been open at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or