Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:42 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,880,844 times

Advertisements

The Best Places to Raise Kids 2013 - Finding the Best in Small Towns - Businessweek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 03:59 AM

377 posts, read 652,032 times
I am guessing no one actually visited Cranberry based on the blurb referring to it as charming. I can admit there is a lot to do for kids. They offer a lot of different programs through the park/rec department. However I have never thought of Cranberry as charming.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,079,075 times
One of these days I'd love to see a photo tour of Cranberry to get a feel for what it looks like.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:42 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
One of these days I'd love to see a photo tour of Cranberry to get a feel for what it looks like.
It's impossible to photograph such a place.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:57 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,051 times
Quote:
Here you go.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:00 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,651,584 times
Quote:
Well, I did get a new camera (should arrive today), so maybe I'll try it on a nicer day sometime, if I find time for that on such a day. In general, though, Cranberry has been until recently the worst kind of example of sprawl, with little regard to what is next to what, no sidewalks, etc. It also has a key nasty traffic bottleneck that is hard to fix because it requires a new bridge over the PA Turnpike and the businesses are kind of close to the existing bridge. It looks mainly like any kind of generic sprawl. I think perhaps some don't realize what has happened there. This is not an old town that has grown into a sprawling suburb. This is complete rural farmland that grew directly into the sprawl, and the sprawl got out of hand before the township got a plan in place. New stuff has some better requirements, but it's still sprawl, and you can't (quickly, anyway) change what is already there. There is no town to speak of or take pictures of. It's just a jumble of stuff.

There are a few remnants of the original rural nature of the place, including the open space and barn on Rochester Rd near Rt 19. But that land is all set for development as well. If you go out into the far corners of the township some of it is still at least semi-rural. There is also the longtime fudge stand on Freedom Rd. She has been back selling recently, and she'll be there over this weekend so anyone local I highly recommend you stop in and get some.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:41 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post

Taken abstractly, there are some fascinating images in that search.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:03 AM

281 posts, read 340,574 times
I'm not sure how The Place That Gave Us Homo-hating Daryl Metcalf (R-Cranberry) could be a good place to raise kids.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:07 AM

994 posts, read 900,861 times
The challenge in coming up with such a list, besides the criteria of what makes a good community being highly subjective, is that statistics don't tell the whole story. Looking at the set of criteria that Business Week used, Cranberry easily scores well with decent schools, low crime, low unemployment, etc. However, these stats can't account for the heart and soul a place has... and at risk of upsetting some people, I think these suburban sprawl communities like Cranberry have very little heart and soul. They have no center. You must drive just about everywhere you want to go. Many of the homes are large and look exactly the same, and located in made up communities with made up names that sounded good to someone... Apple Grove Meadows (with no apples) or Country Hills (with no hills).

Old 12-19-2012, 10:29 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,564 times
To be fair, the new leadership in Cranberry really seems to be trying to bring the place together. Problem is that it's gotten to this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh