Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2021, 10:43 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times

Advertisements

I do think it is possible to have continued population decline and still be a great city or town. I think too much emphasis is placed on growth. Many of the most livable places, with the most affordable housing and least competition for resources are in towns with declining populations. That's why I'm not worried about a place like Beaver Borough, which by all reports is a lovely place to live, but has been declining in population since, what, 1930? Another example would be a small city like Wheeling, which is dirt cheap, architecturally beautiful and with beautiful scenery, and has plenty of amenities.

Does anyone know where to get the 2020 census stats for cities smaller than 5k population? That's why I can't find Beaver and Kittanning. It's possible that Beaver posted some growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 11:07 AM

I just noticed that Scranton grew for the first time since the 1930 census. That's huge.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:38 AM

10,854 posts, read 4,534,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I do think it is possible to have continued population decline and still be a great city or town. I think too much emphasis is placed on growth. Many of the most livable places, with the most affordable housing and least competition for resources are in towns with declining populations.

agreed. my other home is about an hour north of you literally bordering the forest. The draws are woods, animals, fishing, boating, hunting, atving etc. the population has tanked. 1/3 the homes are primary residences. the rest camps (ditto mine and I bought in pitt) but the area STILL has woods, animals, fishing, boating, hunting atving etc

Old 08-16-2021, 12:17 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
I just noticed that Scranton grew for the first time since the 1930 census. That's huge.
Yep. Scranton grew by a smidge. Hazleton and Wilkes-Barre grew moderately.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:39 PM

220 posts, read 146,645 times
Quote:
I do think it is possible to have continued population decline and still be a great city or town. I think too much emphasis is placed on growth. Many of the most livable places, with the most affordable housing and least competition for resources are in towns with declining populations. That's why I'm not worried about a place like Beaver Borough, which by all reports is a lovely place to live, but has been declining in population since, what, 1930? Another example would be a small city like Wheeling, which is dirt cheap, architecturally beautiful and with beautiful scenery, and has plenty of amenities.

Does anyone know where to get the 2020 census stats for cities smaller than 5k population? That's why I can't find Beaver and Kittanning. It's possible that Beaver posted some growth.
I just found this today. Here is the link: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 08-17-2021 at 10:52 PM..

Old 08-16-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runpens1 View Post
I just found this today. Here is the link:Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Fantastic! I'm digging into the data and finding some surprises..

Beaver Borough declined at the 2020 census, but by fewer than 100 residents. Surprisingly, Beaver Falls, which most would probably say is a more distressed town than Beaver, grew!

Millvale declined by more than 400 residents. I was expecting that this up and coming town would have seen some growth.

Meanwhile, Kittanning and Ford City, the two largest cities in Armstrong County, declined by fewer than 100 residents each for 2020. That's much less steep of a decline than was anticipated!

Looking at Allegheny County, there were a lot of older towns that posted slight growth.

Last edited by Yac; 08-17-2021 at 10:52 PM..

Old 08-16-2021, 05:43 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,535 times
Quote:

I was shocked to see Beaver Falls grow. That is really a distressed area. Nonetheless still a bright spot.

FYI, I researched Wheeling, WV population declines. In 2020 the population declined in Wheeling by 5%. Between 1960 and 2010 Wheeling declined between 9 and 11 percent each census. This is the lowest the city has declined since 1950 when it lost 3.6% of its population. A very good census for them.

The decline of the entire rust belt is slowing for sure. It’s across the board.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:37 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
Quote:
Millvale declined by more than 400 residents. I was expecting that this up and coming town would have seen some growth.
Is there any data available about the numbers of households? Perhaps the number of households increased while the population decreased due to decreasing family sizes?

Old 08-17-2021, 06:50 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Is there any data available about the numbers of households? Perhaps the number of households increased while the population decreased due to decreasing family sizes?
I have a feeling that's why a lot of otherwise desirable towns like Beaver, Millvale, Etna, Sharpsburg, Verona, Dormont, etc. keep declining in population. There's no space to build new homes, so as household size decreases in the existing homes the population declines with it.

The City of Pittsburgh actually has a TON of available parcels to construct new homes, so, if there was ever the desire to get the land bank going properly, there could be thousands of new homes and townhomes built on vacant lots and larger parcels throughout the city.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:55 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Beaver Falls is growing because of the Mr. Belvedere fan community wanting to live like Bob Uecker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh