Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 02:10 PM

22,286 posts, read 47,230,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
So you're only car is one that has virtually zero harsh weather capabilities in a extremely hilly environment that known to get snow up to eight months out of the year.
Great gravy... you make it sound like we live in the Himalayans.
And when have we ever had snow for eight months of the year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 02:16 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,695,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I bought the car in FL, long before I knew I'd be moving to Pittsburgh. I don't want car payments right now, but if you'd like to buy me another car I won't object.

But it's made it through 6 winters here so far, so maybe I actually know how to drive?

I do winterize it with snow tires and 4 bags of salt in the trunk though...
OK, if you're not a native then I'll give you a pass. Florida is a good place for a Mustang.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:19 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,695,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Great gravy... you make it sound like we live in the Himalayans.
And when have we ever had snow for eight months of the year?
All eight months in a single year, probably never. But we have had snow from October through May in any given year.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:20 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,187,136 times
I had a Camero, back in the mid/late 70s. It went pretty good in the snow. (With tire chains on it.)

Quote:
Also, if you simply don't grasp the core concepts of driving in snow (like maintaining momentum to get up a hill for instance),
That's a very useful strategy, right up until the moment the guy in front of you slows down because the guy in front of him slowed down, because the guy in front of him slowed down, because the guy in front of him slowed down...etc.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:26 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,348,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I had a Camero, back in the mid/late 70s. It went pretty good in the snow. (With tire chains on it.)

That's a very useful strategy, right up until the moment the guy in front of you slows down because the guy in front of him slowed down, because the guy in front of him slowed down, because the guy in front of him slowed down...etc.

My uphill trip includes stop signs. I wonder if I'm supposed to just run them.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:58 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,580,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I wonder if it just seems that way because there are fewer congested areas in WV. It only takes a few cars to screw up a road ike McKnight.
Congestion doesn't really enter the equation when someone driving a vehicle that is heavier than mine and probably has better tires, can't seem to navigate the road with any effectiveness.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:01 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,580,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post

Wasn't the case. Two lanes and vehicles in neither could effectively maneuver up the hill. Several instances where the car directly in front of me would slow down and get stuck...and stay stuck, despite it being quite easy to find the required traction to build momentum again.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:01 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,187,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
My uphill trip includes stop signs. I wonder if I'm supposed to just run them.

That's what your horn is for.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:09 PM

225 posts, read 298,596 times
Anyone who can't handle driving in the snow should stay home, every day.

Even in the summer.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:47 PM

116 posts, read 215,374 times
Unfortunately the type of car you drive has little to do with how you drive in inclement weather. It's about your tires, momentum, and watching out for who is in front of you and around you. I had no trouble today in a 300hp rear wheel drive sedan with Blizzak's. It's the poor fools in trucks and SUV's who think they can do anything because they have AWD who end up stranded in a ditch or overturned on 279. Of course there are people in all types of vehicles who have no idea how to drive and that's what usually causes accidents and incidents on snowy roadways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh