Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM

912 posts, read 1,732,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I don't like this idea at all. Primanti's is something that should be exclusive to Pittsburgh. Taking it around the country will make it less unique.
I say why not take it national? Someone already said, and I can attest that bars and restaurants across the country are already making knockoff versions of the sandwiches. Might as well expand the brand and give the rest of the country the original. Plus, it could help build the Pittsburgh brand, and make the Strip location a bigger tourist draw as people want to visit the original location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
Unless Mancini's is part of the expansion it'll be doomed.
Even the suburban satellite stores aren't nearly as good as the one in the strip.
Mancini's went WAY down hill. Don't fall for their hype, believe me. I would rank them about as low as it gets for bread of any kind around here.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:45 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
Plus, it could help build the Pittsburgh brand
People these days call things a brand which, strictly speaking, aren't a brand. In Pittsburgh's case, it's a city.

The instance that brings this to mind is an article about Jimmy Kimmel's show moving to 11:35 p.m. and Nightline moving to 12:35 a.m. In the article, two of ABC's executives justified moving Kimmel's show because he is a brand. I thought he was an entertainer, one who has a show. Is it a brand, also?

WTF are you all talking about?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:18 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,743 times
IMO, even the various Primanti's scattered around Pittsburgh aren't as good as the original Strip location.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:20 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
IMO, even the various Primanti's scattered around Pittsburgh aren't as good as the original Strip location.
Good to know. If I ever eat "a Primanti's," I'll do it in the Strip.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 PM

912 posts, read 1,732,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
People these days call things a brand which, strictly speaking, aren't a brand. In Pittsburgh's case, it's a city.

The instance that brings this to mind is an article about Jimmy Kimmel's show moving to 11:35 p.m. and Nightline moving to 12:35 a.m. In the article, two of ABC's executives justified moving Kimmel's show because he is a brand. I thought he was an entertainer, one who has a show. Is it a brand, also?

WTF are you all talking about?
Sorry. That's my advertising degree and job coming out. In this day and age everyone and everything is a brand. You and I are our own personal brands. It's basically your identity, how you present that identity and how others perceive it. If you really want to know more, Google "branding yourself". There are countless articles on personal brands.

Jimmy Kimmel is a brand. I'm not particularly familiar with his show, so I can't tell you his brand identity.

Pittsburgh is also a brand. Rich, strong history that has reinvented itself for the 21st Century (there's obviously a lot more to Pittsburgh's brand than that, but I've only been here six months, so I'm still learning about the city).

Primanti's is as synonymous to Pittsburgh as the inclines and the Steelers. That's why, IMO, expanding Primanti's outside the region won't cheapen it or make it seem less unique. Instead, it will bring a little piece of Pittsburgh to other parts of the country. When people visit (and apparently they will as a top travel destination of 2013) they can go to the original Primanti's to see where it started.

The closest thing I can think of comparing it to is Uno's Pizza. They took something uniquely Chicago and brought it to the rest of the country. It hasn't made deep-dish pizza any less synonymous with Chicago. It brings Chicago to the rest of the country. I spent some time in Chicago interning at an agency there, and I can tell you that the original Pizzeria Uno and Pizzeria Due across the street are always packed. And just like people here already say that the original Primanti's in the Strip is the best, those two Unos are the best as well. People still flock to the original to see where it all began.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Good to know. If I ever eat "a Primanti's," I'll do it in the Strip.
I went to the Primanti's in Robinson once for a quick bite. It all tasted the same to me.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:15 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The best part of Primanti's sandwiches is the mancini's bread, and I don't see how their West Park facility will be able to handle such a large increase in orders.
Different strokes. When my wife-to-be first took me, a New Englander, to Primanti's in the late 90s, my comment after eating the kielbasa sandwich was, "What the hell was that bread, it was awful."

To me, you could put tofu, rattlesnake, emu or moose on a Primanti's sandwich and because they throw the slaw and fries on top, it'll all taste like slaw and fries anyway. Which I suppose is why adding an egg to any order is an improvement.

I could understand the original intent of giving a truck driver a meal they could eat with one hand. But I never understood the appeal to the general public.

Primanti's will go over HUGE in Tulsa.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,492 times
Please open one in Philly

Old 01-04-2013, 06:57 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
But I never understood the appeal to the general public.
I always thought that the appeal was in it being "drunk food." Lots of bread, fries and grease to soak up the alcohol in your stomach before bed. (Plus I always got the double egg and cheese, so it was like an early breakfast.) Other than going there with an out of town friend, I mostly went there in my 20s and 30s after 2:00am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh