U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 03:15 PM

222 posts, read 737,854 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a family-style restaurant in the Pittsburgh area for the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend, November 24.

My spouse and I live in Michigan and my daughter and her husband live in Philly. Neither of us can take several days off to travel to the other's homes for the holiday, so we thought we would split the difference and meet about halfway in the middle in Pittsburgh for lunch on Saturday. We figure there will be less traffic that day and also fewer people eating out.

I am looking for a restaurant that is not too fancy, but also not fast food or pizza. We may have to settle for one of the chain restaurants, but would prefer to dine someplace that is unique to your city. It should be big enough to accommodate a large group (we might have 10 to 12 people or so when everyone makes up their minds) and have a fairly diverse menu. (It would be great to get turkey and stuffing, but not required.)

And, unfortunately, it also needs to be close to one of the major highways, since none of us are from the area and we want to spend a lot of time finding someplace that's off the beaten path. Oh, and some place that will not get too grumpy if we just want to sit and chat for an hour or so after the meal.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Anybody?

So far, 38 people have read this message and not one person can give me any leads?

Old 10-22-2007, 01:27 PM

23,061 posts, read 24,959,935 times
It's hard to say, without knowing your price range or your interests. You're talking not Thanksgiving itself, but the Saturday after?

These are places I've taken family when they've come to visit:
Grand Concourse: http://www.stationsquare.com/grandconcourse/ (broken link) May be pricy, but beautiful.

Church Brew Works: The Church Brew Works

Sharp Edge--the Creekhouse location is bigger and quieter than the others: Sharp Edge Beer | America's #1 Belgian Beer House ! (broken link)

Old 10-22-2007, 01:31 PM

2,902 posts, read 9,237,289 times
Quote:
Any suggestions?
Those are quite a few specifics you are looking for, I'm drawing a blank at the moment, but will try to think on it, I promise. I will ask my parents, too. They know a ton about restaurants in Pittsburgh.

EDIT

I take that back, there is one place I can think of that might be a good suggestion. It IS a chain, but there are only a few, and they are a Pittsburgh- only chain, born and raised here.

The place is called Atria's. It's kind of got a nice family-friendly atmosphere with a little bit of trendy mixed in. I actually like them a lot. There is one located in PNC park that is really neat, because then you get to see the Park and can sit outside (were it warm).

Here is their website: Atrias

They have a really great menu with some very old-fashioned traditional feasts, too!! Definitely check it out!! The more I write, the more I think it may be the perfect place. You can hop on to one of many different highways from downtown, too.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:36 PM

Atrias! Yes, that's a good one.

And, I forgot Max's Allegheny Tavern, which is good if your family likes German food at all: Welcome to Max's Allegheny Tavern - A Fine German Restaurant in Pittsburgh, PA

Old 10-24-2007, 11:53 AM

13 posts, read 35,186 times
Yep, Atrias is a great recommendation! One of my favorite restaurants, there is nothing that isn't great on the menu.

I know the perfect place though....
The Georgetown Inn. It's on Mt. Washington which overlooks our city. REALLY great views and food. A little pricey.
Georgetowne Inn.com
Also on Mt. Washington is the Grandview Saloon (now called the coal hill steak house the Grandview Saloon). This is not as pricey, but still has the killer views.
New Page 1 (http://www.coalhillsteakhouse.com/ - broken link)

Old 10-24-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Looks like Atrias

Thanks for coming through everyone. I know I asked for a lot, but felt that there had to be something out there that fit the bill. The Georgetowne Inn looked good as well, but it's not open until 5 pm on Saturday.

So, it looks like Atrias is the best choice. Now a second question: of their many locations, which one is likely to be the easiest to access for my family, assuming we are coming from the West (Ohio Turnpike) and my daughter is coming from Philly?

Thanks again!

Old 10-24-2007, 01:13 PM

2,902 posts, read 9,237,289 times
Quote:
which one is likely to be the easiest to access for my family, assuming we are coming from the West (Ohio Turnpike) and my daughter is coming from Philly?
Probably the one at PNC Park on the northshore (they MAY have special hours, you should check it out).

Old 10-24-2007, 01:41 PM

I'd second PNC.

The Atria's in Robinson is conveniently located near highways as well, but it's not very attractive (in an office building) and you'd be getting into the post-Thanksgiving mall traffic from Robinson Town Center.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:43 PM

13 posts, read 35,186 times
I think the one in Wexford is the best and the closest for you. You would get off the Cranberry exit of the turnpike, and get right onto 19 South. Atrias is about 5 minutes from the Turnpike on 19. I think it's the nicest one as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or