Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 02:41 PM

8 posts, read 24,701 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I moved to Pittsburgh 9 months ago, and it's been a so-so experience. The main issue was that I moved here right after graduating from college, so I was used to having a huge group of friends. I know moving to any new city can be a lonely experience, but for some reason I feel like it's especially difficult to meet people in Pittsburgh. I've made some friends at the company I work for, but I haven't really developed a group of friends that I hang out with on a regular basis. I've tried joining different organizations and groups, but it's been hard. As a transplant to the city, I actually really like it. You can't beat the cost of living and I feel like Pittsburgh has a lot to do - if I had some people to hang out with. I've mainly gone out in Southside and the Strip. But, I've heard that Shadyside is a good place to meet other young professionals. Does anyone have any recommendations on good places to go in Shadyside and/or ways to meet people around here?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 05:39 PM

76 posts, read 273,997 times
Volunteer!
I'm on the Board of Directors of four different non-profits. I've met tons of folks and we do interesting things for good causes.
Pick a topic that you find interesting (children, history, home rehabbing [a Pittsburgh favotite!], cooking, film & video, community, art, etc., etc., etc.) and dive in.
It won't take long before folks are knocking on your door to get you to participate in some fun event.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:49 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,039 times
Sunsh0wers, if you like to drink (well you don't have to drink) I'll be glad to take you out to some of the more trendy and fun bars in town, most are in Shadyside. They are gay bars though, but I find we are the most friendly people around. :P The bars I go to are usually swelling with straight girls. I just met a girl last week I love! We are already friends.

Anyway, I would head to the Southside, too, especially the Southside Works. There are tons of bars and restaurants and places to eat. It is usually crowded with young people, especially during the weekend. Some will tell you it's just a big drunken mess, but there are tons of young professionals who go out and like to have a drink and eat and shop, I'm one of them.

I meet people in Squirrel Hill sometimes, too, especially at the Borders and Eat N Park and Cold Stone right there.

What would your ideal people be? Artsy? Partiers? Clubbers? Sporty? Cultured? Shopper?

Old 10-17-2007, 07:59 PM

101 posts, read 353,523 times
Which organizations and groups have you joined so far? I've met a lot of great people through meetin.org. I'd highly recommend it as there is no cost involved. There is also meetup.com which some people prefer.

Also, consider joining clubs like the Pittsburgh Young Professionals (PYP). I'm not a member yet but am considering joining. There is a small fee for that one though.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:21 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,551 times
I feel your pain somewhat. I've been here for 3 months and still don't know anybody. I imagine 9 months is much worse though. Let me know if you have any success somewhere haha.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:26 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for the great ideas so far!

Chautauquast - Volunteering for some non-profits was an idea a co-worker gave me too...I'll definitely have to look into that. I guess part of me thought that since I'm 23 and a fresh graduate, I might not be considered to be part of a board or anything like that. But, I'm game to try it.

Boylocke - Thanks for the offer - that would be great! I had a lot of LGBT friends in college and would love to get back into the scene. I have been to South Side Works, Squirrel Hill, and Shadyside a few times and I really like the atmosphere of all places. I would go more often if I had people to go with. I'm not sure that I have "ideal people" that I would like to meet...mainly just other young professionals or people my age who like to have fun and are laidback.

Maaz - I joined the Network of Indian Professionals when I moved here. Everyone was nice, but just not very friendly. They were a lot older than me as well, which is fine, but I felt like most of the members I met already had their niche group of friends. I've looked into Meetup (not a lot of groups that meet my interests) and I'm also considering joining PYP. Let me know how that goes if you do join.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:34 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,039 times
Quote:
Boylocke - Thanks for the offer - that would be great! I had a lot of LGBT friends in college and would love to get back into the scene. I have been to South Side Works, Squirrel Hill, and Shadyside a few times and I really like the atmosphere of all places. I would go more often if I had people to go with. I'm not sure that I have "ideal people" that I would like to meet...mainly just other young professionals or people my age who like to have fun and are laidback.
Fantastic!! I'd be happy to take you out!! As a matter of fact, if you aren't doing anything Friday, I'll take you to 5801 and Spin. They are always jumping with young people. How does that sound? It would almost be a blind date, only with two people that could never possibly date! Fun times!

The first week of November I am throwing a little party at my condo downtown with about 10 people or so. There will be plenty to drink but it's going to be a board game night. Apples to Apples, ImagineIff, Taboo etc. Would you be into that? The liquor makes it all better.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsh0wers View Post
Hey Everyone,

I moved to Pittsburgh 9 months ago, and it's been a so-so experience. The main issue was that I moved here right after graduating from college, so I was used to having a huge group of friends. I know moving to any new city can be a lonely experience, but for some reason I feel like it's especially difficult to meet people in Pittsburgh. I've made some friends at the company I work for, but I haven't really developed a group of friends that I hang out with on a regular basis. I've tried joining different organizations and groups, but it's been hard. As a transplant to the city, I actually really like it. You can't beat the cost of living and I feel like Pittsburgh has a lot to do - if I had some people to hang out with. I've mainly gone out in Southside and the Strip. But, I've heard that Shadyside is a good place to meet other young professionals. Does anyone have any recommendations on good places to go in Shadyside and/or ways to meet people around here?

Thanks!
Dont feel bad, I've lived here all my life and still feel new to Pittsburgh because most of my friends have moved away..

Old 10-18-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
Fantastic!! I'd be happy to take you out!! As a matter of fact, if you aren't doing anything Friday, I'll take you to 5801 and Spin. They are always jumping with young people. How does that sound? It would almost be a blind date, only with two people that could never possibly date! Fun times!

The first week of November I am throwing a little party at my condo downtown with about 10 people or so. There will be plenty to drink but it's going to be a board game night. Apples to Apples, ImagineIff, Taboo etc. Would you be into that? The liquor makes it all better.
Friday sounds great! I messaged you my email, drop me a line and we'll figure out the details. And as far as board game night goes, I'm definitely in. Apples to Apples is quite possibly the best game ever

Old 10-18-2007, 08:40 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
If you like indie and foreign films, I'll plug the movie group I help moderate: PittFilmGroup : Pittsburgh Film Group We usually meet up a few times a month and tie it in with dinner or drinks.

Have you checked craigslist? There are all kinds of postings for strictly platonic friends, groups, activities, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh