Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 01:29 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
This is someone I voted for? He's turning out to be as douche-y as he is funny-looking.
I lean left politically, but I never just vote for the straight Democratic ticket. I've noticed many around here DO happen to vote in that manner on a recurring basis, which really concerns me. If I'm not mistaken Fitzgerald's opponent was Republican D. Raja, whom I voted for, and he lost by a landslide (most likely because he was Republican).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 01:41 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I lean left politically, but I never just vote for the straight Democratic ticket. I've noticed many around here DO happen to vote in that manner on a recurring basis, which really concerns me. If I'm not mistaken Fitzgerald's opponent was Republican D. Raja, whom I voted for, and he lost by a landslide (most likely because he was Republican).
What were the differences between Fitzgerald and Raja on substance?

The only difference I recalled was that Raja wanted to repeal the drink and rental car taxes, creating an even bigger hole for PAT.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:56 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Oh, I definitely voted against Raja, whose TV commercials made me think he was sneaky, dishonest, a tool.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:14 PM

281 posts, read 340,693 times
Quote:

Now why would you vote for Raja when he believes you should be denied civil rights?

Old 02-03-2013, 11:51 AM

480 posts, read 611,845 times
Anyone else find it troubling that one of the PAT Board members, Brooks, didn't even bother to vote on this firing?

Old 02-03-2013, 12:06 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghuser View Post
Anyone else find it troubling that one of the PAT Board members, Brooks, didn't even bother to vote on this firing?
the whole thing stinks including the way fitz is trying to drag his name through the mud. it hasnt gone unnoticed in transit circles and certainly solidifies the regions reputation as a transit train wreck.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:03 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Report: Pay Raises From Fired Port Authority CEO Rescinded « CBS Pittsburgh

Old 02-04-2013, 09:23 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the whole thing stinks including the way fitz is trying to drag his name through the mud. it hasnt gone unnoticed in transit circles and certainly solidifies the regions reputation as a transit train wreck.
Yes, the whole thing stinks of rotten politics. I'm sure they will find someone from somewhere in this country to fill the spot, but I would hope the candidates do some research and realize you will have Papa Fitzgerald looking over your shoulder every chance he gets. I am assuming whomever they bring in will be a supporter of making a regional transit agency since that is what Fitzgerald wants to ultimately do.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Fitzgerald wanted former Turnpike CEO Joseph G. Brimmeier, a Port Authority board member, to replace Bland on an interim basis, but the board chose Chief Financial Officer Ellen McLean. Fitzgerald said he doesn't know McLean well. ..; Bland made $185,000 a year and will receive half that amount as a severance for being fired without cause.
Quote:
Fitzgerald's ideas include boosting revenue through sponsorships and naming-rights deals[did bland ever oppose this?]; equipping buses with GPS technology so riders can track buses' whereabouts[did bland ever oppose this?]; removing buses from inner streets Downtown[not exactly a transit friendly idea]; increasing economic development along the T light-rail line[not PAT CEO's responsibility, already occurring anyway] and improving signs; and converting buses to run on natural gas[nobody has found that this the expense is worthwhile, it would use capital dollars with few benefits to the public...And, in Rich Fitzgerald, it has an elected county executive who has said -- in a way that could prove troublesome -- that he wants more day-to-day control over Port Authority operations. Maybe after he hires a new professional for that task, he can turn his attention to using his political skills to get sufficient funds for the transit system. That shouldn't be a job for the Port Authority's CEO.
Port Authority CEO search takes shape | TribLIVE
exactly
Quote:
The most troubling comment in the aftermath of Port Authority CEO Steve Bland's firing last week came from the Allegheny County transit agency board's new chairman.Attorney Jeff Letwin, a board member since 2005, said Mr. Bland failed to secure a reliable, dedicated source of state funding for the Port Authority and that the agency needs "someone who's going to be better positioned at all levels, particularly Harrisburg, to get that dedicated funding....blame for failing to attain it should not be placed at the feet of the CEO.What Mr. Letwin described is a political power broker.The chief executive officer should have experience in the field of transit and the ability to run a complex organization, including personnel management skills, financial acumen and connections in the industry sufficient to ensure that Port Authority leadership is attuned to trends and improvements being made at other transit systems. In other words, a transit expert.
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2K2xfM4rn[

Old 02-05-2013, 12:00 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Well looks like Gov DoNothing finally got off his ass and did something....Let see if this passes.

Quote:
The plan calls for raising $5.4 billion in additional funding over five years to support roads, bridges, public transit and other transportation modes.

The additional funding for public transit would rise to $250 million per year by the fifth year of the plan, but local governments would be expected to pay a greater share of costs.
The required local match for capital funding would rise gradually from the current 3.3 percent to 20 percent, and the local match for operating funding would go from the current 15 percent to 20 percent. For Port Authority, matching funding is provided by Allegheny County.

Read more: Transportation plan includes removing gasoline tax cap - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
With this plan - Which I don't have a problem with, I think this is gonna be a kick in the ass to PAT and the Collar County Transit systems to come together....No more can the region afford all these small little systems....and with Fitz pushing for this as well, I think we are this to PAT morphing into a SEPTA type agency. This must be done for the regions Transit systems to remain solvent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh