Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 06:43 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,841,904 times

Advertisements

Police: Student attacked at CCAC | www.wpxi.com

Hope that doesn't hurt that little school too much. Safety is no doubt an issue in that area, but I didn't think the campus would be that dangerous. You can see the victim on the video provided. He looks in pretty bad shape. He did have a gun. Not sure if it was legal for him to have one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 06:48 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,966,015 times
Safety is no doubt an issue in that area, ...

Since when? I live here and this is a pretty unusual happening for Allegheny West.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:03 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,088,111 times
Nothing in that article suggests to me that the attack was a random one. Actually, the fact that the victim got jumped by three guys and was carrying a gun suggests to me that there's at least a chance he may be targeted by someone and he knew that he was at risk. If I had to bet, somebody knew they could find the kid when he went to class. Whatever the case, there's absolutely nothing so far to suggest that it's neighborhood violence.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,764,882 times
It doesn't sound random to me either. There has never been anything dangerous about that area. I wouldn't have sent my children down there while they were high school students to take additional classes. They took public transportation and walked across North Side to get there. They never had a problem.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,363,113 times
*Warning: this post is an assuption from a reasonable person using reasoning... Not intended to be offensive/classist, or a stereotypical/blanket statement

Young people with rough backgrounds that are trying to increase their quality of life/circumstances/opportunity/future/chance to make it out/etc are the target market for a lot of CCAC schools to tell the truth. Even though the students have good intentions they bring their baggage with them. In this case it was likely that the baggage led someone to being a victim of a robbery. This is sad, the streets truly are a rough environment to grow up in.
And that's all one can say about this type of assumption... So my take is that the incident doesn't reflect somekind of safety issue in Allegheny West/CCAC and that it was an isolated incident that transcended neighborhood boundaries (and to answer h curtis's question, sticking to the same reasoning as above, I bet the gun was illegally posessed)...

Last edited by Uptown kid; 01-28-2013 at 08:01 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,966,015 times
What Uptown Kid says sounds plausible. I feel a little guilty right now as I immediately jumped to the defense of my neighborhood and forgot about the actual victim in this who's lying beaten in AGH right now. I hope that he pulls through and that this doesn't give up on college.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,995,366 times
Hope the kid pulls through. If he was carrying a gun, that makes me wonder if there was a reason he thought he'd be attacked. Which supports the theory that it wasn't random.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:22 AM

482 posts, read 1,231,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Hope the kid pulls through. If he was carrying a gun, that makes me wonder if there was a reason he thought he'd be attacked. Which supports the theory that it wasn't random.
So people only carry guns when they think they're a sure target?

Old 01-29-2013, 05:27 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,995,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
So people only carry guns when they think they're a sure target?
Let's change that to people often carry guns when they think they're a possible target, and I'll agree.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 AM

14,175 posts, read 22,636,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
*Warning: this post is an assuption from a reasonable person using reasoning... Not intended to be offensive/classist, or a stereotypical/blanket statement

Young people with rough backgrounds that are trying to increase their quality of life/circumstances/opportunity/future/chance to make it out/etc are the target market for a lot of CCAC schools to tell the truth. Even though the students have good intentions they bring their baggage with them. In this case it was likely that the baggage led someone to being a victim of a robbery. This is sad, the streets truly are a rough environment to grow up in.
If this is true, then hopefully this incident gives him further incentive to make something of himself and get away from the riff-raff once and for all. Oftentimes violence is used to keep people from escaping such lousy circumstances, so hopefully his will is strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh