Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 11:21 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'm surprised the owner didn't bother to clean up even a little before taking those photos, though. That's not a good sign.
I completely agree. That's basically the owner acknowledging that the place is a fixer-upper, at best. Sometimes that's not the case, like if it's an estate or the owners are out of country after renting it out for a while, but it's definitely not a positive sign.

The bathroom and kitchen aren't just dirty, they show considerable wear and damage. Even the other pictures show peeling wall paper and other bad signs. It's an awesome looking house on the outside (at least in low resolution real estate pictures), but when you can see that many bad things just in the online listing, there are bound to be many, many more issues that show up in person and during the inspection. It looks like there is an extension cord dangling next to the stairwell; I'm guessing the electrical system is either very old or very poorly updated. It would be a great project house, but it's no surprise that it's only listed for $50K.

EDIT: What is going through a listing agents mind when they take and post photos like these? Do the just not care? Or is it a case of nightmare clients? I mean at least have the owner kick the trash out of the camera's view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 11:43 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
I hope whoever buys that house has the good sense and taste to retain the original woodwork, mantles, and plaster throughout, not to mention the exterior trim. Very few historic homes are this intact, and too many people gut the interiors for drywall, and the exteriors for vinyl. Pray that doesn't happen to this rare survivor.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:07 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I hope whoever buys that house has the good sense and taste to retain the original woodwork, mantles, and plaster throughout, not to mention the exterior trim. Very few historic homes are this intact, and too many people gut the interiors for drywall, and the exteriors for vinyl. Pray that doesn't happen to this rare survivor.
I would hope so too. I hope it doesn't end up getting split into apartments as so many other of those grand old homes on Prospect have. I bought a fixer (not quite as far gone as that one) and have put about 35K into it so far, though most of the work has been my own. It's a really special feeling when you get the floors done, the plaster repaired, wallpaper removed, etc. and the room really pops as if it were brand new. You just can't get that from a newer home. You just have to be OK with the imperfections (plaster will always crack eventually, floors have uneven dark spots, etc...) that you cannot correct. If it were just me, I'd buy a home like that and focus on one or two rooms and a bathroom to start and progress from there as I had the money. It's really easy to do since most of the older homes have pocket doors and can be closed off, at least on the first floor. However, I have a family so I had to put more money into it at the start than I would have liked. Even then, there are still too many projects left to count!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
EDIT: What is going through a listing agents mind when they take and post photos like these? Do the just not care? Or is it a case of nightmare clients? I mean at least have the owner kick the trash out of the camera's view.
No kidding. I could understand some of the shots, like the bath tub. Maybe they didn't want to take the effort to clean it up. But some of the shots showed stacks of books/junk just laying around. It would have taken a few seconds to move those things, and they look very trashy. Makes me wonder if they were left in the shot to cover up a bigger problem.

The fireplace mantels are gorgeous, though.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
The house is obviously a fixer-upper. As far as the photos go, the owner and realtor probably want potential buyers to know what they're in for. And because the house is priced so low, they don't want to put any time, effort, or money into the place.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
That's more than a fixer-upper. There's a lot of work to be done in that house. The roof is leaking. We draw the line at wallpaper.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:13 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,217 times
Default 68 W Prospect

Still up for sale - I just spotted it and sent the listing to my daughter. Love the old homes, but this grand old dame needs someone with deeper pockets to slap on more than just lipstick.

My daughter is looking for a 3 bedroom place in the Keystone Oaks school district. Dormont taxes are pretty high, but Castle Shannon is a bit more reasonable. So, here's hoping that something comes up in her price range, that the flippers don't snatch up first.

blessings, Shen

Old 06-08-2015, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 684 times
My husband and I will be moving to Ingram next month. He has been in the Ohio area for a while, but I will be moving North for the first time.
I like that I can read and get some information about my new town.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:47 PM

61 posts, read 90,197 times
Must have sold as the listing has been removed. I'm an architect with interest and expertise in older homes and would have do loved an old home to restore - my wife probably wouldn't though. It's a shame, I didn't even get to see the pics as listing had already been removed by the time I saw this thread. Did anyone on CD nab this one?

Old 06-08-2015, 02:55 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
Monjam, have you used this site yet? Real Estate Portal | Search | Allegheny County if not just punch in the address and it will give you info on the property
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh