Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:20 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Right.
Okay, I was somehow reading that to be a reversal. Too early for a single malt, so my brain isn't greased very well yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
However, I'm just asking school district separatists who are not stakeholders on either side of the argument to explain their rationale for choosing one group of kids over the other.
Obviously I'm not on that side of the discussion, but I think you make a fine point, and I can only speculate as to why others take the view they do.

When the districts in question are Pittsburgh and Wilkinsburg, the difference in size seems to make people assume that it's a question of suitor and besought: that Wilkinsburg would need to come to the issue cap in hand, asking for a favor.

It has been argued here (by BrianTH, I recall) that the merger would not be that one-sided: if Wilkinsburg's students, parents, and taxpayers have something to gain by a merger, PPS has something to gain out of the deal also.

My point is that the entire region has something to gain. Wilkinsburg as a community has made some progress lately - enough to justify a belief that it is not a hopeless case.

But to the extent that Wilkinsburg school district and its tax rates are a barrier to economic development in the borough (indisputable, I think), and to the extent that, for reasons of geography, transportation networks, etc., the economic development of Wilkinsburg is important to the prosperity of the wider region, then resolving the school district's problems is not just to the benefit of Wilkinsburg's kids (clearly, it is that), but also the region as a whole.

Of course, part of the answer is to work out not just who would benefit from change, but who exactly benefits from the status quo.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:54 AM

19 posts, read 20,366 times
Update!

Wilkinsburg school board approves $3 million loan - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 02-27-2013, 02:15 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,215 times
PPS does have something to gain from the deal - they have approached wilkinsburg about a merger and the school board voted to not even discuss it. Wilkinsburg has never approached Pgh, although they really should (and some of the newer board members support it)

Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 AM

19 posts, read 20,366 times
Election for School Board Members this May!
Does anyone know who on the board supports the PGH merger, and who does not?

Old 02-28-2013, 11:58 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,625 times
If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say the three people voting no are trying to make some kind of a statement. But no, I don't know anything, and I doubt anyone would ever come right out and say anything. I'd also expect the newer board members are less resistant to change than the old ones, but that's another wild guess.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:36 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,625 times
I can't figure if this is an interesting development or window dressing, but the WSD is seeking input from people who live and work in Wilkinsburg now:
http://wesa.fm/post/wilkinsburg-scho...y-hopes-change

Also, Ferlo seems to be meeting with residents on that issue:
Ferlo hosts talks on 'unsustainable' Wilkinsburg education - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh