Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 11:24 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Good luck with your move, Julie.
Thanks Jay! I'm feeling a lot less stressed about it now that I'm here packing. Anticipating the work ahead when I was in Pittsburgh was awful. Can't wait to get settled in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 06:08 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,964,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Thanks Jay! I'm feeling a lot less stressed about it now that I'm here packing. Anticipating the work ahead when I was in Pittsburgh was awful. Can't wait to get settled in.
I'm the same way. Once you start packing and get the actually move underway everything starts to come together. Best of luck for a smooth move. You strike as a very competent person who did a good job organizing this move so I suspect it will all go very well. I'm very happy for you, I think you've chosen a great new city and a great new home.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
You strike as a very competent person who did a good job organizing this move so I suspect it will all go very well. I'm very happy for you, I think you've chosen a great new city and a great new home.
Caladium, thanks. But it feels like it's all smoke and mirrors! Seriously, I feel like it's more under control now. There's going to be some tricky logistical stuff with getting my security deposit back because I'm leaving before my son. He'll have to handle it and I'm a little nervous about them trying to intimidate him into getting less of my deposit back. He's never had to deal with this kind of stuff before. I think I'll have one of my friends there to help so they don't pull a fast one on him..

Old 05-17-2013, 03:58 PM

Default More pictures

Link to new photos: P1000088 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I've posted the first 20 or so photos in the set before, but the last 40 are more recent.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:14 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,630,664 times
Really neat Julie. Every time I look at the pictures I am am amazed.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
Really neat Julie. Every time I look at the pictures I am am amazed.
Me too! I can't believe what a great house I have. I should take pictures of my place in SF that's 1/3 the size of my place there. My place in SF is a rental, but it would cost at least 3.5x as much as I paid for my place in Crafton if I was going to buy it.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:49 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,630,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Me too! I can't believe what a great house I have. I should take pictures of my place in SF that's 1/3 the size of my place there. My place in SF is a rental, but it would cost at least 3.5x as much as I paid for my place in Crafton if I was going to buy it.
How many square feet is the crafton house..it looks enormous.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:06 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,498,965 times
We had that same bathroom (tub, sink, faucets, subway tile and hexagonal floor tile) in the house in Dormont where I grew up. Ours didn't have a shower, just a tub. That Dormont house was built about 1910 and that was all original. Do you have a coal shoot and room in the basement?

Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
How many square feet is the crafton house..it looks enormous.
It's 2700 sf which includes the 600 sf finished attic with a full bath. The attic bath is awful - a bad DIY job from the 80s. Cheap & ugly. Can't afford to remodel it right now. Hopefully within the next five years I can re-do it. I'd also add a closet up there so that the attic could then be called a master bedroom suite should I ever sell the place. I'll be using the attic as my office/studio space. But I know that it would be more marketable as a huge bedroom. There's also a big unfinished basement with a Pittsburgh potty. I'm not sure if its square footage is included in the 2700 sf. There's also a very run-down detached garage. There were 4 bedrooms, one was tiny with no closet. That's the one I converted into a laundry room. It is so easy to do laundry when it's on the same floor as the bedrooms.

I'll say it again; I feel so incredibly lucky to have this place, especially considering there is no way I could have ever been able to afford a similar home in San Francisco.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
We had that same bathroom (tub, sink, faucets, subway tile and hexagonal floor tile) in the house in Dormont where I grew up. Ours didn't have a shower, just a tub. That Dormont house was built about 1910 and that was all original. Do you have a coal shoot and room in the basement?
My house was built in either 1900 or 1901 according to different records I've seen. There's a coal room with no chute in my basement. I guess it was removed at some point.

The plumber told me that the bathroom tile is set in concrete with no grout. There's a steel beam original to the house supporting the bathroom. The plumber said he's had to rip those bathrooms out of houses and it takes at least three days and literally tons of material comes out. They have to be jackhammered out. They were built to last. I guess no one thought they'd ever go out of style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh