U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:26 AM

2,734 posts, read 1,886,138 times

Advertisements

The plumbers just finished converting a tiny second floor bedroom into a laundry room. I'm in heaven. For the first time in two years I no longer have to carry laundry up and down stairs and lug it to the laundromat!!! They also fixed the wacky faucets in my tub and stabilized the vintage pedestal sink. I used Matt Mertz Plumbing in Wexford. I got three estimates and his was the highest, but I chose him because he was the only one who seemed to understand that I was trying to preserve the vintage look of the bathroom, and he was the only one who said he could stabilize the sink. He ended up giving me a 10% discount which brought him closer to or below the other guys' prices. I got the discount because he had a scheduling conflict and asked me if they could start the work a few days later. His guys showed up on time and cleaned up after they left each day. I have high ceilings and a very rickety ladder so I hadn't changed some lightbulbs that had burned out. His guys used their ladder and changed them for me. They also gave me a heavy duty extension cord for the washer and dryer to use until I can get an electrician to install an outlet closer to the machines. BTW, stabilizing the sink was simple and none of Matt's guys could understand why the other plumbers had told me they couldn't do it. Matt called today to see how I liked their work. When I told him what the other plumbers I got estimates from had said about the sink he said "Men are such babies, they just didn't want to do it." I told him that was why I chose his company even though his prices were a bit higher.

And, I bought a car today. Ron Harris at Cochran Hyundai really knows his stuff. He was the only salesperson that showed me how every feature in the car worked while we were on the test drive. And, he took me on hilly, bumpy roads so I could get a feel for how the car rides. He didn't just tell me what the car did, he made sure to show me every little thing and where the info is in the manual. Salespeople at other dealerships weren't nearly as knowledgeable as Ron. He is very thorough. Mellow, low pressure guy. He loves cars and knows a lot about them. Check out his wristwatch if you meet him. He collects awesome watches.

I still have a ton of stuff to do, but it feels good to be making progress. I'll post a link to my blog when I get around to blogging again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 AM

428 posts, read 320,616 times
Nice to hear that you are getting settled in! I was in Crafton last week for a job interview, and again astounded at what a pretty area it is; the craftsman homes had my jaw dropping.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 AM

26,551 posts, read 47,232,923 times
Thank you so much for keeping us updated, Julie! It's so refreshing to read about how other transplants are settling into our area. I also wanted to thank you for your recommendation of the car salesman, as I may soon be in the market for a new vehicle (I've found that Pittsburgh is NOT a good city for hybrids! LOL!)

Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 AM

3,016 posts, read 2,911,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Thank you so much for keeping us updated, Julie! It's so refreshing to read about how other transplants are settling into our area. I also wanted to thank you for your recommendation of the car salesman, as I may soon be in the market for a new vehicle (I've found that Pittsburgh is NOT a good city for hybrids! LOL!)
Pittsburgh is hard on ANY car. For that reason alone it's a gamble every time you buy a used car. I'm amazed at how long cars/trucks can last, so long as they aren't being run in western PA.

Julie - I sure wish you could see the Crafton I grew up in. Knowing what you can see now, try to picture it in the 60's. What a great place it was for me as a kid.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Thanks SCR. I looked at Kias and Hyundais because they are trying to become the next Honda or Toyota. Their cars typically have the same or more features for less and they have incredible warranties. The reviews I read by owners and Consumer Reports, Edmunds, and Kelley were overall good to great on the models I was considering. The Kia Sorento (i believe it was model year 2012 or 2013, maybe both?) has problems with not getting as good gas mileage as claimed. But even owners of that model were otherwise fairly happy with the quality of the car. I ended up getting a Hyundai Santa Fe. Going from a 2003 Chevy Astrovan that has had engine problems since I bought it and only gets 14 miles to the gallon at best, is not unlike my transition from the laundromat and lugging laundry up & down stairs to having a second floor laundry room. I can't believe it's real. It will be such a relief to drive up a hill and no longer see the engine warning light come on while hoping it doesn't blow a gasket before i reach the top. The Santa Fe is a mid-size SUV so it doesn't get great gas mileage, but compared to the Astrovan, it's a Prius. It gets almost double the Hwy mileage. I did very little city driving in the Astrovan, but I imagine the difference there is similar. BTW i did test drive Hondas, Toyotas, VWs, and Nissans. I liked them all, especially the Honda CRV, but I kept coming back to the Hyundai for what I got for the price. My advice is to do your homework, test drive a lot of cars, and take your time to make a decision you'll be happy with. Good luck. Let me know if you meet Ron. Tell him Julie from San Francisco sent you.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Julie - I sure wish you could see the Crafton I grew up in. Knowing what you can see now, try to picture it in the 60's. What a great place it was for me as a kid.
I'll bet it was nice. I really wish I had been able to move here with my kids when I got divorced in 2007. They were teens at the time and having a big house in a neighborhood full of families would have been great. I liked where we lived in Ca, but we could only afford a 2 bdr, 1 ba house. My kids shared a room when they were little, but my son moved to the living room futon when they were teens. He never had his own bedroom. Our rental in SF is only 2 bdr and he still sleeps on the futon in the living room. At least he'll have his own room when he comes to visit me here.

I don't remember how I discovered it, maybe someone on this forum?, but there's a FB page about Crafton that I think you'd like. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2563...27874/?fref=ts

Old 02-20-2013, 11:30 AM

This is a cool site: Historic Pittsburgh Image Collections - An Online Gateway to Thousands of Photographs and Images Documenting Pittsburgh's Visual Past

Old 02-20-2013, 11:43 AM

873 posts, read 396,253 times
Two books you may want to check out:

Pittsburgh: The Story of an American City: Stefan Lorant: 9780967410302: Amazon.com: Books

Pittsburgh Then and Now (Then & Now): Walter C. Kidney: 9781592231416: Amazon.com: Books

Old 02-20-2013, 12:28 PM

Thanks! I also want to go to the Crafton Historical Society down the street at the library and see what I can find out about the history of my home. I am so loving my life here! Right now I think I'll try the Mexican place nearby for a late lunch that someone recommended on the foodies thread.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:52 PM

3,016 posts, read 2,911,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Thanks! I also want to go to the Crafton Historical Society down the street at the library and see what I can find out about the history of my home. I am so loving my life here! Right now I think I'll try the Mexican place nearby for a late lunch that someone recommended on the foodies thread.
That was me that posted the link to the FB Crafton page.

There was a doc on the Historical Soc site that I could see what the occupation was for the occupant of my home back in the early 1900's. I saw Telegraph Operator. Not sure where I saw this one for sure.

Here is an online book "The Story of Crafton, 1740 - 1992"

Historic Pittsburgh General Text Collection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh