Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 06:19 PM

59 posts, read 54,931 times

Advertisements

Things move pretty quickly around here !!

Will be looking at 613 Whitney on Sunday to take pictures and rethink some things. Taxes are spooky and I need to understand better the situation. Funny how I'm more worried about the taxes than I am about the "area" the house is located in. Overpricing is a concern and not sure how it would be appraised once completed and looking for a mortgage.

Appreciate all the feedback from both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 PM

Well my wife couldn't wait for Sunday so we went down this afternoon, walked around, drove around and then stopped at Biddle's Escape. Great place, had some lattes and a bowl of soup. Drove over by Frick park on Braddock and had to stop.........a gentleman was walking two pot bellied pigs. We were laughing and taking pictures. Pigs were crying because they didn't want to go home. Will be visiting again tomorrow with our kids, but I have to say we had a good time today. I can see myself going down for a latte and listening to some wonderful music.

Forgot to mention we went down to the dog park also, couple of dogs were having a great time down there !

Old 02-23-2013, 07:51 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman40 View Post
Well my wife couldn't wait for Sunday so we went down this afternoon, walked around, drove around and then stopped at Biddle's Escape. Great place, had some lattes and a bowl of soup. Drove over by Frick park on Braddock and had to stop.........a gentleman was walking two pot bellied pigs. We were laughing and taking pictures. Pigs were crying because they didn't want to go home. Will be visiting again tomorrow with our kids, but I have to say we had a good time today. I can see myself going down for a latte and listening to some wonderful music.

Forgot to mention we went down to the dog park also, couple of dogs were having a great time down there !
I'm only a few months ahead of you. It's so exciting to be getting the house you want in the place you want. I hope it all works out for you.

My neighbor dropped by today to give me some Italian bread (yum) and chat. She told me about the old couple who used to live in my place and how they wanted someone to buy the place that would love it as much as they had. They raised five kids here. She said they would be happy knowing that I had bought it. Really made my day.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Most of the woodwork is still there and a bit overwhelming for me. Not sure I appreciate the deep dark colors, and I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to paint some of it.
It's absolutely appropriate to paint woodwork if that's what you like. I prefer painted woodwork. Just make sure you prep it properly so the paint doesn't peel.

Quote:
Worried about all the large trees with branches leaning over the property. Are homeowners allowed to trim back branches that hang over their property ?
You are allowed to trim bushes and branches that are over your property. You can't go onto the neighbor's property to do it unless they give you permission. Its best to hire a tree service for this situation. They'll have the proper equipment for reaching branches if the neighbors don't grant permission to do it via accessing their property.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I'm only a few months ahead of you. It's so exciting to be getting the house you want in the place you want. I hope it all works out for you.

My neighbor dropped by today to give me some Italian bread (yum) and chat. She told me about the old couple who used to live in my place and how they wanted someone to buy the place that would love it as much as they had. They raised five kids here. She said they would be happy knowing that I had bought it. Really made my day.

Funny how things work out. I mentioned previously that my wife works for the Fred Rogers Company (Mr. Roger's Neighborhood) and you speak of some wonderful neighbors. Guess we are thinking of doing just what the song says "Won't you be my neighbor" !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's absolutely appropriate to paint woodwork if that's what you like. I prefer painted woodwork. Just make sure you prep it properly so the paint doesn't peel.

You are allowed to trim bushes and branches that are over your property. You can't go onto the neighbor's property to do it unless they give you permission. Its best to hire a tree service for this situation. They'll have the proper equipment for reaching branches if the neighbors don't grant permission to do it via accessing their property.
Prep is always key to quality. Can you share some prep tips please ? Sanding etc. ?

Thank you for the advice. Would hire a professional as some of the branches are in contact with overhead wires.

Anyone know if Verizon Fios is in the area ? We can't get it in Butler. Armstrong utilities has a monopoly.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:19 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
i have fios over on the other side of the busway, so i'm sure it's available there. i think you can put an address into their website and find out for sure.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:48 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,168 times
Quote:
Funny how things work out. I mentioned previously that my wife works for the Fred Rogers Company (Mr. Roger's Neighborhood) and you speak of some wonderful neighbors. Guess we are thinking of doing just what the song says "Won't you be my neighbor" !

Prep is always key to quality. Can you share some prep tips please ? Sanding etc. ?

Thank you for the advice. Would hire a professional as some of the branches are in contact with overhead wires.

Anyone know if Verizon Fios is in the area ? We can't get it in Butler. Armstrong utilities has a monopoly.
If the tree branches are actually resting upon the electrical wires, you may luck out, and your electrical company may take care of this problem free. If you do end up purchasing this property, you might want to call them first- it would not cost you anything to ask. Regardless, when it comes to cutting larger branches around wires, this is a job best left to the pros. This can be expensive, and you may want to include a contingency in your sales contract that this problem be addressed before closing.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:59 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
If the tree branches are actually resting upon the electrical wires, you may luck out, and your electrical company may take care of this problem free. If you do end up purchasing this property, you might want to call them first- it would not cost you anything to ask. Regardless, when it comes to cutting larger branches around wires, this is a job best left to the pros. This can be expensive, and you may want to include a contingency in your sales contract that this problem be addressed before closing.
Excellent advice.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:52 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post

Yes, the electric company may do it at their expense, but the down side to them doing it is that they tend to cut the trees back very aggressively around the wires, leaving the tree quite unsymmetrical. Also, I've seen them cut trees back so aggressively, that trees have died.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:01 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,198 times
I was with the contractor for this place today. I know the developers. It'll be a 400k house when all said and done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh