Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 AM

912 posts, read 1,731,907 times

Advertisements

Stopped reading when it said Primanti's > cheesesteaks.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
Stopped reading when it said Primanti's > cheesesteaks.
Yeah, if they said Peppi's is better then it could make some sense.

One thing about the two cities that is a pretty big contrast are the people. When traveling through Philly, it sure is aggressive and has a feel of being very unfriendly. Pittsburgh seems to be much more friendly, but it is changing in that regard slowly towards a Philly or DC.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Love how the Philly Homers decided to grace the Pittsburgh forum to remind us "How Pittsburgh doesn't compare" as usual.

I will admit most of the list is pretty trivial and insignificant....Both cities have their qualities and "needs improvement" shall we say.

I've lived in both Cities, being from Pittsburgh and lived in Philadelphia for 3 years along with still frequent trips to both.

Here's how it stacks for me.

WINS!

Pittsburgh:
Crime
COL
Neighborhoods (sorry Philly homers, Pittsburgh does have better neighborhood outside of its CBD)
Jobs within the city
Music Scene for the eclectic taste
Cleaner
Politics (Pittsburgh's politics unified towards the city as a whole, Philadelphia no neighborhood comes before Center City and no neighborhood gets as close to amount of city government attention that Center City does....I really hate this about Philly. Not to mention tax systems)

Philadelphia:

Transit (no denying it here, SEPTA's no marvel but it can school PAT)
Center City (Downtown Pittsburgh inspires to be)
Proximity
Foodie Scene (Philadelphia is well Established, Pittsburgh is flourishing nicely I might add)
More Diverse (Philadelphia is no Utopia of ethnicity and race, outside of a Spanish Ghetto and a Chinatown it largely much like Pittsburgh, White and Black).

Toss Ups:

Culture - (Sure Philly offers more as a bigger city, but Pittsburgh does exceptionally well for a city of its size, and pretty much offers the same experiences as Philly again just not as much).

Education - Both cities excel here

Sports - Both big sports Cities. Philly offers more Majors, but Pittsburgh produces more Championships in relative times not to mention Pittsburgh teams have more of a National and International base of fans (hey I guess that mass exodus of population during the Steel bust was good for something).

Fast Food Signatures - I hate that Primanti Bros. is equated to be Pittsburgh's "Cheesesteak". When NO CITY has love for nor does the "Fish Sandwich" better than the Burgh. When comparing Cheesesteaks to Pittsburgh's true signature a fish sandwich, now you have a hard choice.. I almost can't decide I get a craving for both every so often.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Yeah, if they said Peppi's is better then it could make some sense.

One thing about the two cities that is a pretty big contrast are the people. When traveling through Philly, it sure is aggressive and has a feel of being very unfriendly. Pittsburgh seems to be much more friendly, but it is changing in that regard slowly towards a Philly or DC.
Again, LOL. You must really love mayo, because when I ordered my cheesesteak hoagie they probably put a quarter cup on it. Again, Peppi's isn't bad, but it can't compare to a well-made Philly hoagie, and it certainly doesn't hold a candle to Steve's or Jim's. Pat's and Geno's have gotten swept up by tourists and have been coasting on name for years.

I'll give you outward appearances of friendliness, but Philly is now starting to get better in that regard.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Copy that. I've had great times in Boston and Philly, great towns. Likewise Baltimore and DC.

But I think we can all agree that Cleveland sucks.
I really enjoyed my last trip to baltimore (cleveland, not so much).

Old 02-21-2013, 08:23 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Again, LOL. You must really love mayo, because when I ordered my cheesesteak hoagie they probably put a quarter cup on it. Again, Peppi's isn't bad, but it can't compare to a well-made Philly hoagie, and it certainly doesn't hold a candle to Steve's or Jim's. Pat's and Geno's have gotten swept up by tourists and have been coasting on name for years.

I'll give you outward appearances of friendliness, but Philly is now starting to get better in that regard.
You do know you can get mayo on the side or tell them not to put it on right?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post

Uncle Sam's IMB comes closer to a "Philly" than Peppi's does.... South Side Steaks is pretty much a Jim's knock off.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:27 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
But I think we can all agree that Cleveland sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I really enjoyed my last trip to baltimore (cleveland, not so much).
We also had a miserable time when we visited Cleveland. I always thought our cities were much more closely-aligned in terms of revitalization and progress.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:33 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
We also had a miserable time when we visited Cleveland. I always thought our cities were much more closely-aligned in terms of revitalization and progress.
I love visiting Cleveland. I went twice last year and stayed in great hotels, ate at awesome restaurants, and did some really neat things including touring the Great Lakes Brewery, seeing the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra, and driving two boats!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Love how the Philly Homers decided to grace the Pittsburgh forum to remind us "How Pittsburgh doesn't compare" as usual.

I will admit most of the list is pretty trivial and insignificant....Both cities have their qualities and "needs improvement" shall we say.

I've lived in both Cities, being from Pittsburgh and lived in Philadelphia for 3 years along with still frequent trips to both.

Here's how it stacks for me.

WINS!

Pittsburgh:
Crime
Agreed
COL
Agreed
Neighborhoods (sorry Philly homers, Pittsburgh does have better neighborhood outside of its CBD)
[b]I think it really depends. U City > Oakland, Manayunk > Lawrenceville, South Philly > Bloomfield. On the other hand, Squirrel Hill > Chestnut Hill, Point Breeze > East Falls, Mt. Washington (there's really no equivalent). So overall, I see it as a tossup. I will say, however, that more of Pittsburgh's historically ethnic neighborhoods have retained their character than Philly's, but this will unfortunately change as it continues to rise in stature.
Jobs within the city
Agreed
Music Scene for the eclectic taste
Disagree (and not even sure what you're talking about unless it's the Tamburtizans
Cleaner
Agreed
Politics (Pittsburgh's politics unified towards the city as a whole, Philadelphia no neighborhood comes before Center City and no neighborhood gets as close to amount of city government attention that Center City does....I really hate this about Philly. Not to mention tax systems)
Don't know enough to comment.
Philadelphia:

Transit (no denying it here, SEPTA's no marvel but it can school PAT)
Agreed
Center City (Downtown Pittsburgh inspires to be)
Agreed
Proximity
Agreed
Foodie Scene (Philadelphia is well Established, Pittsburgh is flourishing nicely I might add)
Agreed
More Diverse (Philadelphia is no Utopia of ethnicity and race, outside of a Spanish Ghetto and a Chinatown it largely much like Pittsburgh, White and Black).
Agreed, though you undercut the variety of Philly's Latino and Asian populations (hint, there's more than just one "Spanish Ghetto" and Asians live in far more than Chinatown.

Toss Ups:

Culture - (Sure Philly offers more as a bigger city, but Pittsburgh does exceptionally well for a city of its size, and pretty much offers the same experiences as Philly again just not as much).
This gets back to what I always say about the cities being indirect peers. In the end, Philly has more but PGH definitely has more than enough

Education - Both cities excel here
Agreed. Same goes for healthcare.

Sports - Both big sports Cities. Philly offers more Majors, but Pittsburgh produces more Championships in relative times not to mention Pittsburgh teams have more of a National and International base of fans (hey I guess that mass exodus of population during the Steel bust was good for something).
Agreed

Fast Food Signatures - I hate that Primanti Bros. is equated to be Pittsburgh's "Cheesesteak". When NO CITY has love for nor does the "Fish Sandwich" better than the Burgh. When comparing Cheesesteaks to Pittsburgh's true signature a fish sandwich, now you have a hard choice.. I almost can't decide I get a craving for both every so often.
Agreed and now I'm missing the fish fries!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh