Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 01:39 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,033,011 times

Advertisements

In the shadow of the McKees Rocks Bridge and the Adena Indian Mound is a neighborhood called "The Bottoms," a surviving urban relic of the industrial age. Here many immigrants came to work in the P&LE Railroad, Pressed Steel factories, and associated industries during the late 19th century and early 20th century. The work was laborious and dangerous. Many workers died due to poor safety regulations, leading to the bloody McKees Rocks Strike of 1909.

Here are some of the surviving tenements and row homes that once housed workers in these factories. It is important to document and preserve these homes, which represent the heritage and the blood, sweat, and tears of the immigrants who moved here so long ago to build better lives for themselves.

For more historic photo tours, visit my blog, Discovering Historic Pittsburgh.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 02:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Thanks for sharing. That one story yellow house is interesting. I wonder if it was always a house.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:34 PM

418 posts, read 1,089,859 times
Thanks again for sharing. My hometown back in the 50's & 60's. A very different place back then. We played on that indian mound, and swam in the Ohio river.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:50 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,540,417 times
The Bottoms was a cool place back in the day.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:30 PM

All of my McKees Rocks photos are now in one place, if anyone is interested:

Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: McKees Rocks and Stowe Township

Old 03-01-2013, 12:12 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,977,556 times
Wow, usually your photo tours manage to find some sign of life or progress. This truly looks like it's in the dumps worse than any of your other photo tours I can remember. What's your long term outlook on the Bottoms? Seems like an area that the wrecking ball might get too before a wave of gentrifiers does. It reminds me of Uptown, but without most of the advantages.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
What's your long term outlook on the Bottoms? Seems like an area that the wrecking ball might get too before a wave of gentrifiers does. It reminds me of Uptown, but without most of the advantages.
The Bottoms actually seems like a somewhat stable area. Most of the homes are rentals and occupied or owner-occupied. It's a pretty clean and intact neighborhood - not too many overgrown lots or litter or weird people walking around, like Uptown has, although there is some of that. Just not in the same dose! Just my take on it. I would rather the gentrifiers not come to McKees Rocks - I want the neighborhood to stay affordable for Social Workers. Home restorers are welcome, though! I just don't want the kind of people who flip homes and put them on the market for six digits. I like my $10k houses.

Keep in mind, this is not a tour of the neighborhood, but of the tenement houses within the neighborhood.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:05 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,799,707 times
Where are the tenements? All I see are rowhouses.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:49 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Where are the tenements? All I see are rowhouses.
Agreed.

This is a really fascinating area regardless.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I would rather the gentrifiers not come to McKees Rocks - I want the neighborhood to stay affordable for Social Workers. Home restorers are welcome, though! I just don't want the kind of people who flip homes and put them on the market for six digits. I like my $10k houses.
^ This. Pittsburgh's "safe" and "walkable" neighborhoods are largely appreciating in value beyond the grasp of many lower-income working professionals, such as you and me. I'm now even priced out of buying in Upper Lawrenceville (the "non-trendy" part) and my own Polish Hill, which lacks a business district. As such I'm now looking into areas not unlike "The Bottoms", Esplen, Marshall-Shadeland, and similar neighborhoods to buy a dirt cheap home, rehab it, and live in it long-term. The greedy "flippers" have all but ruined the chances of entry-level homeowners buying into places like Lawrenceville and most of the rest of the East End as they purchase tiny brick rowhomes, put in cheap finishes, and then list them for $299,900. We need to still have some neighborhoods around where people like us can afford to buy into and LIVE in for years to come. I'm tiring of overpaying for rent in the East End and am now committed to buying outside of it and helping to make a struggling, aging, decaying neighborhood a better place for others!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh