Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:27 PM

23 posts, read 46,797 times

Advertisements

The reason I'm asking is because I moved to Beechview recently after relicating to Pittsburgh last month. None of the people I talked to before deciding to rent a place in Beechview (an apartment I really like) had anything negative to say, but recently I started to search crime statistics (I know, I should have done this before moving). What I saw has me a little paranoid in terms of thefts, burglaries and assault and I'm strongly considering to install some sort of security system. Am I exaggerating? How bad is the situation?

Also, is not my intention to offend anybody, I'm new in town and I just want to know what steps should I take to be as safe as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 06:36 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,564 times
Beechview is safe, yet as it is a city neighborhood it is more subjective to crime than any suburb. Also know that a lot of crime comes from the percentage of people addicted to drugs in the area... The junkies commit most of the property crime in Beechview; there aren't any criminal factions in the neighborhood anymore (junkies are better than wanna mafias). Now assults are probably mostly in domestic situations, and between druggies and/or dealers. So if you are still planing on living there just be conscious and careful, lock your doors, never live windows open, etc. Take a few extra safety precautions too (good home security system isnt a bad idea). Though I think you'll be fine.
All in all Beechview is safe, and I think everybody sensible on this forum would tell you the same.
Also, if you're worried about safety avoid walking through these somewhat nearby neighborhoods (even the city parks in their boundaries) on your side of town: Beltzhoover, Knoxville, most of Mt. Oliver Boro, most of Allentown, what's left of the Arlington Heights Housing Projects, and to a lesser degree Arlington, and parts of Carrick.

Last edited by Uptown kid; 03-06-2013 at 06:44 AM..

Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 AM

29,740 posts, read 34,372,211 times
I live in Beechview as well, and while it's still a city neighborhood with all that entails, I don't think it's particularly unsafe, either. I don't have a security system, and I've never felt like I've needed one, either. I've never had anything stolen off of my porch, and I've accidentally left doors unlocked with no ill effects. The only issues I've really had are with litter and people who don't pick up dog poop. Regular city-living safety precautions work fine, and also get to know your neighbors. I feel safe knowing that the retired ladies on my street are keeping an eye out for neighborhood comings and goings, and I've even heard the teenagers across the street tell someone "hey, don't throw that there! She's nice!"

Old 03-06-2013, 01:06 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,232 times
Article on a woman who is involved in neighborhood revitalization in Pittsburgh in the areas in and around Brentwood, Baldwin, Whitehall, Carrick, Overbrook, and Mt. Oliver: Being Part of the Change | Wise Women

Old 03-06-2013, 06:43 PM

632 posts, read 1,739,850 times
My in-laws live in Beechview. They haven't had any problems with crime, bad neighbors, or anything like that.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 AM

Here's a renovated home for sale in Beechview. 1608 Orangewood Ave, Beechview, Pennsylvania 15216 (MLS# 951468) - Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services - PittsburghMoves.com

Old 03-07-2013, 11:18 AM

508 posts, read 889,317 times
Seems a bit pricey but that's one heck of a nice house.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:25 AM

29,740 posts, read 34,372,211 times
If the OP is interested, there are monthly Beechview community meetings at the Presbyterian Church (across from the IGA) on the first Thursday of the month (so, tonight.)

Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
Seems a bit pricey but that's one heck of a nice house.
I posted it because I figured Beechview must be pretty safe if this is the kind of house for sale in the area.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:32 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
That is a nice house. The only thing I don't like is the orange paint in the LR (I would so much rather move into a house I don't need to paint). Best of all, they don't have those flowery, doily looking strips at the top of the wall where it meets the ceiling. Or wallpaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh