U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-13-2011, 09:54 AM

3,874 posts, read 3,401,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I watched the film Martin last night and it was shot almost entirely in Braddock in the 70's. Even then Braddock was a depressing area that George Romero chose due to the fact that it was symbolic of "the erosion of the American dream".

All the time that's passed from then and it's still in the same shape it was with very little change. I'd be quite surprised if the area ever changed completely.
Sometimes, I think it would just be better to tear down that borough completely and give people the money to find homes in better areas (which is just about everywhere else in the region).
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 04:18 PM

73 posts, read 65,108 times
bradjl2009, you assume that everyone wants to live in what you term "better areas". We don't.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:28 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,658,311 times
Not trying to be off topic just voicing my thoughts...
Bradjl2009, I see your point Braddock is in so much blight, but look what they did with St. Clair Villige... They moved everyone to Carrick, Mt. Oliver Boro and I think either Knoxville or Arlington Heights.... I ain't calling hoodlum gang bangers from Mt. Oliver Boro Good Samaritans but Mt. Oliver has become a hot spot for crime these days now that St. Clair Villige is in the house. Carrick also has recently became another bad neiborghood along thr T-line... Who knows if because St. Clair Villige issues??? Though Knoxville and Arlington Heights have remanded in their bad shape, not any worse or better...
If you moved Braddock residents to say Swissvale, Rankin, North Braddock, or Duquense it would only make the porperty space and crime issues even worse than it already is today. If you moved the residents to Edgewood or Braddock Hills I think crime is likely to spred, and upset the balance...

Old 02-13-2011, 06:59 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,002,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Maybe it's an age thing. My friend has all these years on you, during which he's had time to be afraid, let's call it, of your neighborhood. I'm the same way about Greenfield, because of how I began thinking about it 30 years ago.
Was Greenfield ,at one time, a bad neighborhood? One of my co workers lives there and I ride her home sometimes during late evening hours; I've never heard of anything bad happening there.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:08 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,002,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywithbraddock View Post
sorry, alleghenyangel, you're dead wrong. Nobody does grit without gentrification better than braddock. We have pennsylvania's only still operating steel-making mill. We actually have "grit", as in black dust that coats everything. Mckees rocks is going to have to try a little harder if they want to steal our title of "grittiest borough." i challenge anyone (besides clairton) to the white sheet challenge. We'll each hang a white sheet in our back yards and see how it looks in six months.
lol!!!:d

Old 02-13-2011, 07:58 PM

3,874 posts, read 3,401,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywithbraddock View Post
bradjl2009, you assume that everyone wants to live in what you term "better areas". We don't.
The information shows that most areas are in better shape than Braddock in the Pittsburgh area. The fact that the borough's population has fallen over 90% since it's peak population and the massive amount of blight in the borough makes it fair to say that it is one of the worst places to live in Allegheny County.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:21 AM

1,468 posts, read 1,261,975 times
Sorry if someone already posted this - but this past weekend's NY Times article on Braddock and its mayor ends on a sour note:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/ma...l?ref=magazine

Old 02-14-2011, 08:46 AM

4,752 posts, read 3,125,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Sorry if someone already posted this - but this past weekend's NY Times article on Braddock and its mayor ends on a sour note:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/ma...l?ref=magazine
That's depressing.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 AM

3,920 posts, read 3,867,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
That's the point. If there aren't enough gentrifiers to fill those areas, how on earth is Braddock going to attract any? Pittsburgh isn't growing. The limited number of urban pioneers are going to go to the areas that already have some momentum. If Pittsburgh were booming, and houses in the Mexican War Streets were going for half a million, gentrifiers with less money would have to look at the places you mentioned. That's why in NYC, once Park Slope and other well built, but rundown parts of Brooklyn picked up, people began to look at lesser places like Williamsburg. When there is a surplus of housing in a region, the least attractive of this is going to be abandoned.

You still have to pay about $50-70k to get a decent-looking row-house on the North Side or Manchester, and it will probably need a lot of restoration work. I didn't have 50-70k, which is why I looked in McKees Rocks. I imagine there are other people in the same boat, who don't have a ton of money, but want an old house to restore. For those people, McKees Rocks and Braddock are great alternatives.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:02 AM

3,920 posts, read 3,867,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Sometimes, I think it would just be better to tear down that borough completely and give people the money to find homes in better areas (which is just about everywhere else in the region).
Not really. I would rather live in Braddock than Wexford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh