Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:20 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgpmp View Post
i am leaving florida also these people think it is bad in pit let them live in south florida
Ouch, my daughter is going to go to the University of Miami!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 04:58 PM

21 posts, read 45,671 times
Well, thank all of you!

Yeah, it does seem that alot of people are moving from FL. No big surprise there!

Of course planning a move to the north after living in the south all of my life is proving to be a little scary. However, I am so o o looking forward to it!

Tell me, anyone, about the social aspect as far as bigotry goes. I know that there are bigots everywhere, but the south is riddled with them. My fiance tells me that up north things are different. Is that true?

Old 10-26-2007, 07:33 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,168 times
Cool Great Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
That is somewhat true... ehhhh.....

If she looks into Franklin Regional in Westmoreland County, I am fairly certain that Franklin Regional can kick most of Allegheny's School Districts ass. :P

Norwin and Penn Trafford are also excellent schools, on par with most Allegheny offerings. I recommended her to check out all these places except the new growth in Penn Township which I hear is extremely expensive.

Of course, you could head south into Washington County, too, Peter's Township is doing very well for itself and I imagine Canon-Mac is also raising in ratings as a lot more wealth is heading to that area, as well.

You also have Adam's Township in Butler which doesn't have a school building older than about 10 years or so, LOL. It's definitely growing quickly in numbers and excellence.

But I do agree with you on the fact that Allegheny County should never be discredited because of taxes, it has some incredible things to offer.

She was looking into West Mifflin, so I imagine she hasn't black-balled Allegheny County.
Anyone moving to the Pittsburgh region should explore "Great Schools" to receive a general idea of the quality of the schools. The highest rating a district can receive is a "10". Looking at just the high schools, 10 school districts in Allegheny County received this prestigious rating. None of the schools in Westmoreland County attained that level. I guess those are 10 a**es that Franklin Regional did not kick.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:09 PM

76 posts, read 228,175 times
I left south florida for Pittsburgh and LOVE IT! Im a sofla native who never liked the stupid, shallow, sweltering state. No culture, no history, no class, no hills, few trees, few nice people: Pittsburgh is the complete opposite! Now, florida just isn't worth it with high cost of living - it's intolerable! and not affordable. I could go on and on - so much that I want to start a website to help bring more outsiders to Pittsburgh. I like the city life, so don't ask me about Cranberry or someplace like that. But anyone else who is considering Pittsburgh - ask me!

Old 10-29-2007, 04:10 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times
Quote:
I left south florida for Pittsburgh and LOVE IT! Im a sofla native who never liked the stupid, shallow, sweltering state. No culture, no history, no class, no hills, few trees, few nice people: Pittsburgh is the complete opposite! Now, florida just isn't worth it with high cost of living - it's intolerable! and not affordable. I could go on and on - so much that I want to start a website to help bring more outsiders to Pittsburgh. I like the city life, so don't ask me about Cranberry or someplace like that. But anyone else who is considering Pittsburgh - ask me!
Wow OutaFL! What a great post! I am so glad to hear all that, how long have you been here now?? If you do make a website I will add it to "Happenings in Pittsburgh"

Old 10-29-2007, 04:30 PM

76 posts, read 228,175 times
Guylocke,

What a great resource, "Happenings in Pittsburgh" !
I do want to do a ProPittsburgh site at some point. In the meantime I started posting some pics at flickr.com
Flickr: Photos from lovingpittsburgh (http://www.flickr.com/photos/15320989@N06 - broken link)

not many yet, but it helps me show why I love Pittsburgh!

Old 10-29-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutaFL View Post
Guylocke,

What a great resource, "Happenings in Pittsburgh" !
I do want to do a ProPittsburgh site at some point. In the meantime I started posting some pics at flickr.com
Flickr: Photos from lovingpittsburgh (http://www.flickr.com/photos/15320989@N06 - broken link)

not many yet, but it helps me show why I love Pittsburgh!
That was great. While viewing it, I imagined Minnie Rippleton (sp) singing, "Loving youuuuuuuuu is easy cuz you're beautiful..."

Old 10-29-2007, 07:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Ouch, my daughter is going to go to the University of Miami!
I was wondering what decision she had made. I do think students should go where they want to go. It may be a great experience for her.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I was wondering what decision she had made. I do think students should go where they want to go. It may be a great experience for her.
Well, she actually did early action on the three schools so she wouldn't have to commit to one particular school. She'll make up her mind in November after we get back to Miami and take another look. NYU and Penn are still in consideration, but ultimately, I think UM will be her best fit. Which is fine with me because when I begin living in Pittsburgh full time I will want a warm weather climate to escape to once in a while! Lord knows I do love Miami!
I'll keep everyone posted. *smile*

Old 11-05-2007, 08:17 AM

20 posts, read 58,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertreefrog71 View Post
I hate Florida!! The economy stinks, there is little to no culture, the schools stink, and I hate 80-90 degree weather at Christmas!!
My fiance was born in Long Island and moved here when he was 9. He hates it here, too. We are planning a trip to Pittsburgh Thanksgiving week to look around. We have been looking at real estate on the Coldwell Banker site and are really impressed by the pricing. However, there are soooo many Boroughs and townships, that I am reeling with confusion!!

I am leaning towards West Mifflin, City of Greensburg, and a few others.
I have three young children and would like to be in a low crime area with good schools. Wouldn't we all?

I am fairly sure we will have to commute to town to get a good paying job.?
That's ok.

Any advice?
I agree! i live in Tampa and hate it! use to love it until I had my daughter this May. people are rude and the traffic is ridiculous! The weather isn't even worth it anymore. I don't trust having my daughter here in this state with all the child molestors taking our children! I need a safe place as well and I lived in pittsburgh in the late 80's and am originally from Central Pa. I want to move back, just need to talk the husband into it. Help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh