U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-20-2013, 11:50 AM

6,289 posts, read 4,379,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Variants are served from Poland down to Romania/Serbia. My guess is the further south you go, the more likely oil is in the cuisine, as there's a distinct butter belt/olive oil belt in Europe.
That makes a lot of sense.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 02:53 PM

1,255 posts, read 811,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
That makes a lot of sense.
Definteley. Yey, Greeks have invented lots of good things. Well, they might invented the fries in the pita bread for tourists. But at home they won;t eat that. They eat good food, like veggies and fish in olive oil. If you went to any of Greek churches food festivals in Pittsburg that's the real Greek food. You won;t find fish and chips on pita sold as Greek food at church festivals, which proves my point, that it is not authentic Greek food.

I love fish sandwiches. I don;t like the squishy bread and mayo. I like it on hearthy bread and lemon instead of vinegar and tartar sauce.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:49 PM

29 posts, read 24,250 times
pierogies. that being said, I really don't think the burgh has a defining cuisine. I guess it just differs from neighborhood to neighborhood. Something I've noticed in most neighborhoods is a whole lot of Asian food (whether Indian, Chinese, Thai, or Japanese)--and not just your everyday dive-y Chinese food joints.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 AM

4,708 posts, read 4,741,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
And yet... every fish sandwich I've had in Pittsburgh sucks. Armonds... blech!
Have fun being in the minority with that opinion. If you can't find a good fish sandwich in The Burgh, I doubt any city would be able meet your standards.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:28 AM

3,574 posts, read 2,176,707 times
Fathead's 'Southside Slopes' sandwich in the cooking channel's march madness tournament: March Madness College Eats Competition | Devour The Blog: Cooking Channel's Recipe and Food Blog

Old 03-21-2013, 10:57 AM
gg

11,545 posts, read 7,778,780 times
To the original question, Pittsburgh doesn't have a defining food. To be honest, there are a lot of cities that don't and some that actually have more than one. Buffalo has a specific, hot dog, beef on weck and obviously Buffalo wings. I don't know why they have all those, but they do. NYC has pizza, their hot dog and probably some other foods, but with that many people, that is another ball game. Philly has the cheesesteak, but I feel you could name more cities without a defining food than ones with them.

Last edited by gg; 03-21-2013 at 11:30 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 11:05 AM

2,153 posts, read 1,616,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
To the original question, Pittsburgh doesn't have a defining food. To be honest, there are a lot of cities that don't and some that actually have more than one. Buffalo has a specific, hot dog, beef on wick and obviously Buffalo wings. I don't know why they have all those, but they do. NYC has pizza, their hot dog and probably some other foods, but with that many people, that is another ball game. Philly has the cheesesteak, but I feel you could name more cities without a defining food than ones with them.
So the "fish sandwich" is not a Pittsburgh thing?

Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 AM
gg

11,545 posts, read 7,778,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
So the "fish sandwich" is not a Pittsburgh thing?
Can you compare a fish sandwich in Pittsburgh to beef on weck? Notice I don't need to tell you were beef on wick is located. Is there a Pittsburgh style of fish sandwich? Is Pittsburgh's fish sandwich similar to a Philly cheesesteak with folks from out of town? Pittsburgh loves its fish sandwich and we could no doubt promote it as a Pittsburgh staple to visitors, but I just don't feel it is a defining food here. It is arguable of course. If you feel strongly about it Evergrey, I am not going to sit here and argue about it. I don't think it can compare to even the way Buffalo folks make hot dogs. The Buffalo hot dog is way better than what Chicago is offering up and also way better than NYC's dog by a long shot. When I go to Buffalo, I actually make a point to have wings and beef on wick at a bar called Nine-Eleven and hope to have a hot dog at Ted's or there is another place that many like better, but I can't seem to remember the name right now. I do think if promoted the fish sandwich could be a headliner for visitors, but I doubt a visitor coming here would think of a fish sandwich.

Last edited by gg; 03-21-2013 at 11:30 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 AM

13,123 posts, read 10,628,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Can you compare a fish sandwich in Pittsburgh to beef on wick? Notice I don't need to tell you were beef on wick is located. Is there a Pittsburgh style of fish sandwich? Is Pittsburgh's fish sandwich similar to a Philly cheesesteak with folks from out of town? Pittsburgh loves its fish sandwich and we could no doubt promote it as a Pittsburgh staple to visitors, but I just don't feel it is a defining food here. It is arguable of course. If you feel strongly about it Evergrey, I am not going to sit here and argue about it. I don't think it can compare to even the way Buffalo folks make hot dogs. The Buffalo hot dog is way better than what Chicago is offering up and also way better than NYC's dog by a long shot. When I go to Buffalo, I actually make a point to have wings and beef on wick at a bar called Nine-Eleven and hope to have a hot dog at Ted's or there is another place that many like better, but I can't seem to remember the name right now. I do think if promoted the fish sandwich could be a headliner for visitors, but I doubt a visitor coming here would think of a fish sandwich.
It's weck.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 AM

2,153 posts, read 1,616,377 times
It is, however, pronounced as "wick" by Buffalonians... hence the confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh