Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 12:37 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,220,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Honestly Hopes -- gotta agree with you here. I've met a number of politically correct California racists.... when they find out where I live (in a poor Latino neighborhood -- but when we moved here it was black) they get whiter. From fear -- they talk the talk but to live among.... them? Eegads. Just can't do it, Muffy.

As for the Indian/Native American thing? When I worked at the bank, I had a number of customers who were Native American, and some of them prefer the term Indian..... so I let them that, and remembered. It was a no harm, no foul sort of thing.

But in all honesty, white people need to stop being offended and defensive for every one else. In reality it's patronizing, and in fact rather keeps "those people" at arms length.
Interesting. I work for a large healthcare organization and frequently interact with professionally and financially successful people (much more than me) whose ancestors clearly did not live among mine in Europe. I can't think of a single instance where discussion of how to reference mine or their ethnic heritage even came up. Same for coworkers of varying ethnic heritage. Maybe everyone i just being polite rather than 'real', I don't know.

I don't know what neighborhoods everyone lives in, but the defining factor seems to be money and not the color of a person's skin. Dr. X isn't living with poor people of any ethnicity. Seems like the low-income and older generations (who are more likely to claim only one or two ethnic heritages) make a bigger deal about ethnic divisions, living quarters, etc., and if you have money chances are (but of course not always) you've transcended that a bit and are just living in a nice neighborhood not worrying about whether your neighbor or whomever is white or black or whatever (unless said neighbor is somehow referencing it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 01:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,831,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
I don't know what neighborhoods everyone lives in, but the defining factor seems to be money and not the color of a person's skin. Dr. X isn't living with poor people of any ethnicity. Seems like the low-income and older generations (who are more likely to claim only one or two ethnic heritages) make a bigger deal about ethnic divisions, living quarters, etc., and if you have money chances are (but of course not always) you've transcended that a bit and are just living in a nice neighborhood not worrying about whether your neighbor or whomever is white or black or whatever (unless said neighbor is somehow referencing it).
Define old. I was recently asked for the first time if I qualified for an AARP discount. My upbringing was upper middle class. I live in an upper middle class suburb. I have friends from all walks of life. I don't think in terms of ethnicity in my daily life. I'm mostly Irish but I don't think of myself as Irish. I don't wear green on St. Patrick's day. I don't know how to cook proper potato soup. I've tried once or twice and failed.

I am simply fascinated with ethnic history of regions. I love that Pittsburgh has a rich diverse ethnic background and all of the little ethnic neighborhoods and food. I was interested in the German feel in Vermont. It's clearly very early colonial. I love the old architecture of New England. But it's like Germans moved into the area and built little German hotels, and restaurants and villages here and there. Most of this was built in the 60s. I was interested in that history, but I'll never find out because nobody wanted to talk about it. I had completely forgotten about hearing something about Nazi money in the past. I truly suspect that the developers and investors simply wanted the resorts to have a Alps feel, especially since everyone is claiming there isn't a German population there.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:23 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,858,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't know how to cook proper potato soup. I've tried once or twice and failed.
1. Don't overblend it (or over-puree it in the food processor).

2. Don't think of it as Irish. Use leeks and call it Vichysoisse. It's delicious.

3. Add a little bit of curry powder when you're sauteeing the leeks and onions (if you're thus inclined).

Old 03-16-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
1. Don't overblend it (or over-puree it in the food processor).

2. Don't think of it as Irish. Use leeks and call it Vichysoisse. It's delicious.

3. Add a little bit of curry powder when you're sauteeing the leeks and onions (if you're thus inclined).
Okay! I'll try it this weekend.

I shouldn't have followed a recipe. My cooking is better when I wing it.

My mother only made potato soup like five times in my childhood. It was delicious. I've never found anything like it.

Thanks for inspiring me to stop searching for it and to create my own version.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:43 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,595,378 times
See, another reason why you shouldn't drive the Southern Tier Expressway.

That and apparently you don't read road signs, as in the ones at the NY border that say talking on a hand held phone is illegal and have for a couple years.

What the hell is the word it's bleeping out? There are two I can think of so far with that many letters. Either's repeated usage there would be a mildly cringe-worthy cap off to your story. (Once, eh, okay, several times not so much.)

Old 03-16-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
See, another reason why you shouldn't drive the Southern Tier Expressway.
Funny! I just reread the old thread about the Southern Tier Expressway. I had forgotten about the dangers of being pulled over by the Marshalls, since you aren't protected by US law there. There's man!

Quote:
That and apparently you don't read road signs, as in the ones at the NY border that say talking on a hand held phone is illegal and have for a couple years.
When entering New York via I-86? Are you sure? I've never seen a sign. It could be there.

Quote:
What the hell is the word it's bleeping out? There are two I can think of so far with that many letters. Either's repeated usage there would be a mildly cringe-worthy cap off to your story. (Once, eh, okay, several times not so much.)
Schm*ck -- an obnoxious, stupid, or contemptible person, according to the dictionary and my usage.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:16 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Honestly Hopes -- gotta agree with you here. I've met a number of politically correct California racists.... when they find out where I live (in a poor Latino neighborhood -- but when we moved here it was black) they get whiter. From fear -- they talk the talk but to live among.... them? Eegads. Just can't do it, Muffy.

As for the Indian/Native American thing? When I worked at the bank, I had a number of customers who were Native American, and some of them prefer the term Indian..... so I let them that, and remembered. It was a no harm, no foul sort of thing.

But in all honesty, white people need to stop being offended and defensive for every one else. In reality it's patronizing, and in fact rather keeps "those people" at arms length.
I have read (no personal experience) that older Indians/Native Americans prefer "Indian" and the younger ones like "Native American".

Old 03-16-2013, 02:23 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,872,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Indians were basically entirely driven out of western Pennsylvania and into Ohio and Canada in the second half 18th century.

Untitled Document

Old 03-16-2013, 02:56 PM

64 posts, read 91,435 times
Quote:
When entering New York via I-86? Are you sure? I've never seen a sign. It could be there.

Schm*ck -- an obnoxious, stupid, or contemptible person, according to the dictionary and my usage.
I don't know if there's a sign on 86 actually....I know there's one on 90 as it becomes the Thruway, but to be honest, I can't recall one on 86, and I drive it pretty frequently.

I can't believe "schm*ck* is bleeped out...that's pretty, schm*cking stupid!

As for the whole PC Indian thing...I don't know, I'm from WNY and grew up close to a reservation. I have a friend who is part Indian/NA and if you want to see someone NOT be politically correct about his own heritage, you talk to this guy. I've used Indian all my life and never had someone get an attitude about it.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:34 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,220,663 times
Quote:
Define old. I was recently asked for the first time if I qualified for an AARP discount. My upbringing was upper middle class. I live in an upper middle class suburb. I have friends from all walks of life. I don't think in terms of ethnicity in my daily life. I'm mostly Irish but I don't think of myself as Irish. I don't wear green on St. Patrick's day. I don't know how to cook proper potato soup. I've tried once or twice and failed.
I realize your interests were historical rather than trying to figure out how the contemporary local population was guided by their ethnic heritage, which in most places these days is about on the level of your Irish traditions (that is, if people are even aware of their heritage at all. Nothing wrong with looking back and acknowledging that early immigrants let their old world culture influence what they i here.

I'd say that older for something like that means more like "how long has the family been in America" rather than a particular year. It seems like after a couple generations people are usually pretty well assimilated and aren't speaking Italian or Russian or whatever and the other elements of their heritage are much less important than they would have been for the first generation or two. Like, a third generation American doesn't have much business calling themselves "insert your great grandparent's country of orgin here"-American, especially if there has been marriage with other nationalities over the years and they don't have a clue about the country of origin, etc. I don't know...I'm sort of making this up as I go rather than basing it on any informed researched, so take it with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh