Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 12:17 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,660 times

Advertisements

I was looking through one of my books, looking for something else, and found this picture of a "cottage" at the old Morganza (Western State School and Hospital, aka Western Center, aka Canonsburg Youth Development Center, etc.)

I thought you might enjoy the photo., since it's not published online anyplace that I have ever seen. There are other photos of what was left of the campus buildings in 2009-2010. I can vaguely remember passing by on I-79 and seeing some Mansard roofs up there, along with the 1920s replacement Admin building that had the big copper steeple.

The book that I scanned this from is:
Preserving Our Past, Landmark Architecture of Washington County, Pennsylvania.
Written by Washington County History and Landmarks Foundation in cooperation with the Bicentennial Commission of Pennsylvania. 1975.
Printed by Walsworth Publishing, Company, Marceline, Missouri.
(Has no ISBN numbers.)
Attached Thumbnails
Photo of a Morganza "cottage"   (Canonsburg / Southpointe now)-morganza2a.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 01:09 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
I love a nice Mansard roof. I grew up on a street that had a number of these, and other Victorian-era houses, and I always liked looking at them, even though some of them, I thought, were haunted.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:53 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
The book that I scanned this from is:
Preserving Our Past, Landmark Architecture of Washington County, Pennsylvania.
Written by Washington County History and Landmarks Foundation in cooperation with the Bicentennial Commission of Pennsylvania. 1975.
Printed by Walsworth Publishing, Company, Marceline, Missouri.
(Has no ISBN numbers.)
Ha, that's where my mom grew up! She knew the Walsworth family.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Very beautiful. Is this still standing?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:34 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,660 times
No. It's been gone for years. I think those "cottages" were still there in the '80s but I don't know when they were demolished. I just remember driving by (on I-79) and wondering what those big old buildings were, up on the hill.

They tore down the last of the Morganza buildings back in Dec. 2011. Before that, much of the land was sold and became the Southpointe business park development.
Canonsburg PA: Morganza Demolition | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Western Center - Abandoned Photography at Opacity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: