Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 08:02 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
So there you have it.It`s all about union busting and putting 3,000 people out of work so the taxpayer`s can give them unemployment and food stamps. Speaking of which,the Walmart employees that will be selling liquor already collect food stamps.It`s a shame that there`s so much envy of those with good jobs.Envy,of course,is one of the 7 deadly sins.
If any PLCB retail store staff could make it at a retailer like Total Wine, I'd be impressed.

Having lived in NY/CT/MA, There are plenty of folks in the Northeast who've had decent careers working in wine/liquor retail where having product knowledge is valued. The more you know and the better customer service you provide, the farther you can go. All the PLCB union does is protect people who shouldn't be in this business in the first place.

I'm all for unions when it comes to ensuring safe working conditions and protections for skilled jobs. These aren't skilled jobs. In fact I think the PLCB goes out of its way to find unemployable relatives of state officials. They are simply terrible in terms of knowledge, service and caring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 08:10 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
They are simply terrible in terms of knowledge, service and caring.
I am very eager for reform, but that's just not what I have seen as far as the employees. They've always been as friendly enough and helpful. I can't really speak for knowledge since I drink boxed wine and bourbon, I've never had any big questions.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:16 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
I say,if it ain`t broke,don`t fix it.I doubt very much if Giant Eagle,Walmart or Sheetz will carry the kind of inventory that the State Stores do.The profits are returned to the state`s general fund instead of the Shapira and Walton family`s pockets.I can envision asking the tatooed employee with the ring in his nose what kind of wine is good with your turkey dinner..."it`s all good dude". I like stores with well dressed knowledgable employees who make enough money that we don`t have to provide them with Medicaid and Food stamps.I can`t help it if I`m old school and I like to see people making a living wage.Your telegraph office analogy is weak at best.Those offices weren`t returning money to the state and they were eliminated by technology,not greed.
None these things are a problem in other states where consumers have a choice outside of the state run monopoly. And its the large taxes on liquor that brings in the revenue to the general fund which are not going away. I likewise have not met any of these knowledgeable employees you speak of. I'd rather have a tatood guy with a nose ring who knew about spirits assist me then the schleps that I have had the privilage to shop with in our stores.

While I'm not in favor of someone needing to be on food stamps or medicaid, I fail to see how it can even be an argument to say that its somehow less burdensome for taxpayers to provide a state store worker with their salary, retirement benefits & medical coverage. (though I likewise believe if there are any competent/knowledgeable state store workers out there, they should be able to find a better then minimum wage job outisde of the state store anyways, as for the rest, they better look to acquire some marketable skills.)

Its time for PA to join the rest of the country (world) and get out of the dark ages of over regulating wines & spirits.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:25 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
The tatooed guy who`s more than likely worked at 5 or 6 different jobs in the last 2 years is knowledgeable on wines and spirits? Possible but unlikely.I don`t mind paying for other people`s retirement,healthcare,etc. but I`ve never really been a selfish type of guy.If you think this is burdensome I would suggest that you`ve never really had a "burden" in your life.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:32 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
The tatooed guy who`s more than likely worked at 5 or 6 different jobs in the last 2 years is knowledgeable on wines and spirits? Possible but unlikely.I don`t mind paying for other people`s retirement,healthcare,etc. but I`ve never really been a selfish type of guy.If you think this is burdensome I would suggest that you`ve never really had a "burden" in your life.
Why the disdain for those that are inked?
As for the rest, please reread the post in question to understand how the term burdensome was actually used.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:32 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
i dont either but i do mind paying extra for inferior quality. plcb employees are generally lazy and lack knowledge of the product they sell. if they do have knowledge their union contract must prevent them from sharing it. the plcb makes little in the way of profits. is there another business where 77% of customers are dissatisfied? the fact is in a competitive market if one store doesnt have what i want im free to go to another. if the monopoly were private it would be illegal.
aside from union shills theres really no coherent argument for soviet style wine sales.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
After 80 years they don't need to leapfrog all the way up to the way New York and New Jersey controls alcohol sales.
Why not? What is the justification for partial privatization?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Except for the locally made wine, grocery stores in Nebraska are like that. Fortunately, you can get regular wine. Last time I was back, there was somebody giving away free bourbon samples in the store. The samples were too small to be of use and you could only get one.
Hey, there is Nebraska wine, too!
Nebraska Wine.com ? Nebraska Wines, Nebraska Wineries, Nebraska Vineyards, Wines from Nebraska

One can also buy almost any alcoholic beverage in grocery stores in Illinois and California. Colorado has separate liquor stores, usually conveniently located next door to or a few doors down from the grocery stores. One store per chain (e.g. Safeway, etc) can get a liquor license to sell liquor in the store. These stores are generally located in Denver.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:06 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The State Store system was founded by Gov. Pinchot, who was a hardline advocate for temperance, but was forced by the General Assembly to come up with a way to sell booze in Pennsylvania.

Pinchot's innovative mind came up with the state store system, to make it a bit difficult for folks to buy liquor in PA.

I think a lot of the true believers in Pinchot's system only had their epiphany when Act 195 was passed in 1970, unionizing the state employees.
Yes, I know the origins of the state stores, and there actually is a strong push from the remaining temperance movement to keep the stores for this very same reason. I'm not sure how valid that strategy is though, it's not like the state stores refuse to sell to people or are not open on Sundays anymore. The big fight though is mainly coming from the union and to a lesser extend the beer distributors. They know their monopoly is next on the chopping block.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:51 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Careful what you wish for. I spend a lot of time near Jamestown, NY and I always stop at the Edinboro exit for two things: gas and rum. Gas is usually 30-40 cents lower in PA. The rum that I buy is 2 bucks less in PA. Will that change?

How many liquor store hold ups have you heard of in PA? Happens everyday in NY and NJ.

And do I need some clerk to tell me what wine to buy, don't think so.

Should be fun.

Last edited by Copanut; 03-23-2013 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: pour spilling and grammer

Old 03-23-2013, 02:07 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
How many liquor store hold ups have you heard of in PA? Happens everyday in NY and NJ.
That's probably a sign of how inconvenient the liquor stores are. If the state put them somewhere useful, they'd get robbed more often, like the banks and gas stations do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh